Clicking Noise at Slow or Stopped

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
jharrower

Post by jharrower »

Hi!
I picked up my new ‘S’ today and have noticed a quite pronounced ‘clicking’ sound when turning the steering wheel only slightly from straight on at low speeds, forward or reverse, and when stopped.

I’ve not heard anything like it on any previous car I’ve had (no Porsches)

I’ll be speaking to the OPC first thing in the morning.

Anyone any ideas if this is a Porsche ‘norm’ or something unusual.

Thanks.

Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Might it be a new clockwork powered steering column adjustment motor? Seriously never experienced anything similar to date on my S, sorry.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
jharrower

Post by jharrower »

Neil1911 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:26 pm Might it be a new clockwork powered steering column adjustment motor? Seriously never experienced anything similar to date on my S, sorry.
Although it doesn’t solve the issue, you’ve made me laugh. Thank you.

I did get the electric adjustment
PorscheMack

Post by PorscheMack »

Or Mr Ackerman has made another guest appearance?
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 24-???)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PRKIVM50
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 22-Nov 23)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNIECDM4
jharrower

Post by jharrower »

PorscheMack wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:38 pm Or Mr Ackerman has made another guest appearance?
I sure hope not!!

I’ve not experienced the Ackerman effect before, but reading about it in here, that’s only at full lock when manoeuvring. My issue sounds mechanical, and it only takes a relatively small deviation from dead ahead to hear it.
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

jharrower wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:46 pm
PorscheMack wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:38 pm Or Mr Ackerman has made another guest appearance?
I sure hope not!!

I’ve not experienced the Ackerman effect before, but reading about it in here, that’s only at full lock when manoeuvring. My issue sounds mechanical, and it only takes a relatively small deviation from dead ahead to hear it.
Don’t Porsche take every Macan around a small circuit as part of the QA, testing things like steering/suspension etc. That should have picked it up. If we were in 1980 I’d say a dry odometer cable.
Macan S MY 2023
jharrower

Post by jharrower »

Skyway wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:21 pm
jharrower wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:46 pm
I sure hope not!!

Don’t Porsche take every Macan around a small circuit as part of the QA, testing things like steering/suspension etc. That should have picked it up. If we were in 1980 I’d say a dry odometer cable.
Perhaps Porsche has gone back to the future?
A3M

Post by A3M »

Did you manage to know what cause of this sound is?

I've got a brand new Macan S and have been hearing the same sound you described.
jharrower

Post by jharrower »

A3M wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:35 am Did you manage to know what cause of this sound is?

I've got a brand new Macan S and have been hearing the same sound you described.
Hi!

My Gen III S has been back to the dealer and we went for a test drive. Sod’s law that it didn’t make any sound whatsoever!! I was mildly annoyed and embarrassed. However, they ‘tightened everything up under the car. No noise on collecting the car, but after my 15 mile journey home, the noise is still there. It’s booked back in again.

I’ll update when it’s been back in again (early Apr)
A3M

Post by A3M »

jharrower wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:59 am
A3M wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:35 am Did you manage to know what cause of this sound is?

Hi!

My Gen III S has been back to the dealer and we went for a test drive. Sod’s law that it didn’t make any sound whatsoever!! I was mildly annoyed and embarrassed. However, they ‘tightened everything up under the car. No noise on collecting the car, but after my 15 mile journey home, the noise is still there. It’s booked back in again.

I’ll update when it’s been back in again (early Apr)
Ah that is annoying. I will give mine a day or two then I will call the dealer to inspect it.

Thanks for the update!