Macan S - config advice pls

All your ordering information here!
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

On-Track wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:56 am
SAC1 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:57 am
REITSY wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:48 am Couple of new questions.

As I am never going to change a tyre (useless with that sort of thing) and I assume mostt Macan owners get a new tyre and not a repair why do so many people buy the spare wheel over the compressor kit. Both salesman have said the cheaper option is more useful.
On the 14 versus 18 way seats. I tested the 18 way and felt I sat on tthem not in them unless I reduced the side bolstering air fill to minimum. I'm not going to be chucking my Macan round corners like by 718 so are the 14s as comfy as the 18s (once I had adjusted them)? Do you find you move all over the place on normal driving? My OPC dont have a Macan with Comfort for me to try
How many sudden tyre deflations have you had in the past? Most punctures are slow punctures [nail, screw etc] and do not cause rapid deflation. If you should be unfortunate enough to get a complete deflation, then call Porsche Assist [the AA] and they will sort it out for you. Even if you are willing to do a roadside tyre swap, you still have the problem of then putting the full size, heavy, dirty wheel somewhere onboard your Macan.

Have you tried the 8-way seats?......don't dismiss them until you have.
Steve: Agree with you about the spare. In regard to the 8-way seats, I know you're a fan but I think I'm right in saying that the 8-way seats on your GTS are different to those on an S.
Yes the GTS 8-way are different, but my SD had 8-way and Alcantara centre panels = very comfortable and they gripped better than all leather. Also heated the front seats quicker than the all leather option.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver

REITSY

Post by REITSY »

Just loaded up configurator and a few changes coming to light due to new model year.
Base price has shot up :( and some small reductions off a couple of options I had but don't really dent the price increase.
The Tyre compressor has also been deleted and we have a new colour - Copper Ruby Metallic !

Capture.PNG

Deleted User 4752

Post by Deleted User 4752 »

As I am never going to change a tyre (useless with that sort of thing) and I assume mostt Macan owners get a new tyre and not a repair why do so many people buy the spare wheel over the compressor kit. Both salesman have said the cheaper option is more useful.
On the 14 versus 18 way seats. I tested the 18 way and felt I sat on tthem not in them unless I reduced the side bolstering air fill to minimum. I'm not going to be chucking my Macan round corners like by 718 so are the 14s as comfy as the 18s (once I had adjusted them)? Do you find you move all over the place on normal driving? My OPC dont have a Macan with Comfort for me to try
Bit late to the party on this one but have had some good opportunities to test seats recently. I have 14 way comfort seats with full leather. They are exceptionally comfortable. I recently had a loaner that had 18 way sport seats and my son made exactly the same “sitting on rather than in” comment and also, even set to a minimum the bolsters physically hurt after a few time of getting in and out. They were also noticeably firmer on the butt and gave me back ache after an hour or so of driving. I also did the Porsche Experience Centre in a Macan S with 14 way seats and at no point did I feel anything other than very well supported by them. That’s throwing the car into the corners as fast as you dare and absolutely no sliding around in the seats.

I do think the Sports Seats looks slightly better but having used both 18 and 14 ways recently under multiple use cases I am 100% happy with the 14 way comfort seats and would always recommend them.

For what its worth, the driving instructor at the PEC also said he’d always choose the 14 way seats ( in a Macan ) too.

:
Last edited by Deleted User 4752 on Thu May 26, 2022 3:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
REITSY

Post by REITSY »

I locked into my spec. the 14 way after driving a Macan S for the day. The drive made me rethink Active Suspension though as I don't think I need it on the 20" alloys and £1k is a lot.
The test drive however created a load more questions on colour after seeing options in the showroom
Deleted User 4752

REITSY wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:04 pm I locked into my spec. the 14 way after driving a Macan S for the day. The drive made me rethink Active Suspension though as I don't think I need it on the 20" alloys and £1k is a lot.
The test drive however created a load more questions on colour after seeing options in the showroom
This one is always good for am arguement on the forum 😊

I have an S with the standard 20” wheels and no air. I had a loan car with 21” wheels and air. I found the macan with 21” wheels and Air to be less smooth in all suspension settings than my car. The loaner did have sport seats though, that could make a difference.

I found it almost impossible to tell when the air was set to its lowest level from inside the car but it does look a bit better from the outside with the suspension set to low.

On the sport+ setting ( if you have SC ) the air was noticeably firmer and less comfortable.

If you plan to drive flat out in every corner you may notice a difference. In every day driving I found air to be totally unnecessary and actually, for me made the ride less comfortable. Whatever the causes, 20” wheels, 14 way seats and no air was noticeably more comfortable for me than 21”, sport seats and air

Others have, however, stated that air is good when you are towing stuff. I never have and never will so I can’t really comment on that.

One last thing that is worth mentioning: the Macan S I drove at the PEC did not have air and it certainly went round corners pretty well. Air “may” have been better but standing PASM was non too shabby

Suggest you have a look at this for a more indepth review on S options
viewtopic.php?t=11714

I reviewed my Macan S options at 3 months then again, if you dig through, at 6 months. Remember, everything I say in that review is just my opinion
REITSY

Post by REITSY »

When I have to confirm my spec. I will remove air as I really don't need it and even the salesman said it was pointless with the 20" wheels. The saving offsets some of the price hike on the base car!

I really enjoyed Sports Chrono so will keep that for the novelty factor and the nice sports boost on the button press for over taking.

Happy with the 20" wheels as less likely to curb, more confirtable through pott holes, quieter and I think I prefer the spoke design on them tbh.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Whether you are going to change to the spare or not yourself is a bit irrelevant.

Having a spare and buying a repair kit for £40 from Halfords gives you options.

What are you going to do if you get an unrepairable flat at night or in an area where there is no mobile signal?

Forget any advice that says a puncture only occurs slowly, mine instantly went flat and no sealant kit would inflate this, I had zero mobile signal but was 40 miles away from my OPC so I changed the spare drove to the OPC dropped the tyre off and drove home 70 miles away.

Remember a spare wheel gives you OPTIONS.

2CD4D917-F40B-4A97-9C5A-1E8232A22281.jpeg

14 way seats btw, are superb they give plenty of adjustments and the all important squirm/fidget room on long journeys. If 8 way were the only option I would not have been driving a Porsche since 2016, as 8 way seats are to put no finer point on it they are crap for an old sod like me with a bad back.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 4752

Col Lamb wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:14 pm

Whether you are going to change to the spare or not yourself is a bit irrelevant.

Having a spare and buying a repair kit for £40 from Halfords gives you options.

What are you going to do if you get an unrepairable flat at night or in an area where there is no mobile signal?

Forget any advice that says a puncture only occurs slowly, mine instantly went flat and no sealant kit would inflate this, I had zero mobile signal but was 40 miles away from my OPC so I changed the spare drove to the OPC dropped the tyre off and drove home 70 miles away.

Remember a spare wheel gives you OPTIONS.

2CD4D917-F40B-4A97-9C5A-1E8232A22281.jpeg

14 way seats btw, are superb they give plenty of adjustments and the all important squirm/fidget room on long journeys. If 8 way were the only option I would not have been driving a Porsche since 2016, as 8 way seats are to put no finer point on it they are crap for an old sod like me with a bad back.
I agree with all that. I got the spare and genuinely think for the relatively small outlay its a no- brainer ( like the 75 litre tank )
REITSY

Post by REITSY »

This is my current spec:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PPV2UZ91
Deleted User 4752

REITSY wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:52 pm This is my current spec:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PPV2UZ91
Extremely similar to mine, except you have Bose which I really wish I’d specced. Do not let anyone talk you out of it. Its at least £850 better than the base stereo.

I didn’t bother with blacked out lettering, crests on the seats or roof rails. I think the ones I have that you don’t are heated screen ( essential as in the winter the windows steam up really badly whatever you do with the aircon/heater ) and the heater keeps the screen clear, plus it looks cool because it gives the screen a gold tint. I also have the heated GT wheel and not convinced the heated wheel is all that important, although I like the actual wheel

I also don’t have the extra power steering. Couldn’t see the point and absolutely didn’t, right up to the point where I drove a macan at the PEC that had it. When I got back in my car I really thought my steering had broke! Still don’t think I’d go for it but totally see why others would.

You’ve specced well IMHO

Things i wish I’d added are really only the Bose and the sport side skirts ( not the side blades in the doors ).

I re-specced mine if you want to compare:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PPEPZQI9