Knobs, Gear Knobs

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
CMA

Post by CMA »

Hi all,

Got my new, to me, 2017 Macan GTS a few weeks ago and the one thing that lets it down is the cheap plastic feeling gear knob. I also have a PDK 981 Boxster and that has a much nicer knob so it makes the Macans feel even cheaper.

I have seen there is an expensive Aluminium version but without wanting to sell a kidney are there any other options in between the cheapo feeling plastic one and the remortgage the house Alloy one? Nothing has come up on my searches.

andreas

Post by andreas »

The gear knob on my 2017 S has developed sharp edges on the sides of the "metallic" bit. I reported it at the last service and was told that it's faulty but it isn't covered by warranty, so I'd have to pay £800 to replace it. I didn't....
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

The leather (plastic ?) covering can be removed and replaced with aftermarket parts, ranging from alcantara to carbon. It doesn't give you a tequipment PDK aluminium shifter (rare as hen's teeth used) but may make the visual and feel more to your liking
CMA

Post by CMA »

Percymon wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:59 pm The leather (plastic ?) covering can be removed and replaced with aftermarket parts, ranging from alcantara to carbon.
Thanks!

Now this is sounding like what I might be after. It's definitely black plastic, not leather on mine, Any idea where the other options can be found and how they are fitted/removed?
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

Some low cost options..

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?ca ... gear+lever

Search for 'macan gear lever' if the link only goes to homepage.

I dare say similar items are on ebay, this one on the US site but possibly the same supplier as aliexpress sellers ? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174296638294

Other more expensive option... https://macarbon.com/porsche-2999/macan this site has instructions on removing/installing as well

I'm sure googling Macan Gear Lever will produce lots of options, such as this one on amazon (again maybe same as some on aliexpress ?

Another option might be to ask a local auto trim shop if they can work with the current plastic one and recover with something more to your liking ?
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

BABFFE32-4E65-423D-9BE8-8942667BAF36.jpeg

I optioned for the Aluminium Gear Selector and have zero regrets.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
CMA

Post by CMA »

Percymon wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:49 pm I'm sure googling Macan Gear Lever will produce lots of options, such as this one on amazon (again maybe same as some on aliexpress ?

Another option might be to ask a local auto trim shop if they can work with the current plastic one and recover with something more to your liking ?
Thanks for those, I'll have a browse :D
CMA

Post by CMA »

Col Lamb wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:17 pm BABFFE32-4E65-423D-9BE8-8942667BAF36.jpeg

I optioned for the Aluminium Gear Selector and have zero regrets.
Wanna swap??? :)
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

I have the alcantara gear knob and steering wheel on my GTS, they make a big difference after the standard items on my SD.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.