Observations from a second time Macan owner

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

The only person impressed by a loud exhaust is the car's driver......
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS

TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Some spoil sport councils, have already installed noise measuring meters road side, in some locations. With ANPR cameras, so that a fixed fine arrives on the doorstep.
That’s a way of controlling the car meets around the country, that sometimes get out of hand.
AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

What dB do you need to be above to get a fine? What happens if a noisy car if passing on the other side of the road as you pass by the sensor and thinks its your car?
2021 Macan GTS Jet Black with Full Espresso Leather :D
2018 Macan in Agate grey (now sold)
Audi B5 RS4 - tweaked a little bit ;)
Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

I can't say what the db limit is. But to tie things up, without the grief they get in courts with drivers contesting the ticket, it must be somekind of device that's pinpointed by a laser, I would think. With all the possibilities concerning software nowadays, and what it can do, I wouldn't be surprised.
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

I can't believe that OEM sport exhausts do not meet the required noise standards. That would leave the manufacturer open to all manner of claims.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8DH6E6
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

TheTraveller wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:25 pm Some spoil sport councils, have already installed noise measuring meters road side, in some locations. With ANPR cameras, so that a fixed fine arrives on the doorstep.
That’s a way of controlling the car meets around the country, that sometimes get out of hand.
Where are these 'spoil sport' councils?

How many fines have they issued?
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

The subject was on mainstream TV news media, earlier this week, (Not the Mail). It was stating that Grant Shapps, the Transport Minister is wanting to controll the noise from loud motor vehicles. It went on to say that it has already been installed at a location, but didn't say where.
I also heard, that control is also being looked at to prevent vehicles being modified, to some extent, from the way they were when sold from new.
This is the law in parts of the EU. And when we were in, the French PM Macron, wanted the UK to fall in line with that law. But the Government, wouldn't agree to it.
If that is brought in, it would decimate our after market industry.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

^^^^ not to mention Harley Davidson sales. They are by far the loudest machines to visit our country pub.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

SAC1 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:42 am ^^^^ not to mention Harley Davidson sales. They are by far the loudest machines to visit our country pub.
This has been trialling in three London boroughs and is under consideration to be expanded nationwide. Think Bike! This is more to do with motorcycles than cars although the odd super car might get caught out.
The PSE on a Macan would not even come close to triggering a fine as it is well under the legal limit (85 db?)
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Deleted User 4752

Post by Deleted User 4752 »

Bluesnose1812 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:25 am I can't believe that OEM sport exhausts do not meet the required noise standards. That would leave the manufacturer open to all manner of claims.
OEM sports exhaust on the mini ( it was fitted after delivery but was OEM BMW/MINI exhaust ordered as an option from new) had a label on the Bluetooth button that activated it that said “not for use on public roads, for race track only”. So I suspect that would draw the attention of any kind of measuring device.

Where is the line drawn though? Loud stereos? Personally I’d make it illegal for people to vape with their windows down.