Porsche Data Package

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

I have searched the forum and cannot find an answer to this particular query, hence a new thread.

My Macan GTS was first registered 5 August 2020. Earlier this week, on startup a message appeared telling me I have no data package. I'm assuming that there must have been a period of free data which has now expired. When I accessed "My Porsche" it offered a data package at £19 per 30 days. For that the car would become a wifi hotspot with the following services:

While you are enjoying driving your Porsche, let your co-pilots surf the Internet with ease. That's because the data package, which gives you a massive 7 GB for 30 days, will allow all passengers to watch videos and catch up with the latest news. Or do you want to find the perfect music for your trip? This is no problem either thanks to the data package. It doesn't matter whether you're using a laptop, smartphone or tablet thanks to the built-in WiFi hotspot, which uses the vehicle antenna for an optimum connection.

This strikes me as a complete rip-off. Is there something I'm missing?
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Totally agree Peter. I had exactly the same message pop up. Decided to ignore it. Thought the Car Connect charge of £99 after the 1st year was enough of a rip off. :?
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
drgav2005

Post by drgav2005 »

I’m getting a similar message this week. Car was only registered on 1st September, 2021.
I’ve no need to turn the car into a Wi-Fi hub… my cocker spaniels prefer looking out of the window to surfing the web :lol:
pmg

Post by pmg »

I got this message yesterday on my Apr 2019 S. I tend to be the only one in the car 99 % of the time with no need for in car wifi. I play Music from USB stick or listen to radio, and hence have no interest in streaming. So like others I just ignored message . Porsche obviously having a sales campaign :roll: :roll: :roll:
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
zuhair92

Post by zuhair92 »

I got a similar message this morning on my '22 Macan S which was registered and collected last week! Are Porsche actively removing everyones free data packages? Data packages on planes are cheaper than what Porsche are offering lol
First time Porsche customer, following dads foot steps after he got his 2021 992 GT3

Current: 2022 Macan S: http://www.porsche-code.com/PNPANU67

On order: 992 911 GTS: http://www.porschecode.com/PP1M4DU1
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Does your Macan have a SIM card slot?

If so then a preloaded SIM card is a way forward. My Gen 1a Turbo has a SIM card slot and annually I buy a new preloaded card, I use a 3 card with 24Gb that lasts one year for a one off £45, a 12Gb is £33. Simply use the card until you run out of data or swap over every year, this is by far cheaper than a monthly data contract.

There is also the online connect services which are a separate annual subscription, ie live traffic
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
BanZ

Post by BanZ »

Had the same come up in my 3 month old macan twice today. Couldn’t care less about making the car a Wi-Fi hotspot, my phone can do that for £7pm…
pmg

Post by pmg »

zuhair92 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:59 am I got a similar message this morning on my '22 Macan S which was registered and collected last week! Are Porsche actively removing everyones free data packages? Data packages on planes are cheaper than what Porsche are offering lol
I do not think a data package for in-car wifi and streaming was ever included for free with new cars. The initial stuff for free has been car and car connect services
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

This is exactly why I want the SIM card slot in mine so I can use a normal SIM at at reasonable price once the initial one year or two year Porsche new car package (depends upon who you talk to???) ends.

I'm hoping then in theory with its own SIM and number that can be used for calls and also then the SIM could be trackable in the event of it being taken.

A blanking plate as fitted to those cars only fitted with USB slots could cover the SIM slot to hide it???
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

This may help in either adding to or removing confusion.

https://connect-store-static01.porsche. ... GY0ZmZlMDE

£19 a month for a miserly 7Gb when bought via Porsche is taking the pi55.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags