Year 2 Inspection Service Costs

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

gasgas1 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:44 am Agree the dealerships must be expensive to run, but surly they make the real money on car sales?

Probably varies between OPCs. There is one (Brooklands) that doesn’t sell new cars.

I know there’s a huge gap between what an OPC charges the customer for workshop labour per hour, and what the actual technician earns per hour. ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018

neilj007

Post by neilj007 »

If only I kept my cars long enough to encounter such dilemma... :shock:
Macan
Taycan Turbo
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

neilj007 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:08 am If only I kept my cars long enough to encounter such dilemma... :shock:

:lol: :lol: They used to say that about me! ;) And now I’ve booked in my T for its second MOT! :P
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
pmg

Post by pmg »

Wing Commander wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:48 am
gasgas1 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:44 am Agree the dealerships must be expensive to run, but surly they make the real money on car sales?

Probably varies between OPCs. There is one (Brooklands) that doesn’t sell new cars.

I know there’s a huge gap between what an OPC charges the customer for workshop labour per hour, and what the actual technician earns per hour. ;)
The major global consultancy firms used to operate on a chargeable rate of three times an individual's hourly pay rate, I would be surprised if garages were any different. When I was younger I used to know the logic that justified it but now I am the average of a Macan owner .......... ;) ;) ;) ;)
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

pmg wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:20 am
Wing Commander wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:48 am

The major global consultancy firms used to operate on a chargeable rate of three times an individual's hourly pay rate, I would be surprised if garages were any different. When I was younger I used to know the logic that justified it but now I am the average of a Macan owner .......... ;) ;) ;) ;)
Yes in the good ol days when businesses were honest and naive - Chargeable rate / hour = 3 x Salary rate / hour
Today Chargeable Rate / hour = Z x Salary rate / hour. Where Z = > 1 < however much we think we can screw the punter for.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PS4LDHS7
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

That's capitalism for you!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Biggest margin % returns by business type in order of highest first would more likely be Labour, Parts, Additional Services, Used Sales, Finance, New Sales. A typical Porsche dealerships overheads would be considerable and far greater in proportion to say a JLR dealership as the volumes through the door are a lot less in comparison. Thats why we pay the high prices that Porsche commands and it has nothing to do with what a technician is paid. It’s their business model and it is very successful for them. They do indeed make a return on car sales and Porsche have the best margin per unit sold, but that’s not necessarily at dealer level, where the greatest margin % returns are in other parts of the business.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian. Delivery update mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Deleted User 4788

Post by Deleted User 4788 »

On my first visit to the OPC when i decided a Macan was the way to go and we started talking about how i was going to pay for it, the SE seemed quite shocked that I intended to pay cash and not opt for a PCP contract. Im pretty sure that lots of Porsche customers also go down the cash route or am I wrong? Don't get me wrong Ive had several PCP contracts before with BMW and Jag when I knew that a 3 or 4 year PCP would meet my needs and I could give the car back. Im supposing that the OPC makes more money from a finance deal rather than a cash deal but I'm not really sure as the finance is normally provided by a bank or similar.
Then I started thinking does the 'next car possibly being an EV' make a difference into how you should pay for a new Macan S? 3 glasses of red wine isn't helping!!!
PCP deals in the past have helped me use a car for 3 or 4 years that I probably couldn't afford then. Now that can afford to buy a Macan i'm thinking that would be the right thing to do if I intend to keep it until I go EV. Happy to listen to guys/girls with more experience.
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

petew0557 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:27 pm On my first visit to the OPC when i decided a Macan was the way to go and we started talking about how i was going to pay for it, the SE seemed quite shocked that I intended to pay cash and not opt for a PCP contract. Im pretty sure that lots of Porsche customers also go down the cash route or am I wrong? Don't get me wrong Ive had several PCP contracts before with BMW and Jag when I knew that a 3 or 4 year PCP would meet my needs and I could give the car back. Im supposing that the OPC makes more money from a finance deal rather than a cash deal but I'm not really sure as the finance is normally provided by a bank or similar.
Then I started thinking does the 'next car possibly being an EV' make a difference into how you should pay for a new Macan S? 3 glasses of red wine isn't helping!!!
PCP deals in the past have helped me use a car for 3 or 4 years that I probably couldn't afford then. Now that can afford to buy a Macan i'm thinking that would be the right thing to do if I intend to keep it until I go EV. Happy to listen to guys/girls with more experience.
I wondered the same but have elected for a PCP but with 40% deposit so monthly costs are pretty low (comparatively) and am pretty sure I will be swapping in two to three years for an EV.
Don’t know if this is best way to go but I am saving on excessive interest payments and whichever way I pay for it, it’s going to depreciate exactly the same amount. 🤔
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Deleted User 4788

Post by Deleted User 4788 »

Thats interesting Jon A. The other thing that brassed me off with PCP's was mileage allowance, most of past PCP's were based on 10K/year or 27.4 miles per day and it used to brass me off knowing that if we fancied going to the Lakes twice a month I would have to watch my mileage in other parts of the year. Having said that I never exceeded my allowance