Porsche's Own brand Dashcam Questions

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
oilman4345

Post by oilman4345 »

Hi;
For certain reasons Porsche offered me one of their new Dashcams and fitted it to my Gen 3 Macan which I have now had for just over 4 weeks.
Unlike my previous dashcam in my last car, the Porsche model does not have a monitor showing the driver what is being recorded.
It can be linked to Porsche Dashcam App on my IPhone. However. the pairing was problematic as it did not explain in instructions that Car Play WiFi had to be switched off during the pairing process.
Got through that with local dealer. Now, as there is a firmware update I have tried the same procedure, but the app kicks me out saying wifi error.
Does any one else have a similar dashcam and know the secret? :| :?:

Skyway

Post by Skyway »

I didn’t realise they even did one. What did they charge for the supply and fit? Is it warranted to match the cars 3 year warranty?
Macan S MY 2023
MrBaozi

Post by MrBaozi »

Not sure if it's the same dashcam but just before I received my Taycan a few weeks ago I wanted to get the Porsche dashcam fitted as any issues to do with it would be a Porsche problem. SE told me they were out of stock and not to bother as they were crap. Loads had been returned to them with problems.
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

There's another thread with the costs, but north of £600 if I remember correctly!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

I was quoted £1100!, We agreed a figure of around £700: still expensive but negates any concerns around warranty validation for a premium of £300 or so. It's a new product and there appears to be very little knowledge about it amongst the staff in the dealership.

It took over half a day to instal. Not sure why it takes so long when I had a front and rear installed on my Macan in a couple of hours, but it's clearly a very thorough job although I wonder if the time it takes is because they're still figuring it out themselves. It seems odd that you can't spec it to be installed as part of the manufacturing process and instead it has to be done at the dealership.

I can't actually see the dashcam because it's hidden by my rear view mirror (although that may not be the same on the Macan). So it's very unobtrusive.

The first issue I had was that it messed up the PCM. That was then resolved but when I collected it the centre was closing and so it wasn't set up to my phone. And two weeks later it's still not set up to my phone because it won't connect to dashcam wifi. I've been advised to try disconnecting carplay and so will try again when i have a minute. To be fair, the dealership have offered to send someone down if I can't get it work. Watch this space. I'm reserving judgement for now.
Porsche Cayenne GTS, Quarzite Grey) (Nov 21) (Mine :D )
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
VW ID3 (May 23 local runaround) (Ours)
Porsche Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue, 2018 (sold :cry: )
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

There has been a lot said about violating warranties if third party dash cams are hard wired in. Has anybody got actual evidence of this e.g. in writing from Porsche UK, rather than making their own interpretation of warranty document language??
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

Jon A wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:25 pm There has been a lot said about violating warranties if third party dash cams are hard wired in. Has anybody got actual evidence of this e.g. in writing from Porsche UK, rather than making their own interpretation of warranty document language??
They advised me that they wouldn't honour any warranty claims on my old 987 Boxster a few years ago unless I removed the Zunsport grills I'd fitted to protect the radiators so I wouldn't put it past them.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
softsand

Post by softsand »

Anyone thought about one like this ? - no wiring, just adding the feed as a bypass ?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3240117 ... el=twinner
2022 Macan T - http://www.porsche-code.com/PN22I7J6 with 21” Sport Classic wheels in Satin Platinum
oilman4345

Post by oilman4345 »

Paul1970 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:06 pm I was quoted £1100!, We agreed a figure of around £700: still expensive but negates any concerns around warranty validation for a premium of £300 or so. It's a new product and there appears to be very little knowledge about it amongst the staff in the dealership.

It took over half a day to instal. Not sure why it takes so long when I had a front and rear installed on my Macan in a couple of hours, but it's clearly a very thorough job although I wonder if the time it takes is because they're still figuring it out themselves. It seems odd that you can't spec it to be installed as part of the manufacturing process and instead it has to be done at the dealership.

I can't actually see the dashcam because it's hidden by my rear view mirror (although that may not be the same on the Macan). So it's very unobtrusive.

The first issue I had was that it messed up the PCM. That was then resolved but when I collected it the centre was closing and so it wasn't set up to my phone. And two weeks later it's still not set up to my phone because it won't connect to dashcam wifi. I've been advised to try disconnecting carplay and so will try again when i have a minute. To be fair, the dealership have offered to send someone down if I can't get it work. Watch this space. I'm reserving judgement for now.

This was (is) the problem I am having. You must disconnect CarPlay to allow the App and dashcam to communicate. There is now a Firmware update mentioned with instructions to have the phone in flight mode. Of course then, there is no WiFi at all to download the update . I am confused and will again seek dealer help tomorrow.
oilman4345

Post by oilman4345 »

Jon A wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:25 pm There has been a lot said about violating warranties if third party dash cams are hard wired in. Has anybody got actual evidence of this e.g. in writing from Porsche UK, rather than making their own interpretation of warranty document language??
I was told this by Porsche Edinburgh General Manager. Hence why I have the Porsche model.