New Kid on the Block

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Stevie171

Post by Stevie171 »

Got my first Porsche yesterday and I feel like a dog with two tails!

About 20 years ago I switched to owning German cars, almost all from the VAG group. Recently I took the notion for a green Audi SQ5 and was just waiting for the correct spec and reasonable price.

Then I spied a Porsche Macan Turbo in my all time dream colour on eBay. In 1990 I had first seen a MK2 Golf GTi in Oak Green Metallic. It took me 26 years to find one. I brought it back to mint condition and parted with it last year. The 2018 eBay Macan is truly stunning and in my opinion looks even better than the GTi. But at £58K, was just too much for me to justify.

Then, I spied a 2017 Macan S Diesel on a trade car auction. The mileage was low, but the spec seemed very basic. The photos and spec list implied it was kitted out with, what a friend in the trade referred to as the “poverty pack” But I popped in for a look just before the online auction finished and found out it has a pano roof, 14 way memory seats, Porsche Active Suspension Management, monocrome black trim, removable tow bar and a few other extras. Volcano grey metallic. No fancy headlights, but otherwise a great car in excellent condition. Bid submitted and auction won. I still had never driven a Macan.

Picked it up yesterday and am loving it so far. So the next stage of my journey is to start hanging out here and learning all I need to know to get the most out of my new car.

Thanks in advance for the knowledge and help your members will undoubtedly share with me.
Last edited by Stevie171 on Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Welcome Stevie to our friendly forum!
I hope you are ready for plenty of advice and useful tips from plenty on here who know what they are talking about.
Photos would be good we all love a bit of a picture gallery… 👍
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

A warm welcome Stevie. Good choice with your SD. If you want a full list of the options fitted, then share the VIN with an OPC.

We do like to see photos of your Macan.

Ask away with your Qs!
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Welcome :D :D

Great news for you.

As said, we like photos :D :D
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

You will love the MPG it returns, around 40. On long runs on m/way a little more.
Do enjoy it, I’m sure you will.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

Upgraded seats, PASM, upgrade to 20”/21” wheels, pano is included in most buyers wish list.

Take the VIN to a Porsche dealer fir them to printout the as supplied spec.

One concern is the headlights, halogens are very poor, with the SD Xenons was an available option.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:20 pm

One concern is the headlights, halogens are very poor, with the SD Xenons was an available option.
Or LED headlights.

I sold my SD last November and miss it every day. As much as I like the GTS, the SD just seemed right (apart from the delay on step off). Great cars.

I too have been eyeing that Oak green turbo, I owed a Mk2 golf GTi 16v in that colour, it was a 1991, J plate and had PAS, being one of the last ones. I also owned a very rare Helios blue MK1 GTi 1800 for 13 years, it’s still on the road I believe.

Good luck!
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Stevie171

Post by Stevie171 »

Folks, a big thank you for the very warm welcome.

I must get the car washed and will post a few images. I’d love to have better lights, but to be honest I drive very little at night, so can live with the halogens..... not my choice, but they won’t spoil my experience.

The alloys are only 18”.... but they still look massive to me as a newbie. They are in fantastic condition and I thought I’d look for bigger, but to be honest I’m actually quite happy to accept them for now. Tyres were listed as 3mm. I measured them today and they are more like 5mm. I planned to change them but will save that for next winter.

My son is 18... getting a driving test during Covid lockdown was impossible. So now he is still in his first year of driving. Because of extortionate prices, I went with a multi car insurance policy for him.

My current car until yesterday was a VW Touran TDi...... multi car looking me to join on my current renewal date in 3 weeks time. All policies renew on the same date in September, so I’m only buying 6 months insurance.

What’s the difference from a 1.6 TDi to a Macan Diesel? A mere £54 for 6 months. Pleasantly surprised.

So I am currently scouring the net looking for a few subtle upgrades for my new car. Please point me in the direction of any inexpensive visual or practical upgrades.
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Just another piece of advice, depending on where you live and the roads it’s driven on.
Some have had a few probs with the DP filter getting clogged up. So a spurt down a fast dual carriageway every week should work wonders.
I live near a D/C and must be enough to keep it ok, as it’s been problem free.
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

Congrats and welcome - if its any consolation the bi-xenons headlights arent great either (especially in wet weather) ; at least you can easily fit better halogen bulbs to your light units at reasonable cost - £25 should get you some Phillips extreme vision or Osram Nightbreaker bulbs.

Have a look through the service book, there is a specific page near the back for software updates - if the car has had the WKLO software upgrade then it will be less prone to dpf issues, but the update does impact the fuel economy.