14 way Comfort v 18 way Sports seats

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

The wife and I tested all the seat options multiple times before ordering our Cayenne. Originally we were going with the hybrid so it was the same choices as those on the Macan. Eventually we also agreed that the 14 way were the most comfortable and ticked those. But then we decided to go for the GTS so went with the 8-way GTS seats in alcantara (which I also had on my Macan and absolutely loved). Very happy with my choice.
Porsche Cayenne GTS, Quarzite Grey) (Nov 21) (Mine :D )
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
VW ID3 (May 23 local runaround) (Ours)
Porsche Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue, 2018 (sold :cry: )

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Paul1970 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:02 pm The wife and I tested all the seat options multiple times before ordering our Cayenne. Originally we were going with the hybrid so it was the same choices as those on the Macan. Eventually we also agreed that the 14 way were the most comfortable and ticked those. But then we decided to go for the GTS so went with the 8-way GTS seats in alcantara (which I also had on my Macan and absolutely loved). Very happy with my choice.
Likewise on both my Macans. The 8-way GTS ones are superb and with the Akcantara centres hold you really well on the twistes without the extra high bolsters of the 18-way. Warm in winter: cool in summer too. Really comfortable too on a long trip. :)
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

I had never sat in an 18 way until about 4 hours ago. Certainly can't miss the difference from 14s. Really just while looking at steering wheels, my 5' 3" wife hopped in, commented these are nice, and then out with no complaint. I, 6'2", felt the bolster getting in/out but couldnt say it was an obstruction but would show more wear in time. The close fit felt great in the showroom and would be brilliant on a track but the thought of a trip to Scotland with no wiggle room = showstopper!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

18 way any day for me. I find them really comfortable. Also, I don’t understand why they are a squeeze for larger people as they are adjustable for width, which the 14 way seats aren’t.

Also, I thought the 8 way GTS seats had the same bolsters as the 18 way seats, pretty sure there is no difference.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Kleynie wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:36 pm 18 way any day for me. I find them really comfortable. Also, I don’t understand why they are a squeeze for larger people as they are adjustable for width, which the 14 way seats aren’t.

Also, I thought the 8 way GTS seats had the same bolsters as the 18 way seats, pretty sure there is no difference.
My mates GTS has 8 way seats which are fantastic but they are no where near as bolstered as the 18way version. I do find the 18’s to be over bolstered on the thigh support in particular and I can’t help bashing them on entry and exit. Once in them, I agree they are v comfortable with loads of adjustment available.
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

I'll be sticking with the 14s but it just goes to prove that time spent exploring any and every option is not wasted and is indeed essential for many of them!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

It really should be a case of a long test run in a brace of Macan’s one with 14 and another with 18 and then for you to decide.

I have driven Macan’s with 8, 14 & 18 way on extended test drives, the only one I have not driven only sat in was a GTS with 8 way.

8 way
No back support nor squab length adjustment
The S I drove also had 21” wheel and no PASM and it was a combination of uncomfortable seats and a terrible ride. Other 8 way Macan’s have been OK for short journey’s but personally I would never, ever have a 8 way Macan.

14 way
Great range of adjustments especially the up down, in out lumber means you can get it exactly right for long journeys. Squab length fore and aft give precise fit and thigh support. Squab and side bolsters are just right to give wiggle room on long journeys.

18 way
As 14 way except for the seat bolsters which imo do not deflate enough, even on their lowest setting the fit is very snug. On long journeys I have had back ache from being clamped in the same position. The bolsters also restrict entry and egress especially for height challenged individuals.

Conclusion
It is what suits you but for this old guy with a shot at back 14 way are the most comfortable seats in their class. 18 way, yes if you drive like you are on a time trial, or track your Mac.

It is not just the seats that affect the comfort, PASM is a must have for comfort especially if you include large wheels.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

Col Lamb wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:07 am It really should be a case of a long test run in a brace of Macan’s one with 14 and another with 18 and then for you to decide.

I have driven Macan’s with 8, 14 & 18 way on extended test drives, the only one I have not driven only sat in was a GTS with 8 way.

8 way
No back support nor squab length adjustment
The S I drove also had 21” wheel and no PASM and it was a combination of uncomfortable seats and a terrible ride. Other 8 way Macan’s have been OK for short journey’s but personally I would never, ever have a 8 way Macan.

14 way
Great range of adjustments especially the up down, in out lumber means you can get it exactly right for long journeys. Squab length fore and aft give precise fit and thigh support. Squab and side bolsters are just right to give wiggle room on long journeys.

18 way
As 14 way except for the seat bolsters which imo do not deflate enough, even on their lowest setting the fit is very snug. On long journeys I have had back ache from being clamped in the same position. The bolsters also restrict entry and egress especially for height challenged individuals.

Conclusion
It is what suits you but for this old guy with a shot at back 14 way are the most comfortable seats in their class. 18 way, yes if you drive like you are on a time trial, or track your Mac.

It is not just the seats that affect the comfort, PASM is a must have for comfort especially if you include large wheels.
Totally agree on all points
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

But I have speed 18w
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

A lot depends on peoples build and mobility as well - we are not all 10 stone marathon runners - there are lots of factors to consider, just popping in and out of showroom models can only tell you so much.

More than happy with the 14 way seats in mine, in fact so much more comfortable than the sports buckets i had in the Boxster, and less worry of bolster wear too