Redex Adblu refilling problem

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Deleted User 1489

Post by Deleted User 1489 »

Previously I’ve filled my Macan with Adblu from 10 litre plastic containers with a flexy spout. All quite easy apart from the managing the weight of the full container. I didn’t need to use the special screw-on bottles (or get ripped off buying one).

The warning light recently came on and today I bought 2 x 10 litre containers of Redex Adblu with a conventional flexy spout, just like I’ve used before. But I’ve really struggled to get anything in, it’s as if the tank is already brim full - there’s no glugging from the spout or air returning to the container, and the filler neck overflows as soon as I start to withdraw the nozzle.

After about 20 minutes of trying I managed to get about half a container in - so about 5 litres, minus the considerable amount that got spilled. That has been enough to turn off the Adblu warning light (having left the ignition on for 30+ seconds before starting the engine, as per the manual), so the car is drivable, but it should really need another 15 litres.

Any ideas anyone!

EDZ

Post by EDZ »

Just out of curiosity how many miles are you doing ? must be quite a lot, I only had one little top up (about 4 liters) in 21,000 miles, done by OPC. Sounds like it's either air locked or false reading.
Maserati Grecale Trofeo (Primaserie) Collected April 2023
Macan Gen 3 GTS on order: Cancalled April 2023
Macan 2019 GTS Black. (On loan to son in law)
Mini Cooper S (Local run about)
Macan 2016 S D V/Grey (sold)
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

I have to park mine with the rear end higher than the front. If it is reversed, I can't get the AdBlue to go in?

Also I decant the fluid into an old, 2L pop. bottle.
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

SteveTTT wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:45 pm Previously I’ve filled my Macan with Adblu from 10 litre plastic containers with a flexy spout. All quite easy apart from the managing the weight of the full container. I didn’t need to use the special screw-on bottles (or get ripped off buying one).

The warning light recently came on and today I bought 2 x 10 litre containers of Redex Adblu with a conventional flexy spout, just like I’ve used before. But I’ve really struggled to get anything in, it’s as if the tank is already brim full - there’s no glugging from the spout or air returning to the container, and the filler neck overflows as soon as I start to withdraw the nozzle.

After about 20 minutes of trying I managed to get about half a container in - so about 5 litres, minus the considerable amount that got spilled. That has been enough to turn off the Adblu warning light (having left the ignition on for 30+ seconds before starting the engine, as per the manual), so the car is drivable, but it should really need another 15 litres.

Any ideas anyone!
A trick posted on the forum about five years ago which I used successfully a number of times. When the AdBlu tank appears full, having taken around 10L, drive the car around the block (literally in my case) after which the second 10L will go in no problem.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

Using a spout fitted tightly into the filler neck doesn’t allow air escape, other than burping back into the adblue container which probably has too much resistance. I used the VW adblue filler hose and it worked very well, has a dedicated air escape tube just like the small screw on top up bottles

gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

i had same issue when parked on my drive, parked on a level road helped.
Deleted User 1489

Thanks everyone. I suspect the container I used for the first
EDZ wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:16 pm Just out of curiosity how many miles are you doing ? must be quite a lot, I only had one little top up (about 4 liters) in 21,000 miles, done by OPC. Sounds like it's either air locked or false reading.
Hard to say about consumption. I’ve done 42k miles from new. A couple of years ago I had a leak on the injector, fixed under warranty, so the OPC might have filled it then, or possibly at its first service at 20k miles. The first time the warning light came on was August 2021, mileage was probably around 35k, and I was really surprised at how little it seemed to be using - especially compared to my previous Jag XF company motor that guzzled it furiously. On that occasion I only put in 10 litres, and based on the current mileage warning I’d say I’ll get about 1k miles per litre, so consumption would have increased significantly. I am doing a lot more short journeys lately though (I know, I know…!) - don’t know if that affects its thirst.

that in the course of
Deleted User 1489

Percymon wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:26 pm Using a spout fitted tightly into the filler neck doesn’t allow air escape, other than burping back into the adblue container which probably has too much resistance. I used the VW adblue filler hose and it worked very well, has a dedicated air escape tube just like the small screw on top up bottles

Thanks for that, might give that go. I checked my Amazon orders and the first lot I bought was Car Plan, I think it had a clever flexy spout with an integral breather (which I should have kept!). A bloke down the pub says he has one, which I’m getting later today, so I’ll see if that sorts the problem.
Caster

Post by Caster »

When my warning light comes on I just pop in 3.5L bought from Sainsburys - small/light can, easy to use (has own tube etc), no chance of spillage because can’t get all can in, turns light off & enough to give me over 5k miles. Plus, plenty of room for OPC to do a bigger top up for me foc at next visit/service etc👍
Dave

Macan SD - Volcano Grey (with mudflaps) :D
Deleted User 1489

SteveTTT wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:45 pm Previously I’ve filled my Macan with Adblu from 10 litre plastic containers with a flexy spout. All quite easy apart from the managing the weight of the full container. I didn’t need to use the special screw-on bottles (or get ripped off buying one).

Any ideas anyone!

UPDATE!

It’s sorted. A friend gave me a flexy tube with an internal vent on the nozzle part. Think he got it from Mercedes. It was a good push fit into the 10 litre container and not a drop was spilled as I put the other 15 litres in. The tube unfortunately split as I was cleaning it, they obviously aren’t designed for repeated use.

I also looked back at my Amazon orders and realised the Adblu I bought last time had a similar vented spout. However, last autumn 10 litres cost me £10.00, now it’s £19.29! My Redex stuff from Toolstation was £11.49. Next time I will look more closely at the spout though!