Cost of replacement discs and pads

The place to discuss everything else..
CKMAC

Post by CKMAC »

Rarecolour wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:54 pm
CKMAC wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:24 am Can anyone confirm that the PSCB can be replaced by standard iron brake and pad?

If the cost is a few times more for a new set of PSCB brake and pad, then I will have S instead of GTS.
How many miles will you be doing? They last a bit longer than the standard brakes. If you're not going to be driving like an idiot and doing big miles, don't worry about it.
About 8000 miles per year. Normal driving style I would say. I am going to keep it for a long time. Can it last for 40k miles perhaps?

Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

I did 39,000 miles in my S with the original disks still on the front when it went, the PSCB are reputed to last 30% longer so you're in with a chance...
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

CKMAC wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:25 pm
Rarecolour wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:54 pm
CKMAC wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:24 am Can anyone confirm that the PSCB can be replaced by standard iron brake and pad?

If the cost is a few times more for a new set of PSCB brake and pad, then I will have S instead of GTS.
How many miles will you be doing? They last a bit longer than the standard brakes. If you're not going to be driving like an idiot and doing big miles, don't worry about it.
About 8000 miles per year. Normal driving style I would say. I am going to keep it for a long time. Can it last for 40k miles perhaps?
As Neil says, should be good.
Will your car have PTV? This could wear the rears quicker.
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Some drivers are heavier on brakes than others. Trained and qualified advanced drivers wear brakes and tyres less than average drivers. But one cause of faster brake wear is the regular use of ACC as the system is constantly making speed corrections by application of the brakes whereas an experienced driver will anticipate the need and adjust speed using the accelerator pedal only.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:53 am But one cause of faster brake wear is the regular use of ACC as the system is constantly making speed corrections by application of the brakes, whereas an experienced driver or anyone with half a brain will anticipate the need and adjust speed using the accelerator pedal only.
Fixed 👍🏻
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

65000 miles, origional disc, second set pad on the front, will replace all at 80k
pstrat

Post by pstrat »

gasgas1 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:41 am 65000 miles, origional disc, second set pad on the front, will replace all at 80k
At this kind of mileage on steel discs, the replacement of the surface coated GTS discs shouldn't be something that comes along often. I will just budget for it well in advanced and it'll be 'slightly' less painful.
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:53 am Some drivers are heavier on brakes than others. Trained and qualified advanced drivers wear brakes and tyres less than average drivers. But one cause of faster brake wear is the regular use of ACC as the system is constantly making speed corrections by application of the brakes whereas an experienced driver will anticipate the need and adjust speed using the accelerator pedal only.
Agree Nick but there is a but…
I specced it because it’s the only way to get the emergency brake function (which most cars now have as standard). While you could argue that an attentive driver would never need this function I would disagree as this has saved me from two very nasty incidents so far. One of which was a kid on a bike riding straight in front of me off the pavement and he would certainly be dead were it not for this feature.
None of us are perfect and modern cars particularly with touch screens, provide too many distractions, even if only momentarily.
For me, the ACC is a handy “byproduct” which I mainly use in restricted or temporary speed zones so handy 👍
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Jon A wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:23 am I specced it because it’s the only way to get the emergency brake function (which most cars now have as standard). ......saved me from two very nasty incidents so far..
For me, the ACC is a handy “byproduct” which I mainly use in restricted or temporary speed zones so handy 👍
Jon, are you suggesting that the car stopped without your intervention or just alerted you to press the brake and so avert "contact"?
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
pstrat

Post by pstrat »

The problem with Emergency Brake ie speccing ACC is i don't trust it. The emergency brake function that is.
Had it on my Mk 7 Golf R (granted not the Macan but same type of thing). Had 2 occasions where it made the alert noise and grabbed the brakes when there was nothing around. Quite unnerving and meant i ended up constantly driving round worrying that it would suddenly emergency brake on me.

Put me off the whole thing, although i get it would be useful in an actual emergency situation but then the Macan brakes are excellent.