Parking break

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Many years ago when there was a steel industry in Sheffield, the workers used to park on the road outside the firms (it was flat), and parking was tight. They left the handbrake off and car in neutral, so they could push each others cars out of the way to free theirs.
It probably wouldn’t happen nowadays anywhere. And not just because there’s no steel industry to talk about.

Tracky

Post by Tracky »

TheTraveller wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:19 pm Many years ago when there was a steel industry in Sheffield, the workers used to park on the road outside the firms (it was flat), and parking was tight. They left the handbrake off and car in neutral, so they could push each others cars out of the way to free theirs.
It probably wouldn’t happen nowadays anywhere. And not just because there’s no steel industry to talk about.
We picked up one of our teacher’s mini once and moved that - is that the same thing !? 😂
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Tracky wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:02 am
TheTraveller wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:19 pm Many years ago when there was a steel industry in Sheffield, the workers used to park on the road outside the firms (it was flat), and parking was tight. They left the handbrake off and car in neutral, so they could push each others cars out of the way to free theirs.
We picked up one of our teacher’s mini once and moved that - is that the same thing !? 😂
A year or so ago, I was out cycling with a group. I mentioned to them when we were at a certain point, that I had heard rumours that a team had overturned a car here. They said that was us.
A car had nearly knocked a few of them off their bikes. They chased it down to the next red traffic signal, it stopped as they did, got off their bikes, then turned it over onto its side, then cycled off.
I bet the guy was more careful next time.😂😩
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

TheTraveller wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:35 am
A year or so ago, I was out cycling with a group. I mentioned to them when we were at a certain point, that I had heard rumours that a team had overturned a car here. They said that was us.
A car had nearly knocked a few of them off their bikes. They chased it down to the next red traffic signal, it stopped as they did, got off their bikes, then turned it over onto its side, then cycled off.
Is that in the new Highway Code for the Lycra wearers too?
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Neil1911 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:38 pm I use the parking brake, more so at night to similarly save annoying folks behind. No need to apply the pedal to release it, just use the accelerator. Whilst, certainly in Gen 2, it can be used on the move I haven't tried a handbrake turn as yet, not found enough space when conditions are right, plus I suspect it acts on the throttle too!

Time and, maybe other members, will tell :)
I think I'm right in saying that the Macan parking brake applies on all four wheels. If you apply it while moving it effectively gives you an emergency stop. So handbrake turns are not really an option anymore.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

On-Track wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:43 am
Neil1911 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:38 pm I use the parking brake, more so at night to similarly save annoying folks behind. No need to apply the pedal to release it, just use the accelerator. Whilst, certainly in Gen 2, it can be used on the move I haven't tried a handbrake turn as yet, not found enough space when conditions are right, plus I suspect it acts on the throttle too!

Time and, maybe other members, will tell :)
I think I'm right in saying that the Macan parking brake applies on all four wheels. If you apply it while moving it effectively gives you an emergency stop. So handbrake turns are not really an option anymore.
I suspect as much but wasn't sure so dodged it. Given a good suitable, obstruction free, space I'll still try it though ;) That said if the ACC only, as rumoured, only operates on the rear maybe we could devise a way to hack that :lol:
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

The parking brake only acts on the rears. The callipers have a small motor in them, which rotates on a thread, to screw the pads to the disk.
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Tracky wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:48 am

I’m not sure what they were wearing, but a lesson the driver will learn for sure, and will avoid trying to kill people in future.😮
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

TheTraveller wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:18 am
Tracky wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:48 am

I’m not sure what they were wearing, but a lesson the driver will learn for sure, and will avoid trying to kill people in future.😮
Perhaps when these cyclists are honked at by a car they should chase it down and use machetes to really “teach a lesson?”
FFS what a ridiculous thing to do in reaction to not being hit… 🙄
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Could have the reverse effect on the driver, he hits cyclists next time so they can't flip his car.

I would say a fair bit of verbal abuse may have happened before the situation.
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)