Garage Flooring

The place to discuss everything else..
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

Has anyone got any advice on garage flooring? I was thinking my car needs a decent floor to park on! I wondered about the floor tiles that can be banged together with a soft mallet. Could do with decent quality though; I don't want the tiles popping up around the joins when I drive over it.
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS

Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

Depends on the substrate. Unless it's perfectly flat any loose tile system will move around. If it's concrete then best to use floor paint. Depending on your budget www.polycote.com have a solution. HTH
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PS4LDHS7
Macanboy

Post by Macanboy »

His Boxster 987.2 + Ferrari GT4 .
Hers Macan SD
Previous pork = Cayenne S , 968 CS , 911 , even a 924 !
Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari 360
6 Range rovers full fat + various Mercs + BImmers .
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Have a squint at:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=7016&p=146084&hili ... le#p146084

There’s also a link there to my photos.

I’m very happy with the floor. There’s a smooth version of these tiles if you prefer.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

As Nick’s comments, as long as you have a decent base choose “Mototile” ( there are other brands) its really the best choice. Had it down for years, did need to pour some self levelling in a couple of areas, easy to fit, no lifting, has a ramp entry tile and even, if wanted a skirting board with a choice of coloured inserts. Definitely better than any floor paint.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian. Delivery update mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
PMS888

Post by PMS888 »

This is very popular, but costly. I’ll be getting this for my garage soon.

https://www.swisstrax.com/
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Many years ago, a friend who was an Ad Manager, told me a story about one of his salesmen. Who had a customer that owned a carpet business, asked him what type of flooring he would advise, for his garage, to house his Rolls Royce. The salesman told him he already had access to the best covering. Carpets, which would keep his garage warm, taking the micky.
The guy did then carpet the garage, not only the floor but the walls too, from top to bottom. OMG.
andreas

Post by andreas »

TheTraveller wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:14 pm Many years ago, a friend who was an Ad Manager, told me a story about one of his salesmen. Who had a customer that owned a carpet business, asked him what type of flooring he would advise, for his garage, to house his Rolls Royce. The salesman told him he already had access to the best covering. Carpets, which would keep his garage warm, taking the micky.
The guy did then carpet the garage, not only the floor but the walls too, from top to bottom. OMG.
Not such a strange thing to do. When I bought my first Ferrari, we were re-carpeting a bedroom at the time, so the old bedroom carpet went in to the garage. I also used panels of carpet on the walls to protect the car doors when opened.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
gtipirelli

Post by gtipirelli »

andreas wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:28 pm
TheTraveller wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:14 pm Many years ago, a friend who was an Ad Manager, told me a story about one of his salesmen. Who had a customer that owned a carpet business, asked him what type of flooring he would advise, for his garage, to house his Rolls Royce. The salesman told him he already had access to the best covering. Carpets, which would keep his garage warm, taking the micky.
Not such a strange thing to do. When I bought my first Ferrari, we were re-carpeting a bedroom at the time, so the old bedroom carpet went in to the garage. I also used panels of carpet on the walls to protect the car doors when opened.
I’ve also used old house carpet to floor the garage. Had it down for years and other than the odd hoover (which does feel a bit odd) it does the trick. Not as lovely and neat looking as proper garage floor tiles but better than the paint that was originally down or bare concrete. I only used the carpet originally as I had no easy way to dispose of it. Other old carpet has been used to floor the loft
Cayenne E Hybrid
718 Cayman S
Previous : Macan 2.0
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

andreas wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:28 pm
The problem with carpets in the garage is, when a wet car is put inside, the water from the car soaks into the carpet, which retains the water for a far greater time, than none. Ensuring that it stays damper for a lot longer.