Anyone replaced their bi-xenon headlight bulbs ?

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

After a few months ownership and driving in various weather, road types, speed and light conditions i can't say i'm very impressed with the bixenon headlights on my SD - full beam is fine, but on dipped beam its often mediocre. In some circumstances I find very little illumination on the road, which is unsafe even at low speeds. When parked against a wall or garage door there appears to be plenty of output but that doesn't always translate when on the road. I know the beam pattern supposedly varies with speed and conditions, but i've yet to be impressed with the lighting as is. In fact my wife's Fiat 500 halogens are much better on dipped beam than the Macan most of the time.

Headlight levelling working as it should, no flashes from other motorists so believe alignment is correct.

I'm assuming the car is still using the original factory fit bulbs, so now over 5years old, and probably well over 1000 hours use - as a result, potentially the bulb output is 75% of original or lower by now

Thinking about swapping the bulbs for with Osram Xenarc Nighbreaker Laser, or Phillips X-treme Vision Gen 2 items; both are highly rated in testing , road legal and very similar colour temperature to standard (no silly blue white lighting); not not cheap but not that much more than putting Osram Xenarc Classic/Original bulbs in.

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

The bi-xenon lights are not replaceable with conventional bulbs, they are sealed for life units.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

I’m considering swapping out the now 5yr old original D3S bulbs for new D3S bulbs.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Like Nick, I thought the bi-xenon units were sealed for life but exploring the net reveals the core of the unit is a D3S bulb. The fact that replacement bulbs for that unit are available implies they are replaceable but how easy/difficult that is you'll find out. I don't recall a post on this forum from anyone who has replaced bi-xenon headlights.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

The search didnt find anything on here bar putting hid bulbs into halogen headlight units.

The US Canada forum has quite a few entries, and a few items on YouTube albeit mostly bulb testing and not specific to Macan.

Most say you need to remove the headlight unit, one thread suggest you can just about do the bulb swap with them in situ. I'm somewhat surprised no-one has raised this before, or how to replace a failed D3S bulb given some cars are now 7+ years old.
andreas

Post by andreas »

Percymon wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:33 pm I'm somewhat surprised no-one has raised this before, or how to replace a failed D3S bulb given some cars are now 7+ years old.
Most D3S bulbs have an expected life of 2000-3000 hours, that's a lot of night driving!
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

andreas wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:59 pm
Percymon wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:33 pm I'm somewhat surprised no-one has raised this before, or how to replace a failed D3S bulb given some cars are now 7+ years old.
Most D3S bulbs have an expected life of 2000-3000 hours, that's a lot of night driving!
Indeed most do have a good lifetime, some OEM standard replacements even giving 5+years warranty.

The issue is that , whilst the bulb may continue to work for thousands of hours, the performance does drop off as the bulb degrades. Some state 75% output after 1500 house, 50% output after 2000 hours

2000 hours IS a lot of driving for sure, but i could easily see 400hrs per year based on a 45 minute each way daily work commute (lights on pretty much 100% of that time from Nov to April) >> 45mins x 2 times per day x 5days x 26 weeks gives 195 hours alone, add on other night driving and headlights being on when driving into sun etc and 400 hours / year is fairly easily achieved on a daily driver. Over Xmas and New Year i spent days in Devon and North Wales visiting family - covered 600 miles, avg speed close to 40mph so 15 hours driving time - i reckon over 12 of those employed headlights due to poor weather / light conditions.

Looks like i just need to make a decision on which to buy and get on with it - went out in Mrs 500 last night and again I was impressed by the amount of light on the road ahead and grass verges, even on streets illuminated by LED street lighting.

I should try to get some images off the dashcam recordings as a reference too
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

Just to update this thread..

I looked back at the dashcam footage and to be honest it was very flattering, the dashcam has a very good night view so suspect its uses a wide aperture to let plenty of light in - certainly not the reality that both me and Mrs see through the windscreen.

Bought the Osram Xenarc Nightbreaker Laser D3S bulbs a few weeks back, fitted them at lunchtime today - total time 45 minutes to do both driver and passenger, Youtube videos helped a lot ..

> had the trim removal tools (for the plastic trim clips - 7 to remove per side) and
> 10mm socket (for 2 10mm bolts per side ) to release the headlight units
> with the headlight unit loose its easy enough to remove the rear dust cover, reach in and release the bulb unit/holder
> push old bulb unit out, push new in and install is reverse of removal as they say

Imagei want to marry you poems

Will be interesting to see over the next few weeks how they compare to the aged factory units (also made by Osram, will see if i can cross check the reference numbers to see which Osram item they are but suspect they will be the Classic or Original range bulbs)
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Well done. Yes, will be interesting to hear the outcome, both naked eye and dashcam.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

Ok, a little update. Ive not used the Macan much in the two weeks since upgrading the bulb units; but have tried to get a few local journeys in varying weather conditions. Observations so far..

> there is better light output that i had on the 5 year old factory fitted bulbs
> driving in dray and wet conditions, both on lit and unlit roads is slightly safer
> there is no miracle here - i have not gained floodlight levels of illumination. Have i gained any more with theses nightbreaker units over just renewing the factory Osram Xenarc Original bulbs units like for like is unknown
> Were the Nightbreaker bulbs at £125/pair a good buy ? I don't consider it a high price, and when compared to just replacing the 5yr old bulbs for the same units (at ca £80 cost) the extra £45 isn;t really much for a safety related item.

I've got a 240 mile round trip coming on Friday (service visit) and given the weather forecast of yet another storm it could be a reasonable test even if not exactly night driving.

I will put another update up in a few more weeks, once the lights ar fully bedded in and any placebo affect has passed.

Comparing images on the dashcam is a fruitless exercise, there is too much digital processing going on in its night mode to balance the exposure, iso settings, etc etc - pity i didnt take some photos in manual mode on a digital camera before the bulb swap.