Gen 3 Macan S 6 weeks in……

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
pmg

Post by pmg »

SAC1 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:43 pm
Bluesnose1812 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:24 pm Looks like the market has collapsed - or an OPC employee is for the high jump ;)

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details ... obcid=soc3
Huge mileage for a last year registered car and yes it's a Gen1.
a lot of Autotrader ads contain mistakes because garages use a previous ad as a template then forget to change the odd detail. I have noticed many similar inconsistences
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8

On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Bluesnose1812 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:24 pm Looks like the market has collapsed - or an OPC employee is for the high jump ;)

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details ... obcid=soc3
The OPC employee should be for the high jump. As Old Chimer has said the photograph is of a Gen 1 S. The quoted mileage is probably correct for the car in the photograph but not for the car as described. A complete b**ls up.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Bluesnose1812 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:45 pm
Hertsman wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:17 pm
Bluesnose1812 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:15 pm I think that if they did a survey of people who had ordered a Macan and split it between those that had been on the forums and those that hadn't, the Hadn'ts would be much more satisfied with the ordering experience.

Before finding this festering pit of angst I would have just accepted the 6 month delivery and wouldn't have spent endless hours changing my spec and believing any of the personal opinions spouted.

Social Media - eh ! :lol:
Fair comment and probably very true. There is always going to be a minority that have issues/problems. When somethings not right we go to town on it, when is good - that's just what we expected and rarely say anything.

Would like to clarify though - I have not ordered a Macan because its a "Porsche", I have no interest in chasing badges. I ordered a Macan because I really like the look of it and my head turns every time i see one on the road. I would have ordered one if it was made by any German brand. I just didn't realise the complacent attitude that appears to come with a Porsche and its really a shame. They are nice but are they really that much better to warrant the price, running costs, and manner in which the OPC's treat us?

Maybe I'll stick with it and flip it for a profit! :o
I understand where you're coming from. I still look at the offers that DriveTheDeal have on 43 GLC s and think should I ?
No !!!
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

It’s as if…….
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
Deleted User 4752

Post by Deleted User 4752 »

I have now had the Macan for 6 months and currently have a loan car whilst they are trying to line-up the shut-lines & bonnet on mine to make it look more like a £60k+ car. The loan car is the same model, year and colour but has a significant number of spec differences so I thought it would be a good opportunity to do a bit of comparison and to validate (or not) my purchasing decisions. If you are a person that hasn’t spent the last 6 months with your head in the Porsche configurator and I parked the 2 cars side by side I think you’d have a tough time spotting the difference, apart from the wheel colour. So in the best tradition of click-bait, some of my conclusions may surprise you, one will amaze you. Joking aside, we all know its quite difficult to check-out all the options when you are buying a new car and this has given me a really good opportunity to compare after 6 months of ownership. I will only review the differences between mine and the loaner:

Wheels
This one surprised me a little because one of the things I thought I messed up on was not getting 21” wheels. In all honesty the 21’s on the loaner (they are the expensive black ones that I think are currently not available, I’ll post a picture) really don’t look any bigger than the standard 20’s on mine and I actually like the design of the standard S 20” wheels better (clearly that last part is completely subjective). But if you worry the 20’s will look too small, I can honestly say that in my eyes its almost impossible to tell the size difference to the naked eye. I can’t comment on ride difference between 20’s and 21’s for reasons that will become apparent, but aesthetically I am happy I stuck with the standard S 20’s

Air Suspension
This is the one that will shock you, it certainly shocked me. Despite my previous comments about the air suspension making me feel sick I was worried that I missed a trick here and really should have got Air, especially as so many reviews rave about it. Here’s the shocking bit, I’m glad I didn’t but not for the reasons you’d expect. I was very surprised to find the ride noticibly firmer, even in comfort mode, than on PASM alone. The 21” wheels may not have helped but in standard driving mode there is hardly any difference, its certainly no less jiggly and you can feel just as many bumps, but it feels a little firmer. Even in full-on sport mode the difference between PASM and Air is negligible, again with air being stiffer. If you are going to hoon it around corners all the time you “may” notice a difference, but only if you are Nigel Mansell and if you don’t have any particular ties to your driving license. I was honestly very pleased to say PASM was the right choice. Air offered nothing (to me) for the extra money other than to make the ride slightly harsher.

One difference I thought would be noticeable was the ride hight adjustment. I tried it when I got in the car initially and wondered if it had actually done anything. The 15mm difference sounded very small and frankly felt it (minds out of the gutters). However, on the road when I pressed it I kind-of got the feeling I was driving more a hot hatch than an SUV. I thought it was brilliant and probably made up for the harsher ride. However, as a test to see if this was psychological, I randomly pressed the button 15 or 20 time, covered the dash so I couldn’t see what mode it was in and tried to guess….and I got it wrong, nearly every time. If I didn’t know what ride hight I’d set it seems I couldn’t actually tell without looking at the setting, so I suspect elements of this are psychological. Again, it may make a difference if you want to drive like a dick on public roads, but for most people that buy a Macan I can’t see any benefit at all to getting Air over standard PASM
One last point, it actually did not make me feel sick. Maybe air and 20’s were the culprit, or maybe I was just unwell when I test drove it…..?

Sport Seats
I chose the 14 way comfort seats over the sport seats and I still stand by that, although my reasoning has changed a little. My initial concern with the 18 way seats was around needing a crane to get over the side bolsters and snugness of the fit for the more rotund amongst us. I will say neither of those things panned-out in the real world. The seats are a lot more comfy than I remember. However, they are also a lot more firm than the fantastic 14 way comfort seats so after a 45 min drive back from the dealers my back was starting to ach and my cheeks felt less than cosseted. The back ache may be an adjustment issue as the car is obviously not set up for me, so it may be possible to dial that out, but the seat cushion is noticeably more firm, and combined with the firmer air suspension, and possibly the 21” wheels, it made the whole ride a lot less comfortable. I am glad I chose the 14 way confirm seats and would strongly recommend them over the 18 way sport seats. Of course it does depend on your driving style. If you only ever do short journeys and launch it into every corner the Sport Seats will hold you more snugly, but then they limit the overall use of the car as I can’t see them being as good as the comfort seats for long journeys. But as has been said many many times before, seats are really something you need to try for yourself, and preferably for more than a 30 min test drive.

Extended Leather
The loaner didn’t have it. I must say I like the EL on my car. However, its not really something you notice all that much when you are driving the car. This one has the partially extended leather, i.e. along the edge of the dash but not on the door tops or the glove box. When you are driving you really don’t notice it. I am happy I specced it but for £2.5k would I say it’s a must have? No, not really. Its nice and adds a little extra to the experience but probably not £2.5ks worth of extra. I’d probably save your money on this one, although I am not upset that I specced it. If you have the money and are looking at other options, probably go with them. If you have the money and are looking at EL then go for it. If you are on a bit of a budget then you wont be massively upset if you don’t get it. This one also has the Porsch Logo on the headrests, something I didn’t spec and have no issue with. You hardly notice them, so its probably not worth the money

Bose
Here’s the biggie and I just want to start by saying…..bugger. I REALLY wish I had specced Bose. Full-on buyers remorse on this one. When I first got in the loan car the car I was very pleased to note there was hardly any difference to the sound between Bose and standard. However, when I got home I fiddled with the settings a bit and tuned into my fave Old Fogey Tunes radio station and the difference is night and day. Anyone that tells you they can’t hear the difference either hasn’t set it up correctly or they have reached that point in life where their ears no longer work properly. The thing that makes most of the difference is the surround sound setting in the Bose menu and the additional speakers on the top of the dash. The sound itself isn’t all that different. Its not like base sounds tinny and Bose doesn’t. They actually have a fairly similar sound profile BUT the sound stage difference is immense. With Bose you feel like you are sitting in a concert hall, with the base stereo its like you are 6 years old again and listening to radio Luxembourg on an AM radio stuffed under your pillow. I really wish I hadn’t heard the Bose, because it is really making me regret not spending the extra money on it. I know there will be some “audiophiles” amongst you that say that surround sound is fake and detracts from the original recording but you’re listening in a car! Save that for your home system. The Bose just sounds massively better. I’m very sad ☹
If you are buying a Macan and spec nothing else, make sure you tick the Bose button. I am utterly gutted that I didn’t.

ACC and Speed Limit Indicator
How do people live without these? I know a lot of you don’t like them and moan about nannying systems but to me both are crucial to keeping your license. After you have had the speed limit indicator it’s a pain having to look for speed limit signs hidden in bushes on roads with speed cameras. If you live in a city or even a suburb it may be easier, but out here in the sticks where trees and hedges stubbornly grow over speed limit signs the speed indicator is a must. Although you should never 100% rely on the system getting it right, its definitely a plus for me. Equally, sticking ACC on makes driving in traffic so much easier. I know this is divisive but for me these are absolutely essential and I am very pleased I specced them and find the car distinctly lacking without them

Greyed out rear-lights.
The loaner is the same colour as mine (Volcano Grey) but has the greyed-out rear lights. This will only ever be a personal preference thing as it makes no difference to the car in any way. Personally, on a volcano grey car I think the red lights break-up the grey and the greyed-out lights look dull. I’m glad I didn’t pay for them but if I had something like Papaya I think it would look a lot better. Happy with my choice on this one

Keyless Entry
I think a lot has been said about this. The loaner has keyless entry my car doesn’t. Do I notice the difference? No. I understand the reasons for not going for keyless entry but those aside I just don’t think it adds much because of the horrible “nub” that sticks out of the dash. I’m happy with my choice not to option this one.

Sport Steering Wheel
This one surprised me a bit. I can tell absolutely no difference between the sport steering wheel I specced and the standard steering wheel in the loaner. It seems to be exactly the same size and feels the same in my hands. The only obvious difference is the chrome rather than black bits. As this car (and mine) have full black interior the chrome on the steering wheel actually makes it look a little better as it stands out a little more. I am not upset that I specced the sport steering wheel but this is one that I would definitely suggest can be removed from your option list if you are on a budget. I honestly can’t tell the difference, shiny bits aside.

In conclusion
It turns out I actually specced mine pretty well. I’m happy with the items I chose and other, more expensive (in some cases) options on this loaner aren’t missed. Air suspension in particular was a surprise to me and it was nice to discover I wouldn’t have liked it and it actually detracts from the ride. When you spec Air you don’t expect it to make the ride harsher, well I didn’t anyway. I did, however, expect it to make me feel sick, which it definitely doesn’t. There were other items I’m happy with but not sure they really add a great deal, like extended leather and the sport steering wheel. This all leads, of course, to the elephant in the room; The Bose stereo. Oh how I wish I had specced it! The one area I have total buyers remorse and got things totally wrong. If there is one thing you take out of this overly long ramble it is, whatever else you spec, buy the Bose.

D6498CB7-5BF5-4DE9-92B7-5C7C53782F36.jpeg

Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Food for thought, thanks!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
pmg

Post by pmg »

THHGTTG wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:32 pm

Wheels
This one surprised me a little because one of the things I thought I messed up on was not getting 21” wheels. In all honesty the 21’s on the loaner (they are the expensive black ones that I think are currently not available, I’ll post a picture) really don’t look any bigger than the standard 20’s on mine and I actually like the design of the standard S 20” wheels better (clearly that last part is completely subjective). But if you worry the 20’s will look too small, I can honestly say that in my eyes its almost impossible to tell the size difference to the naked eye. I can’t comment on ride difference between 20’s and 21’s for reasons that will become apparent, but aesthetically I am happy I stuck with the standard S 20’s

Air Suspension
This is the one that will shock you, it certainly shocked me. Despite my previous comments about the air suspension making me feel sick I was worried that I missed a trick here and really should have got Air, especially as so many reviews rave about it. Here’s the shocking bit, I’m glad I didn’t but not for the reasons you’d expect. I was very surprised to find the ride noticibly firmer, even in comfort mode, than on PASM alone. The 21” wheels may not have helped but in standard driving mode there is hardly any difference, its certainly no less jiggly and you can feel just as many bumps, but it feels a little firmer. Even in full-on sport mode the difference between PASM and Air is negligible, again with air being stiffer. If you are going to hoon it around corners all the time you “may” notice a difference, but only if you are Nigel Mansell and if you don’t have any particular ties to your driving license. I was honestly very pleased to say PASM was the right choice. Air offered nothing (to me) for the extra money other than to make the ride slightly harsher.

One difference I thought would be noticeable was the ride hight adjustment. I tried it when I got in the car initially and wondered if it had actually done anything. The 15mm difference sounded very small and frankly felt it (minds out of the gutters). However, on the road when I pressed it I kind-of got the feeling I was driving more a hot hatch than an SUV. I thought it was brilliant and probably made up for the harsher ride. However, as a test to see if this was psychological, I randomly pressed the button 15 or 20 time, covered the dash so I couldn’t see what mode it was in and tried to guess….and I got it wrong, nearly every time. If I didn’t know what ride hight I’d set it seems I couldn’t actually tell without looking at the setting, so I suspect elements of this are psychological. Again, it may make a difference if you want to drive like a dick on public roads, but for most people that buy a Macan I can’t see any benefit at all to getting Air over standard PASM
One last point, it actually did not make me feel sick. Maybe air and 20’s were the culprit, or maybe I was just unwell when I test drove it…..?

In conclusion
It turns out I actually specced mine pretty well. I’m happy with the items I chose and other, more expensive (in some cases) options on this loaner aren’t missed. Air suspension in particular was a surprise to me and it was nice to discover I wouldn’t have liked it and it actually detracts from the ride. When you spec Air you don’t expect it to make the ride harsher, well I didn’t anyway. I did, however, expect it to make me feel sick, which it definitely doesn’t. There were other items I’m happy with but not sure they really add a great deal, like extended leather and the sport steering wheel. This all leads, of course, to the elephant in the room; The Bose stereo. Oh how I wish I had specced it! The one area I have total buyers remorse and got things totally wrong. If there is one thing you take out of this overly long ramble it is, whatever else you spec, buy the Bose.

Are you sure your stiffer ride issue on the loaner was due to air? I suspect it was due to the 21 wheels.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Deleted User 4752

Post by Deleted User 4752 »

pmg wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:57 pm
THHGTTG wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:32 pm

Wheels

Air Suspension

In conclusion

Are you sure your stiffer ride issue on the loaner was due to air? I suspect it was due to the 21 wheels.
Its quite possible. Either way 20’s with PASM feels more comfortable and compliant ( to me ) than 21’s with air, which surprised me. I haven’t tried totally like for like ie 20’s with air but I’d be surprised if it made a significant difference
martinto8

Post by martinto8 »

THHGTTG wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:32 pm I have now had the Macan for 6 months and currently have a loan car whilst they are trying to line-up the shut-lines & bonnet on mine to make it look more like a £60k+ car. The loan car is the same model, year and colour but has a significant number of spec differences so I thought it would be a good opportunity to do a bit of comparison and to validate (or not) my purchasing decisions. If you are a person that hasn’t spent the last 6 months with your head in the Porsche configurator and I parked the 2 cars side by side I think you’d have a tough time spotting the difference, apart from the wheel colour. So in the best tradition of click-bait, some of my conclusions may surprise you, one will amaze you. Joking aside, we all know its quite difficult to check-out all the options when you are buying a new car and this has given me a really good opportunity to compare after 6 months of ownership. I will only review the differences between mine and the loaner:

Wheels

Air Suspension

Sport Seats
I chose the 14 way comfort seats over the sport seats and I still stand by that, although my reasoning has changed a little. My initial concern with the 18 way seats was around needing a crane to get over the side bolsters and snugness of the fit for the more rotund amongst us. I will say neither of those things panned-out in the real world. The seats are a lot more comfy than I remember. However, they are also a lot more firm than the fantastic 14 way comfort seats so after a 45 min drive back from the dealers my back was starting to ach and my cheeks felt less than cosseted. The back ache may be an adjustment issue as the car is obviously not set up for me, so it may be possible to dial that out, but the seat cushion is noticeably more firm, and combined with the firmer air suspension, and possibly the 21” wheels, it made the whole ride a lot less comfortable. I am glad I chose the 14 way confirm seats and would strongly recommend them over the 18 way sport seats. Of course it does depend on your driving style. If you only ever do short journeys and launch it into every corner the Sport Seats will hold you more snugly, but then they limit the overall use of the car as I can’t see them being as good as the comfort seats for long journeys. But as has been said many many times before, seats are really something you need to try for yourself, and preferably for more than a 30 min test drive.

Extended Leather
The loaner didn’t have it. I must say I like the EL on my car. However, its not really something you notice all that much when you are driving the car. This one has the partially extended leather, i.e. along the edge of the dash but not on the door tops or the glove box. When you are driving you really don’t notice it. I am happy I specced it but for £2.5k would I say it’s a must have? No, not really. Its nice and adds a little extra to the experience but probably not £2.5ks worth of extra. I’d probably save your money on this one, although I am not upset that I specced it. If you have the money and are looking at other options, probably go with them. If you have the money and are looking at EL then go for it. If you are on a bit of a budget then you wont be massively upset if you don’t get it. This one also has the Porsch Logo on the headrests, something I didn’t spec and have no issue with. You hardly notice them, so its probably not worth the money

Bose
Here’s the biggie and I just want to start by saying…..bugger. I REALLY wish I had specced Bose. Full-on buyers remorse on this one. When I first got in the loan car the car I was very pleased to note there was hardly any difference to the sound between Bose and standard. However, when I got home I fiddled with the settings a bit and tuned into my fave Old Fogey Tunes radio station and the difference is night and day. Anyone that tells you they can’t hear the difference either hasn’t set it up correctly or they have reached that point in life where their ears no longer work properly. The thing that makes most of the difference is the surround sound setting in the Bose menu and the additional speakers on the top of the dash. The sound itself isn’t all that different. Its not like base sounds tinny and Bose doesn’t. They actually have a fairly similar sound profile BUT the sound stage difference is immense. With Bose you feel like you are sitting in a concert hall, with the base stereo its like you are 6 years old again and listening to radio Luxembourg on an AM radio stuffed under your pillow. I really wish I hadn’t heard the Bose, because it is really making me regret not spending the extra money on it. I know there will be some “audiophiles” amongst you that say that surround sound is fake and detracts from the original recording but you’re listening in a car! Save that for your home system. The Bose just sounds massively better. I’m very sad ☹
If you are buying a Macan and spec nothing else, make sure you tick the Bose button. I am utterly gutted that I didn’t.

ACC and Speed Limit Indicator
How do people live without these? I know a lot of you don’t like them and moan about nannying systems but to me both are crucial to keeping your license. After you have had the speed limit indicator it’s a pain having to look for speed limit signs hidden in bushes on roads with speed cameras. If you live in a city or even a suburb it may be easier, but out here in the sticks where trees and hedges stubbornly grow over speed limit signs the speed indicator is a must. Although you should never 100% rely on the system getting it right, its definitely a plus for me. Equally, sticking ACC on makes driving in traffic so much easier. I know this is divisive but for me these are absolutely essential and I am very pleased I specced them and find the car distinctly lacking without them

Greyed out rear-lights.
The loaner is the same colour as mine (Volcano Grey) but has the greyed-out rear lights. This will only ever be a personal preference thing as it makes no difference to the car in any way. Personally, on a volcano grey car I think the red lights break-up the grey and the greyed-out lights look dull. I’m glad I didn’t pay for them but if I had something like Papaya I think it would look a lot better. Happy with my choice on this one

Keyless Entry
I think a lot has been said about this. The loaner has keyless entry my car doesn’t. Do I notice the difference? No. I understand the reasons for not going for keyless entry but those aside I just don’t think it adds much because of the horrible “nub” that sticks out of the dash. I’m happy with my choice not to option this one.

Sport Steering Wheel
This one surprised me a bit. I can tell absolutely no difference between the sport steering wheel I specced and the standard steering wheel in the loaner. It seems to be exactly the same size and feels the same in my hands. The only obvious difference is the chrome rather than black bits. As this car (and mine) have full black interior the chrome on the steering wheel actually makes it look a little better as it stands out a little more. I am not upset that I specced the sport steering wheel but this is one that I would definitely suggest can be removed from your option list if you are on a budget. I honestly can’t tell the difference, shiny bits aside.

In conclusion

Good summary!
Macan GTS on order: http://www.porsche-code.com/PPDF6163
Ordered 25th Aug 2021 - Build slot August 2022, Landed in OPC - 29th September 2022 - Collected 29th November 459 days since ordering!
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Reading the post, I've got to ask the question that doesn't seem to appear anywhere on it.
Overall, do you love the car or not so? Would you buy another another one, if the chance arose? Not just tweeking it different.