Would you rinse, foam, rinse, dry….

Cleaning and detailing your Macan.
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

I have two routines.

One for a not so mucky was. Start, as always , with then wheels and Bilberry wheel cleaner washed off with my Nilfisk pressure washer. Then pressure wash the car, two bucket wask with noodle mitts and Gtechiq Gwash, rinse with Filtered water and blow dry around the mirrors etc.

Mucky car gets similar but wheel woolies and brushes on the wheels and exhaust tips, Snow Foam, pressure wash, two bucket wash and blow dry, windows cleaned and rubbers around the doors cleared of muck, the back ones are especially prone to gunging up. Vacuum the interior.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.

Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Cheshire Cat wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:23 pm
Mucky car gets similar but wheel woolies and brushes on the wheels and exhaust tips, Snow Foam, pressure wash, two bucket wash and blow dry, windows cleaned and rubbers around the doors cleared of muck, the back ones are especially prone to gunging up. Vacuum the interior.
Why not with a quick going over with the pressure washer before the snow foam just to get rid of the loose stuff?
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Neil1911 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:15 pm
Why not with a quick going over with the pressure washer before the snow foam just to get rid of the loose stuff?
I don't understand why some folk don't do this either, guess they want that Instagram picture of dirty suds falling off the car but leaving some dirt on? Then go over with a wash mitt thinking the "2 bucket method" keeps all the dirt off the paintwork.

2 bucket comment will no doubt upset some folk :o
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
pmg

Post by pmg »

Rarecolour wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:55 am
I don't understand why some folk don't do this either, guess they want that Instagram picture of dirty suds falling off the car but leaving some dirt on? Then go over with a wash mitt thinking the "2 bucket method" keeps all the dirt off the paintwork.

I had an interesting experience this week.

On Monday I cleaned the car for the first time this winter. the Macan last had a thorough clean in mid-November when the G tech ceramic treatments were topped up with C2 as the final stage. Monday just power water wash, snow foam then another power wash and followed by micro towel dry.

On Wednesday and Thursday did a 250 miles trip to Dorset and Wiltshire with some driving on some very dirty country roads. the Macan was as dirty as I have ever seen it, absolutely plastered with mud and road crud, rear number plate not readable. I gave it the 1st stage power wash. absolutely no point in going to the next stage of snow foam. car absolutely clean, shown by running finger and no dirt picked up. So I ended the clean after just a second stage micro towel dry. the experience left me wondering whether road film just builds up in time after many days
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

So is the answer to get the jet wash out every 3/4 days and chuck the buckets out?
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Keep the car parked in the garage 24/7 :mrgreen:
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
Seventy Seven

Post by Seventy Seven »

pmg wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:08 am
Rarecolour wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:55 am

I had an interesting experience this week.

On Monday I cleaned the car for the first time this winter. the Macan last had a thorough clean in mid-November when the G tech ceramic treatments were topped up with C2 as the final stage. Monday just power water wash, snow foam then another power wash and followed by micro towel dry.

On Wednesday and Thursday did a 250 miles trip to Dorset and Wiltshire with some driving on some very dirty country roads. the Macan was as dirty as I have ever seen it, absolutely plastered with mud and road crud, rear number plate not readable. I gave it the 1st stage power wash. absolutely no point in going to the next stage of snow foam. car absolutely clean, shown by running finger and no dirt picked up. So I ended the clean after just a second stage micro towel dry. the experience left me wondering whether road film just builds up in time after many days
Interesting - so, I cleaned 4 cars yesterday! Given the amount to be cleaned in and out, I went with the ‘rinse, foam, rinse, dry’ test. I decided to complete one at a time, externally.

I started with one of the kids cars (Corsa) which had not been cleaned for a few months (but not heavily soiled) and could tell from touch/feel that ideally it could do with a hand wash too (but didn’t this time….). However, when doing the Macan and 911 (both last washed say a month ago, with the 911 garaged), the touch test confirmed all the surface dirt had been removed. So, a quick dry was ok.

Conclusion - it is the length of time the dirt is on there; not necessarily the amount of dirt. 1-2 weeks worth may be ok, certainly a few days!

Will probably return to hose and hand wash for subsequent washes (on rotation rather than en-mass); but a full foam and hand wash intermittently. Defo foam only approach if lightly soiled and minimal period between washes.
Current:
997.2 C2S, Meteor Grey, PDK (with paddles), PSE, Sports Chrono, etc.... (2009)
Macan, Volcano Grey, 21” RS Spyder Design Alloys (2020): http://www.porsche-code.com/PLVB2FZ0
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

What would you recommend here...? ;)

4FCF8A5F-EBF5-4E79-9798-C53EEB806625.jpeg

B9F7A752-84EA-44B7-9706-AF625C9BAF63.jpeg

Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
pmg

Post by pmg »

Wing Commander wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:17 am What would you recommend here...? ;)
Selling :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
pmg

Post by pmg »

sorry 1st reply wrong

repainting in Black :lol: :lol: