Macan S - config advice pls

All your ordering information here!
REITSY

Post by REITSY »

Think I am on my 8th configuration change and though each change the costs seem to fall as I read articles on this forum and watch videos of the car I am finding myself second guessing my choices more and more.

Macan S is replacing a fairly loaded silver C-Class estate. I do prefer lighter cars as they don't look so dirty but after having a silver car for last 6 years I am thinking of a change and though I usually don't like grey cars the volcanic looks so nice on the Macan thtough I have again read it looks really dirty quite quickly. I don't think I have ever seen a silver Macan in the flesh so no idea if it suits the car or not.

Options up for debate still:

Privacy glass - does it make the already cramped back seat feel more enclosed?
Auto dimming mirrors - had them on every car I've owned but I see a lot of people don't bother with them
Sports Chrono - can't see myself ever using launch control. Is it really worth it for the other elements you get?
PDLS Plus - spend most of my night driving on well lit motorways or in town. Is it worth the extra?
Heated windscreen - think I scrapped the snow/ice off the windscreen less than 10 times in the last 12 months.
PTV Plus - does this make a big difference for cornering flatness and is it pointless without Sports Chrono

Have I missed off anything obvious?

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZQWMA7

Many thanks

BanZ

Post by BanZ »

REITSY wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:13 pm Think I am on my 8th configuration change and though each change the costs seem to fall as I read articles on this forum and watch videos of the car I am finding myself second guessing my choices more and more.

Macan S is replacing a fairly loaded silver C-Class estate. I do prefer lighter cars as they don't look so dirty but after having a silver car for last 6 years I am thinking of a change and though I usually don't like grey cars the volcanic looks so nice on the Macan thtough I have again read it looks really dirty quite quickly. . I don't think I have ever seen a silver Macan in the flesh so no idea if it suits the car or not.

Auto dimming mirrors - had them on every car I've owned but I see a lot of people don't bother with them
Sports Chrono - can't see myself ever using launch control. Is it really worth it for the other elements you get?
PDLS Plus - spend most of my night driving on well lit motorways or in town. Is it worth the extra?
Heated windscreen - think I scrapped the snow/ice off the windscreen less than 10 times in the last 12 months.
PTV Plus - does this make a big difference for cornering flatness and is it pointless without Sports Chrono

Many thanks
Based on my experience with a gen3 S

Privacy glass does not make the back feel cramped - has been a great option for me taking little ones regularly in the back - gone are the complaints about sun in the eyes. I’d happily spec it again.

Auto dimming mirrors no idea didn’t spec it, have been fine without. Maybe I don’t know what I’m missing?

Sport chrono, I didn’t spec and am on the fence if I’d spec it a second time. It’s certainly not essential but in uk cars the sport button is on the passengers side of the centre console(it doesn’t move depending if the car is RHD or LHD) and reaching across to change between sport and comfort can be annoying so having it on the steering wheel would be great - is that worth £700?

PDLS plus - car already has PDLS, only thing you are gaining is the auto dipping which different members have had varying success with - lots of posts on here about it. Be aware neither option offers matrix lights which aren’t available on the Macan.

Heated windscreen - I scraped ice off twice this year but I live in the south - your mileage may vary! The regular fans are decent though but all depends how quick you need to clear the screen and how often you get iced.

PTV - many argue doesn’t do anything to a 4 wheel drive car - Nick Murray on YouTube claims he’s investigated with Porsche about how it would help a 4WD car and can’t get an answer.

Things I’d consider changing - standard interior - honestly the £1k upgrade for leather interior makes a big difference to the quality feel of the cabin - I’d drop pano roof, speed limit indicator, side window trims, wireless charger etc before I’d go without the leather upgrade if I were to order again. I’d also debate as you are specking a heated steering wheel already whether to get the heated GT steering wheel. If you want a ‘pop’ of colour you can also get coloured wheel centres with Porsche logo which are a cheap nice upgrade as well. Single biggest thing I’d keep if you keep rejigging your spec is the air suspension - I’d spec it on every Macan I’ll ever buy going forward and personally I wouldn’t consider a second hand model without it now having had it!
Nella

Post by Nella »

REITSY wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:13 pm Think I am on my 8th configuration change and though each change the costs seem to fall as I read articles on this forum and watch videos of the car I am finding myself second guessing my choices more and more.

Macan S is replacing a fairly loaded silver C-Class estate. I do prefer lighter cars as they don't look so dirty but after having a silver car for last 6 years I am thinking of a change and though I usually don't like grey cars the volcanic looks so nice on the Macan thtough I have again read it looks really dirty quite quickly. I don't think I have ever seen a silver Macan in the flesh so no idea if it suits the car or not.

Many thanks

Privacy glass - does it make the already cramped back seat feel more enclosed? I LIKE IT, SOME DON'T. I HAVE NO PANO AND IT DOESNT SEEM TOO DARK.
Auto dimming mirrors - had them on every car I've owned but I see a lot of people don't bother with them. POINTLESS IN AN SUV THAT IUS HIGHER THAN MOST CARS, THE REAR VIEW MIRROR ISN'T MASSIVE ANS A LOT IS COVERED BUY THE REAR HEAD RESTRAINTS
Sports Chrono - can't see myself ever using launch control. Is it really worth it for the other elements you get? LOVE IT. LOTS OF FUN. AGAIN SOME WILL ARGUE AGAINST BUT IT GIVES YOU OPTIONS.
PDLS Plus - spend most of my night driving on well lit motorways or in town. Is it worth the extra? NOT SURE WHAT THE LIGHTS ARE ON THE GTS BUT THEY ARE FINE.
Heated windscreen - think I scrapped the snow/ice off the windscreen less than 10 times in the last 12 months. BRILLIANT, CLEARS THE WHOLE SCREEN IN A MINUTE.
PTV Plus - does this make a big difference for cornering flatness and is it pointless without Sports Chrono. I DON'T KNOW AS I DONT HAVE IT BUT DID READ IT WAS A BIT POINTLESS GIVEN THE STANDARD MACAN SET UP??? IN SPORTS PLUS THE SUSPENSION IS LOWERED IN THE GTS AND IS REALLY FLAT, I'M NOT SURE HOW MUCH FLATTER THAN AN S WITH PASM AND AIR???
Nella

Post by Nella »

I agree with Banz on the air and get as much leather as you can as you will notice and appreciate the feel it gives the inside of the car. Compare one without to see.
I don't have pano as I really didn't notice the difference as don't look up at the roof of the car much when I'm driving!?!?! No criticism of those who have pano, that just me.
Haven't got rails as there is no way I would put anything on the roof and I think they spoil the lines.
I have power steering + but genuinely wonder if it makes any difference as the steering is definitely heavier than other similar sized vehicles I drive, maybe mine isn't working?
I was advised not to bother with the PDLS= by the SE which was odd as they recommended GAP insurance which I didn't need! LOL!
Wouldn't bother with the speed indicator. Sat nav doesn't show traffic (lol) but it does show the speed limits on the roads.
I'd pay the extra for the sports steering wheel which is heated.
Wouldn't bother with the phone charger which I've heard isn't that good, use your own cable and spend the money you've saved on full leather!!!
This should open up a debate on a few of those points!
REITSY

Post by REITSY »

BanZ wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:43 pm Things I’d consider changing - standard interior - honestly the £1k upgrade for leather interior makes a big difference to the quality feel of the cabin - I’d drop pano roof, speed limit indicator, side window trims, wireless charger etc before I’d go without the leather upgrade if I were to order again. I’d also debate as you are specking a heated steering wheel already whether to get the heated GT steering wheel. If you want a ‘pop’ of colour you can also get coloured wheel centres with Porsche logo which are a cheap nice upgrade as well. Single biggest thing I’d keep if you keep rejigging your spec is the air suspension - I’d spec it on every Macan I’ll ever buy going forward and personally I wouldn’t consider a second hand model without it now having had it!
Many thanks for the answers to my questions. Makes a lot of sense and will save more £££

On the leather and wheel:

Salesman has confused me on the leather. He said as I was taking the 14-way seats I got full leather and all the £1k buys is the centre console, top side of dashboard and a couple of things on the doors in leather. Does it upgrade the overall leather to bettter quality?
On the steering wheel I couldn't figure out the diff between the GT and normal.
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Privacy glass just looks cool ✅
Auto dim mirrors - got them not sure they are needed ❌
Sports chrono - took a punt and specced. Frivolous but great fun and would spec again ✅
PDLS + only difference is self dipping full beam - only relevant if drive a lot on unlit roads and if it dips in time - pretty pointless ❌
Heated windscreen - didn’t spec and should have ✅
PTV - didn’t even consider it on a 4x4 ❌

Also you are speccing heated rear seats for £300??
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
REITSY

Post by REITSY »

Nella wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:01 pm I have power steering + but genuinely wonder if it makes any difference as the steering is definitely heavier than other similar sized vehicles I drive, maybe mine isn't working?
Wouldn't bother with the speed indicator. Sat nav doesn't show traffic (lol) but it does show the speed limits on the roads.
I'd pay the extra for the sports steering wheel which is heated.
Wouldn't bother with the phone charger which I've heard isn't that good, use your own cable and spend the money you've saved on full leather!!!
Thanks for this. I was on the fence on the charger as again seems a high price to pay. I will keep speed indicator as it's saved my bacon in my 718 on a few occassions as I have it on the right hand dial of the dashboard in easy sight :shock: I have power steering + in the 718 and like you not sure I've really noticed it.
REITSY

Post by REITSY »

I have two teenagers Jon and they always whinge about not having heated seats in the back. £300 for peace and quiet ;)
BanZ

Post by BanZ »

REITSY wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:04 pm
BanZ wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:43 pm Things I’d consider changing - standard interior - honestly the £1k upgrade for leather interior makes a big difference to the quality feel of the cabin - I’d drop pano roof, speed limit indicator, side window trims, wireless charger etc before I’d go without the leather upgrade if I were to order again. I’d also debate as you are specking a heated steering wheel already whether to get the heated GT steering wheel. If you want a ‘pop’ of colour you can also get coloured wheel centres with Porsche logo which are a cheap nice upgrade as well. Single biggest thing I’d keep if you keep rejigging your spec is the air suspension - I’d spec it on every Macan I’ll ever buy going forward and personally I wouldn’t consider a second hand model without it now having had it!
Many thanks for the answers to my questions. Makes a lot of sense and will save more £££

On the leather and wheel:

Salesman has confused me on the leather. He said as I was taking the 14-way seats I got full leather and all the £1k buys is the centre console, top side of dashboard and a couple of things on the doors in leather. Does it upgrade the overall leather to bettter quality?
On the steering wheel I couldn't figure out the diff between the GT and normal.
14way should give you leather seats and nothing else in leather.

I went with 8 way and upgraded leather. The front of my seats are leather(everything you touch) whereas all of your seat should be leather.

Leather upgrade also adds centre arm rest, top of dash, and door pulls in leather with black stitching. Extended leather also adds top of doors, I think under glove compartment and something on the centre console. The base plastic look for me does not fit a 60k look so I’d upgrade something in line with your budget.
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

REITSY wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:09 pm I have two teenagers Jon and they always whinge about not having heated seats in the back. £300 for peace and quiet ;)
Ah fair enough re rear seats. I agree with others re leather, I went for full extended and the interior is transformed imo to a genuinely premium place to be but even leather interior is good as the whole upper dash is in leather. The standard plastic dash, door tops etc are a bit VW golf looking - not a criticism in itself but it’s an expensive car…
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0