14 way Comfort v 18 way Sports seats

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

I am considering changing my spec from the 18 way sports seats to the 14 way comfort seats. Apart from lower side bolsters is there anything else I might notice detrimentally in doing so?

I am beginning to think the sports seats are just too hard to get in and out of, especially for passengers not used to them :D
Macan S MY 2023

Toddie

Post by Toddie »

I had a prolonged test drive in a GTS with 18 way seats, I found the side bolsters a complete PIA, too high & uncomfortable. I then found and bought my current car with the 14 way comfort seats, and I am delighted with them. I was then without my car for 12 weeks & I was loaned a brand new GTS with 18 way seats, and to put it bluntly I was very glad to get my seats back.
2017 Macan S, Carrara White Metallic, Agate Grey Leather, 21” 911 Turbo Design wheels.
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Skyway wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:18 pm I am considering changing my spec from the 18 way sports seats to the 14 way comfort seats. Apart from lower side bolsters is there anything else I might notice detrimentally in doing so?

I am beginning to think the sports seats are just too hard to get in and out of, especially for passengers not used to them :D
This topic is very well covered with previous posts. I’ve had them both and you are correct, entry and exit is less comfortable due to the higher bolsters with the 18 way. Once in they are both fine, the 18 way have a more defined stitched structure, the 14 way more relaxed, you’ve not said here which model spec you are buying, if it’s a GTS you cannot have the RaceTex/Leather combination with 14 way. If that’s not an issue for you definitely go 14 way.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Yeah, realise this has been discussed before but I struggled to find the specifics as most of the comments are buried in other subject matter. I hope even more can contribute here that have had long term ownership of both seat types.

It’s a new Macan S that’s on order so either type of seat would be an option. I test drove with the sports seats and they were very comfortable, but getting in and out was awkward, especially for my wife who is short. If the comfort seats and quality of material etc are the same I’m starting to lean towards them.
Macan S MY 2023
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Also if you have a large frame too, not overweight, just on the biggish side, the 18 way can more than pinch a bit. There’s a lot less give in them.
Unless you’ve got waist and hips like a racing snake, an F1 car is impossible to get into too.
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

Te larger bolsters of the 18 way seats are also more likely to wear / crease / compress over the years - not so much an issue on a PCP type purchase but if its something you intend to keep for 5+ years you might want to think about the visuals years into ownership
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Skyway wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:56 am Yeah, realise this has been discussed before but I struggled to find the specifics as most of the comments are buried in other subject matter. I hope even more can contribute here that have had long term ownership of both seat types.

It’s a new Macan S that’s on order so either type of seat would be an option. I test drove with the sports seats and they were very comfortable, but getting in and out was awkward, especially for my wife who is short. If the comfort seats and quality of material etc are the same I’m starting to lean towards them.
Definitely would say you (and especially your wife) will be happier with the 14 way. My wife points out that she preferred the previous seats every time she gets in/out. I have thought of solving by not taking her out 🤔 She can drive her own wherever 🙄 just not enough courage to voice it 🤐😂😂
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
stevenreid

Post by stevenreid »

Been going through a similar quandary, i cant make up my mind about seat choice, i had 18 way in my 911 and my wife hated them, she hated the side bolsters and general hard feel of the seat, we were through in the dealership and tried them all, she liked the standard 8 way best. I was going to opt for the 8 way then realised there are more options that come with the 14 way seats (memory function etc) so still uncertain.
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

MikeM wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:22 pm
Definitely would say you (and especially your wife) will be happier with the 14 way. My wife points out that she preferred the previous seats every time she gets in/out. I have thought of solving by not taking her out 🤔 She can drive her own wherever 🙄 just not enough courage to voice it 🤐😂😂
[/quote]

:D :D :D :D
Macan S MY 2023
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

stevenreid wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:35 pm Been going through a similar quandary, i cant make up my mind about seat choice, i had 18 way in my 911 and my wife hated them, she hated the side bolsters and general hard feel of the seat, we were through in the dealership and tried them all, she liked the standard 8 way best. I was going to opt for the 8 way then realised there are more options that come with the 14 way seats (memory function etc) so still uncertain.
Yeah, I definitely want the leather finish that comes with the 14 way and all of memory functions which are greater when the seat option is selected.
Macan S MY 2023