Fuel rationing.

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

TheTraveller wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:05 am
I think the days of totally enjoying driving, as they once were, are slowly being eroded away.
One of the slogans of car ownership, back in the days of the beginning of cars, was freedom. But sadly not now.
I couldn't agree more.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel

BanZ

Post by BanZ »

TheTraveller wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:49 am The Government here in Portugal, is at present giving drivers up to a 5euro voucher towards the cost of filling up every month. But is going to increase this to 20 this month, due to its speedy rise.
Now I wonder, if the UK Government might do something similar?
There are some countries in the EU I think we can learn a lot from in terms of public welfare, I personally wouldn’t put Portugal on that list. As for the mechanism of taking public money to offset real world fuel increases I can’t see the argument for it, to generate that money either you have to tax some people more or you fund something less.
BanZ

Post by BanZ »

On-Track wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:12 pm
I think the days of totally enjoying driving, as they once were, are slowly being eroded away.
One of the slogans of car ownership, back in the days of the beginning of cars, was freedom. But sadly not now.
I couldn't agree more.
Everything was better in the 60s right? Although I’m sure those around in 1900 would have told you everything was better in the 1860s…
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

No need for rationing, fuel price dictates driver behaviour. Three hours on the m4/5 yesterday and only a handful of drivers over the speed limit with most sticking around 65mph.

Mind you I saw one station selling diesel at 200.9/l once onto Cornish a roads !
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Percymon wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:47 am
Mind you I saw one station selling diesel at 200.9/l once onto Cornish a roads !
Must reflect the extra cost of fuel for the tanker to get from the refinery to Cornwall. :o :( ;)
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

BanZ wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:19 am
TheTraveller wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:49 am The Government here in Portugal, is at present giving drivers up to a 5euro voucher towards the cost of filling up every month. But is going to increase this to 20 this month, due to its speedy rise.
There are some countries in the EU I think we can learn a lot from in terms of public welfare, I personally wouldn’t put Portugal on that list. As for the mechanism of taking public money to offset real world fuel increases I can’t see the argument for it, to generate that money either you have to tax some people more or you fund something less.
Portugal has just had its General Election. Costa who was re elected, promised the working class, a vast increase in basic pay, and other financial elements. And put them ahead of businesses, who in effect fund the economy. This logic deters businesses from investing in the Country, which compared to some is classed as poor. The tax system can be very harsh.
He won with an increased majority.
Although Portugal had a massive loan from the EU some years ago, it was repaid.
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

BanZ wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:20 am
I couldn't agree more.
Everything was better in the 60s right? Although I’m sure those around in 1900 would have told you everything was better in the 1860s…
With housing deprivation, child labour, workhouses and poverty were common place. I think you’ve chosen a bad era for comparison. Especially after 1948, when the NHS was formed giving medical care FOC for everyone.
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

TheTraveller wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:07 am

I couldn't agree more.
With housing deprivation, child labour, workhouses and poverty were common place. I think you’ve chosen a bad era for comparison. Especially after 1948, when the NHS was formed giving medical care FOC for everyone.
Sorry, but it's not FREE, people just don't get the bill from the doctor or hospital. It could well be that attitude inside the institution that results in it being so wasteful and frequently inefficient.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

I couldn't agree more.
I don't see a reference to the 60s in Traveller's post or my response.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

TheTraveller wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:01 am
BanZ wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:19 am
Portugal has just had its General Election. Costa who was re elected, promised the working class, a vast increase in basic pay, and other financial elements. And put them ahead of businesses, who in effect fund the economy. This logic deters businesses from investing in the Country, which compared to some is classed as poor. The tax system can be very harsh.
He won with an increased majority.
Although Portugal had a massive loan from the EU some years ago, it was repaid.

The thing I love about the Portuguese speed cameras is that retribution is instant. There's a big sign and if you go past them over the limit then the traffic lights on the pelican crossing 200m further on changes to red - both ways. I'm amazed the innocent driver coming the other way doesn't get more agitated. I only made the mistake once simply because I didn't understand the sign.

It is the honest way to calm traffic speeds and works. Not a cash cow to milk visitors to an area.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8DH6E6