PDLS +??

All your ordering information here!
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

PorscheMack wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:51 pm
Jon A wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:45 pm
PorscheMack wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:30 pm

Are you sure that the Standard lights are tinted on the Gen 3 GTS?
They definitely are but it’s another “seen you coming” scenario - no discernible difference to standard. Worth every penny… 🙄
Guess as PDLS are Standard on the GTS at least it's not costing any more to spec Tinted 😊
Standard on the staid, sad S too now...
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP

PorscheMack

Post by PorscheMack »

Actually is Black the same as Tinted? As the outer rim is Black but the glass could be Tinted or not depending whether you choose PDLS+ 🤔
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 24-???)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PRKIVM50
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 22-Nov 23)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNIECDM4
pmg

Post by pmg »

PorscheMack wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:31 am Actually is Black the same as Tinted? As the outer rim is Black but the glass could be Tinted or not depending whether you choose PDLS+ 🤔
On the tinted headlights the only thing that changes is a bit of chrome, (extended L shape) is blacked out. hardly noticeable when lights off and definitely not noticeable when lights on
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
jharrower

Post by jharrower »

I’ve had my Gen 3 S for nearly 2 weeks and I can honestly say the PDLS headlights are mediocre at best. I have been back to the dealership to have the dipped headlights raised to the maximum allowed.

Still don’t feel comfortable at night on a dark road or even relatively empty motorway. The furthest the, admittedly, bright light cone reaches is only about 4 car lengths in the centre of the road and less on the right hand side.

Anyone else feel the headlights, irrespective of tint, are not up to the job? Main Beam….no problem. PDLS+ having ‘assisted high beam’ are mostly useless.
Although I’ve come from a BMW with matrix lights. I am underwhelmed with PDLS, almost to the point of reconsidering keeping the car. Such a let down. 😕

P.S. My sight is still good. 😊
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Something wrong with the setup.

Even my old Turbo with LEDs and PDLS+ will light up the next County they are that good.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
jharrower

Post by jharrower »

Col Lamb wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:26 pm Something wrong with the setup.

Even my old Turbo with LEDs and PDLS+ will light up the next County they are that good.
The setup has been adjusted by the OPC. I agree, main beam is good, but dipped headlights are extremely disappointing. The functionality of the PDLS+ as stated in the manual, is simply wrong. Porsche lighting guru stated they only move between main beam and dipped, when sensing oncoming vehicles etc. That’s not how the handbook describes the function. It is supposedly meant to adjust down in stages. I feel slightly conned. 😕
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

So I’m probably going to illicit some negative responses with this but…
Porsche are not very good at peripheral tech. What I mean is, they are literally miles behind BM and Merc when it comes to infotainment, driving aids and generally clever gadgetry.
Plenty on here have highlighted deficiencies in electronics, usability, missing tech etc etc. and even the second rate stuff they do offer costs an arm and a leg, whether it’s an average sound system right down to lights that work or safety kit that should be standard!
But here’s the thing. What they are unsurpassed at is mechanical wizardry and the build quality of the bits we touch and see, albeit with the very odd exception of a dodgy panel gap here and there.
This is why I don’t really care if the lights aren’t the best, or a gesture tailgate is missing or there’s no android car play (insert your emission of choice here). I love the way it “feels” and the way it “looks” and ultimately the way it drives, and for this I can (grudgingly) forgive much. And all this from less than three days in total actually driving a Macan! 🤔
Other opinions available.
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
pmg

Post by pmg »

Jon A wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:57 pm So I’m probably going to illicit some negative responses with this but…
Porsche are not very good at peripheral tech. What I mean is, they are literally miles behind BM and Merc when it comes to infotainment, driving aids and generally clever gadgetry.
Plenty on here have highlighted deficiencies in electronics, usability, missing tech etc etc. and even the second rate stuff they do offer costs an arm and a leg, whether it’s an average sound system right down to lights that work or safety kit that should be standard!
But here’s the thing. What they are unsurpassed at is mechanical wizardry and the build quality of the bits we touch and see, albeit with the very odd exception of a dodgy panel gap here and there.
This is why I don’t really care if the lights aren’t the best, or a gesture tailgate is missing or there’s no android car play (insert your emission of choice here). I love the way it “feels” and the way it “looks” and ultimately the way it drives, and for this I can (grudgingly) forgive much. And all this from less than three days in total actually driving a Macan! 🤔
Other opinions available.
I do not think VW group as a whole are behind BMW and Mercedes on peripheral tech. Porsche being relatively small within the group are slow in transferring tech within the group to individual models and the Macan being a version coming to the need of its sales availability is the last within Porsche to get features. Due to the limited life of the Current model adding some of the features not worthwhile to Porsche
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Deleted User 4752

Post by Deleted User 4752 »

jharrower wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:47 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:26 pm Something wrong with the setup.

The setup has been adjusted by the OPC. I agree, main beam is good, but dipped headlights are extremely disappointing. The functionality of the PDLS+ as stated in the manual, is simply wrong. Porsche lighting guru stated they only move between main beam and dipped, when sensing oncoming vehicles etc. That’s not how the handbook describes the function. It is supposedly meant to adjust down in stages. I feel slightly conned. 😕
I mentioned this in my review. The headlights on the macan, especially dipped beam, and especially especially in the wet are terrible. Criticism of anything Porsche is often met with incredulity on this forum ( to be fair it is a Porsche forum) but I find it hard to believe anyone that defends PDLS headlights has ever driven a car with decent lights like a BMW. In the we right ( wrong ) conditions PDLS headlights are close to dangerous. Full beam is better, but still not great.
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Merc matrix headlights melt rabbits at a hundred yards.
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0