First impressions: Gen 2 Turbo vs Gen 3 GTS

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
FirstSeaLord

Post by FirstSeaLord »

Hi all

I was asked on another thread what the differences are between my Gen 2 Turbo and the Gen 3 GTS that I picked up recently so am putting them down in case useful.

All are very subjective, and I’ve only done about 100 miles in the new car, but on quite a variety of roads.

The main reason I changed cars was that I was offered a PX price very close to what I bought Gen 2 for pre-owned 18 months earlier, and Gen 2 was due its 24 month service + new front tyres.

Here’s the code for the GTS: http://www.porsche-code.com/PN8FEEF9 . Don’t have the spec for the Turbo I’m afraid.

Exterior
The Gen 2 was a fine looking thing in my eyes, but I prefer the Gen 3. A lot of it’s down to the wheels, as I prefer dark, less fussy wheels but ended up with unpainted multi-spoke ones on the Turbo as the spec was otherwise perfect for me.

The Gen 3 GTS is more aggressive looking, but not too in one’s face, esp as I went for grey. The only angle I don’t like so much is the rear, which looks a bit clumsy and contrived vs the Gen 2 in my view.

Overall though, I really like the new form, with black wheels and red callipers vs the Gen 2 with unpainted alloys and white callipers.

Interior
The biggest change is the touch sensitive centre console which I very much prefer vs the previous multi-switch set up, which I never liked, and is why am not a fan of the 991, but love the 992.

The touch sensitive stuff seems to work pretty well, and the few knurled metal switches are also good to operate. The PDK selector itself is nicer, but the ‘channel’ that it sits in is crappier and very plasticky.

I think the centre screen was supposed to get bigger but it looks exactly the same to me. Maybe someone can clarify if it’s scaled up, and I might actually go an measure mine to make sure I don’t have an old unit.

Elsewhere in the interior it’s very similar but mainly marginally better eg the steering wheel and chrono detail is now black vs chrome, which I prefer.

I went for black leather with crayon stitching so the interior’s the same as the Turbo, apart from the colour of the stitches, which are now deviated.

Have got the wireless charging port in the middle which works well, but the phone does get very hot indeed.

The paddles seem to have changed form a little, and don’t feel as good but I may be imagining that.

I specced the interior storage package. The under seat storage is a complete joke. Think one might be able to keep some sunglasses in there provided they aren’t too big.

Driving
The GTS definitely rides more firmly when in standard setting. On the whole that’s a good thing, as the Turbo used to wallow a little in standard on almost any corner, but I already miss the very soft ride around town esp over speed bumps, and on motorways.

The steering ‘feel’ on the GTS is definitely better from my perspective. It’s more fun to steer. Don’t know if that’s all or partly to do with the torque vectoring that I added, and I don’t know if the Turbo had it or not.

The Turbo had the Ackermann judder, but the GTS doesn’t seem to have it. No big deal either way, but more a reflection that the two cars are definitely different under the skin.

The engine pulls just like it did in the turbo. Both cars sound great, but I think the GTS has a little more bass.

The brakes need bedding in, so can’t make any comparisons, but assume they’ll be just the same.

Wish I hadn’t specced self parking (which I did as a member of the family has a parking space at their house that’s a real devil to get a Macan sized car into) as it’s hard to get the car to recognise a space, and when it does it’s not great at it eg it parked in a space so close to the next car that I couldn’t get out, and there was tons of room on the other side.

Hope that helps anyone thinking through their options.

View recent photos.png

Gen-3 Macan GTS (Volcano)
992 GT3 Touring (Agate)
718 Spyder (Arctic)

Old Chimer

Post by Old Chimer »

FirstSeaLord wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:57 am
Wish I hadn’t specced self parking (which I did as a member of the family has a parking space at their house that’s a real devil to get a Macan sized car into) as it’s hard to get the car to recognise a space, and when it does it’s not great at it eg it parked in a space so close to the next car that I couldn’t get out, and there was tons of room on the other side.
Seems odd, but I wonder whether it's programmed for left hand drive perhaps?
'22 Macan S, GB, 14W/XL, AAS, PA/SV, ACC, LCA, PG, HF/RS, VFS, EETS, 75L, etc, etc.
mueslibrown

Post by mueslibrown »

I read somewhere, but not seen it again that the steering had been re-programmed on the Gen 3 GTS ??
2021 Turbo (Collected 11/21) | Dolomite Silver | Half Garnet Red Leather | Pano | 18 Way Seats | PASM + Air | PTVP | Sports Chrono | PSP | PSE | 21" 911 Turbo Wheels | Gloss Black Trims | Bose
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

I do like those wheels. The 20" Spyders on my Gen 2 GTS are a real b****r to clean.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
FirstSeaLord

Post by FirstSeaLord »

Old Chimer wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:37 am
FirstSeaLord wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:57 am
Seems odd, but I wonder whether it's programmed for left hand drive perhaps?
Good thought, but suspect it was somehow more user error on my part.
992 GT3 Touring (Agate)
718 Spyder (Arctic)
FirstSeaLord

Post by FirstSeaLord »

Minor update after c.400 miles.

Think the damping on the GTS is near ideal. Realised that I'd previously been driving around with the low setting on much of the time. When in normal, it's an excellent balance of comfort and control. Unless the road's especially twisty my default is Sport map, but Normal suspension.

Exhaust is definitely much deeper with considerably more popping, burbling etc., if that's your sort of thing. Steering feel really is sublime.

Touchscreen console generally works pretty well. Not quite as well as the switches of the Gen 2, but I much prefer the look - and was often pulling the wrong switch anyway.
992 GT3 Touring (Agate)
718 Spyder (Arctic)
pmg

Post by pmg »

FirstSeaLord wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:03 am Minor update after c.400 miles.

Think the damping on the GTS is near ideal. Realised that I'd previously been driving around with the low setting on much of the time. When in normal, it's an excellent balance of comfort and control. Unless the road's especially twisty my default is Sport map, but Normal suspension.

Exhaust is definitely much deeper with considerably more popping, burbling etc., if that's your sort of thing. Steering feel really is sublime.

Touchscreen console generally works pretty well. Not quite as well as the switches of the Gen 2, but I much prefer the look - and was often pulling the wrong switch anyway.
So do you wonder if you should have speced the optional higher normal suspension of the S?
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
FirstSeaLord

Post by FirstSeaLord »

pmg wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:14 am
FirstSeaLord wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:03 am Minor update after c.400 miles.

So do you wonder if you should have speced the optional higher normal suspension of the S?
Didn't know it was an option, but probably not if I had the choice. Don't think I'd want it riding any higher in normal TBH.
992 GT3 Touring (Agate)
718 Spyder (Arctic)
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Glad you are enjoying it.

What is not to love?

The Gen 3 GTS is basically a Turbo PP in a slightly different guise.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
froggyr32

Post by froggyr32 »

Serial car changer here, changed from a 2021 gts to a gen 3 gts. Pulls so much harder after 5000 rpm. The steering seems to have more feedback too.