Is transfer box failure inevitable?

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
rumbers

Post by rumbers »

Hello,
I’ve just bought my first Macan (2016 diesel S) after about 20 years of 911 ownership (an addition rather than replacement). The time had come for a family car, so it seemed an obvious choice based on the glowing reviews!

It’s a Cazoo purchase so am within my 7 day return window. So far I love it (though getting used to an automatic after an uninterrupted history of manuals).
Comes with a full Porsche service history and has 31k miles.

The only worry I have is the dreaded transfer box issue. I know the warranty was extended to (7?) years, which would take me to late 2023, but is its failure inevitable? I don’t know what proportion of Macans suffer from it, but it feels a bit like it WILL happen at some stage, it’s just a question of when. Any thoughts on the subject very welcome…

8E10CE4C-3EEB-441D-AA7D-BF8A7A155B98.jpeg

On-Track

Post by On-Track »

It's not inevitable. If all transfer boxes failed then there would have been a recall and replacement. There have been enough for Porsche to extend the warranty on the part to seven years.

Enjoy your car and try not to worry.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Welcome :D :D

As said, I believe that not all Macans get a transfer box failure so it just appears to your luck or bad luck. Not even sure if it is anything to do with driving style.

Might be worth having a word with your local OPC to put your mind at rest.

PS Lovely looking Macan :D :D :D
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

I'm on my third Macan, the first of which was delivered in 2014 and while I don't do big mileage I've not experienced a failure so far so I would say no, it's not inevitable, so far ;)
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
MTUK

Post by MTUK »

Mines being replaced shortly. 2017 car with only 5500 miles. Car has been driven around London so I wouldn't think it anything to do with driving style. There are many different symptoms which cause the failure and I didn't notice until after a 3K miles driven. Just enjoy the car and be aware of the 7 year expiry date
Merc A200d - Macan SD - Audi TT - Golf GTD MK8
penport

Post by penport »

Suggest you check with your local OPC as you never know it may have already been done.

Mine was done recently and the dealer was strangely reluctant to give me any paperwork (presumably their 'invoice' is with Porsche UK as it's a warranty claim); the same with timing chain cover before that.
Having said that my previous Macan had no issues.
MY18 Macan GTS Volcano ACC, PAS, Air, PASM, PSP, PSE, Bose, PDLS+, carbon heated steering wheel
2015 Macan S Sapphire PSE, PSP, PASM, K&N [sold but not forgotten]
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

It does seem over the years that SD’s have been more prone to transfer box issues.

It would be interesting to see the failure rate since the SD was discontinued following VWgate.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

You would like to think they revised the design after so many failures!!!
Cobnapint

Post by Cobnapint »

Nelladrahcir wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:11 pm You would like to think they revised the design after so many failures!!!
I think they have.
MY23 Macan S
2012 Cayenne Diesel
2009 997.2 C4S Cab pdk
2006 997.1 C2S Man
2006 SLK 350 (factory collect)
2004 350Z
1999 Audi TT 225
1990 944 Turbo (250)
1990 Celica GT4
rumbers

Post by rumbers »

On-Track wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:49 am It's not inevitable. If all transfer boxes failed then there would have been a recall and replacement. There have been enough for Porsche to extend the warranty on the part to seven years.

Enjoy your car and try not to worry.
Thank you, good point. I am certainly enjoying it so far :)