Electric??

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

MCDK wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:07 am Yes they are dear but running costs need to be taken into consideration. Depreciation also likely to be very favourable which is certainly one area where the diesel burners could suffer with the passing of time.
If your turning your EV car over every 2/3 years it may well mirror the corresponding ICE depreciation curve, but as you get past 6 years you have to start considering replacement batteries as range will be suffering and the inevitable time when the battery fails outside of the original warranty? Let’s face it, if you’ve had 6/7 years usage before it becomes degraded will a manufacturer just fit a new replacement totally FOC? Doubt it and if your already outside warranty 🤢 This is at the point when the residual value on your EV will tank in comparison to any Diesel ICE. Many will say, not a problem as batteries by then will become really cheap? Watch This Space 😳
Last edited by MikeM on Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

RAA wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:09 am
TheTraveller wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:41 pm Did you see the article about the Guy from Finland. He had a problem with his car, a Tesla. The repair bill was supposed to be something like £22,000.
So instead he wrapped it up in Dynamite, and blew it up, rather than have the phenominal expense. I think it was a battery replacement that was needed.
That may be what an end of life battery replacement would cost.
That was a scary bill. A little bit more than what we could expect from our Macans, in the extreme.

Not inconceivable that a petrol engined Porsche could attract a £22k repair bill, seeing as I was quoted about £11,500 ‘just’ to replace a couple of turbos. ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
mcnallys

Post by mcnallys »

Agree with all of the above, it’s whatever suits best at the time for each individual. For me it’s too early and has been echoed by a few in the trade, which is going against their company.

I still have a thing for the feel of car, not quite sure that is the case in all above examples, taycan is good - but maybe the exception, still big money to get the range. IX next best thing.

If the 0% BIK wasn’t there, you can be assured the sales figures would be a very different picture.
2016 Macan GTS - Volcano Grey and a few extras (SOLD)
2020 992s - Crayon and a few extra, extras
2022 Land Rover Defender 110 D300 HSE X-Dynamic Black, 7 seats and a load of extras

992s Code - http://www.porsche-code.com/PLXDLWK3
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Wing Commander wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:30 pm
TheTraveller wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:41 pm Did you see the article about the Guy from Finland. He had a problem with his car, a Tesla. The repair bill was supposed to be something like £22,000.
So instead he wrapped it up in Dynamite, and blew it up, rather than have the phenominal expense. I think it was a battery replacement that was needed.
That may be what an end of life battery replacement would cost.
That was a scary bill. A little bit more than what we could expect from our Macans, in the extreme.

Not inconceivable that a petrol engined Porsche could attract a £22k repair bill, seeing as I was quoted about £11,500 ‘just’ to replace a couple of turbos. ;)
I think you are right about that Simon. I suppose what I am saying is that while an ICE car COULD have a huge problem, an EV definitely WILL.
If battery packs last say 100k miles, and you buy a car with 60k miles on it, then the clock is ticking. Once they go it will not be economically viable to replace?
Of course this might change with standard battery packs and engineering to facilitate change etc but no sign of that yet - manufacturers want bespoke solutions.
All of this will probably be solved in time along with infrastructure, safe disposal etc, so just the hike in tax and electricity to factor in 😂
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Yep, a long way to go before I’d take a leap of faith with an EV, although the Taycan GTS does look very tasty!

In the meantime, I’ll be a ‘dinosaur’ in my beloved bright yellow 911! ;) :P :lol: :D
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
goron59

Post by goron59 »

I understood the above mentioned Tesla bill was a publicity stunt. Bought a car past warranty with issues for pennies so his mates could make a big statement.

Could have been genuine but a crazy thing to do if so.

Second hand EVs are actually a good deal now. They’re priced like ICE vehicles - assumption all the mechanicals are shot due to high mileage - but as there are very few mechanicals, a high miler (within battery warranty) is oft a good deal.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

The battery warranty is normally something like 8 years and you have to then compare with an ICE car that at the same age will have over 100k miles. Any ICE Porsche of that age and mileage has the potential for pretty eye watering repair bills too.

I wouldn’t be buying a BEV with the plan for 8 or 10 years ownership but then wouldn’t do that with an ICE vehicle either as something new would get my attention.
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

mcnallys wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:50 pm Agree with all of the above, it’s whatever suits best at the time for each individual. For me it’s too early and has been echoed by a few in the trade, which is going against their company.

I still have a thing for the feel of car, not quite sure that is the case in all above examples, taycan is good - but maybe the exception, still big money to get the range. IX next best thing.

If the 0% BIK wasn’t there, you can be assured the sales figures would be a very different picture.
The 0% BIK has already gone nearly 9 months ago and sales are marching on now we are in the heady realms of 1% BIK doubling in April to 2%, criminal 😜
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Miopyk wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:42 am
If you've already invested in electric then of course you're going to sing its praises, no one wants to think they've made a poor choice. But this game has a long way to run and if you prefer to play the long game its far too to early to pick a winner just yet.
I wasn't forced to invest in EV companies. It was my free choice. Nobody invests in things that they don't think will be successful. The only bias in this thread is toward clinging on to an ICE future out of habit and fear of change. I have no issue with that, but I can see that there isn't a lot of very well informed opinion floating around here. It's like reading the Daily Mail. Plenty of scaremongering along with some very dubious "facts".
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Jon A wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:59 pm
Wing Commander wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:30 pm

I think you are right about that Simon. I suppose what I am saying is that while an ICE car COULD have a huge problem, an EV definitely WILL.
If battery packs last say 100k miles, and you buy a car with 60k miles on it, then the clock is ticking. Once they go it will not be economically viable to replace?
Of course this might change with standard battery packs and engineering to facilitate change etc but no sign of that yet - manufacturers want bespoke solutions.
All of this will probably be solved in time along with infrastructure, safe disposal etc, so just the hike in tax and electricity to factor in 😂
It's swings and roundabouts. ICE cars (especially high end ones) usually become expensive money-pits north of 100k miles. Do you remember the 996/997 Carrera engine fiasco with D-chunking, IMS issues because Porsche f****** up the cylinder cooling? - a whole third party industry grew up around fixing those at £10k a re-build and most failures were well under 100k miles, more like 40k actually. EV batteries are expensive, but not £22k expensive, and they last for a long time if designed properly with decent battery management. Tesla have proven that over the last decade with batteries going over 200k miles with less than 10% degradation. Plus an EV drivetrain is so much easier to replace if required. Fitting a new motor or even a complete battery is nothing like as labour intensive as rebuilding/fitting an engine. It's mostly plug and play with EV components. There's also little or no servicing required, which would go a long way to mitigating the potential one-off cost of a battery 10+ years down the line. My own 4 year old Tesla is coming up to 50k miles and the battery is not showing any significant signs of degradation - less than 5%. Servicing cost = £0