Garage Flooring

The place to discuss everything else..
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

TheTraveller wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:18 pm
andreas wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:28 pm
TheTraveller wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:14 pm Many years ago, a friend who was an Ad Manager, told me a story about one of his salesmen. Who had a customer that owned a carpet business, asked him what type of flooring he would advise, for his garage, to house his Rolls Royce. The salesman told him he already had access to the best covering. Carpets, which would keep his garage warm, taking the micky.
The guy did then carpet the garage, not only the floor but the walls too, from top to bottom. OMG.
Not such a strange thing to do. When I bought my first Ferrari, we were re-carpeting a bedroom at the time, so the old bedroom carpet went in to the garage. I also used panels of carpet on the walls to protect the car doors when opened.
I’m sure that a lot of people have put some form of door guard on the wall, to protect the doors when opened. But not from top to bottom throughout the whole garage. Not unless your doors have some magic potion to move them all over the place when doing so.
The problem with carpets in the garage is, when a wet car is put inside, the water from the car soaks into the carpet, which retains the water for a far greater time, than none. Ensuring that it stays damper for a lot longer.

TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

TheTraveller wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:22 pm
TheTraveller wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:18 pm
andreas wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:28 pm

Not such a strange thing to do. When I bought my first Ferrari, we were re-carpeting a bedroom at the time, so the old bedroom carpet went in to the garage. I also used panels of carpet on the walls to protect the car doors when opened.
I’m sure that a lot of people have put some form of door guard on the wall, to protect the doors when opened. But not from top to bottom throughout the whole garage. Not unless your doors have some magic potion to move them all over the place when doing so.
The problem with carpets in the garage is, when a wet car is put inside, the water from the car soaks into the carpet, which retains the water for a far greater time, than none. Ensuring that it stays damper for a lot longer.
I’m sure a lot of people have some form of guard on the wall to protect the door when opened. But not to fully cover all the walls from top to bottom. Not unless the doors have a great agility to move all over the place when doing so.
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

I used Duramat vented tiles. Cleaned the concrete first, applied 2 coats of grey floor paint, then left to dry for a few days before putting the tiles down.

Can use either a vacuum or leaf blower to clean them if required.

IMG_20210410_130413.jpg

IMG_20210410_130513.jpg

Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

That’s a very tidy garage you’ve got, Rarecolour 👍👍
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
andreas

Post by andreas »

TheTraveller wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:22 pm
I'm not convinced that water soaks into concrete and disappears like magic. Anyway, it's bad to garage a wet car.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

What on earth is that monster machine? (And I don’t mean the Macan! :lol: )
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

AllanG wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:22 am That’s a very tidy garage you’ve got, Rarecolour 👍👍
Yeah I'm lucky, there's a separate stores area next to it for all the crap.
The garage/stores area was the reason we bought the house, luckily the house is a cracker too (imo anyway).
Ex -
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:45 am What on earth is that monster machine? (And I don’t mean the Macan! :lol: )
Nilfisk hot water pressure washer, great bit of kit. Hot water makes a huge difference to cleaning your pride and joy.
I have a normal nilfisk cold water one in the storage cabinet as well.
Ex -
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Rarecolour wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:47 am
Nuclear Nick wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:45 am What on earth is that monster machine? (And I don’t mean the Macan! :lol: )
Nilfisk hot water pressure washer, great bit of kit. Hot water makes a huge difference to cleaning your pride and joy.
I have a normal nilfisk cold water one in the storage cabinet as well.
Ah, I see. How’s the water heated? Motorcycle dealer that serviced my bikes used one and it brought them up a treat very quickly. Often wondered if I should get one……..
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

Porcelain, its the only way to go :D TBF I had some tiles left over from a commercial project.

Macan GTS Volcano Grey 2020
911 GTS Cab 2015 (991.1)