Expansion Tank

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
dpg123

Post by dpg123 »

Hi all,
Yesterday the expansion tank full of coolant on my 2015 Turbo began leaking. Symptoms were a strong smell as the coolant evaporated rapidly on the engine/exhaust. The AA man arrived within 20 mins (car was thankfully back at my house) and did a pressure test. Sure enough, the nipple where the hose attaches had a hairline crack that squirted coolant under pressure. Big mess under the bonnet where the coolant had spilled.

The car was recovered this morning and taken to the dealer (under warranty/Porsche Assist) but as it's Christmas we'll not see it again until "well into the new year".

Is this a common fault?
Current ride: 2015 Macan Turbo and 2004 Boxster S

On-Track

Post by On-Track »

dpg123 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:07 am Hi all,
Yesterday the expansion tank full of coolant on my 2015 Turbo began leaking. Symptoms were a strong smell as the coolant evaporated rapidly on the engine/exhaust. The AA man arrived within 20 mins (car was thankfully back at my house) and did a pressure test. Sure enough, the nipple where the hose attaches had a hairline crack that squirted coolant under pressure. Big mess under the bonnet where the coolant had spilled.

The car was recovered this morning and taken to the dealer (under warranty/Porsche Assist) but as it's Christmas we'll not see it again until "well into the new year".

Is this a common fault?
First time I've heard of it so probably not that common.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
dpg123

Post by dpg123 »

So, Porsche Brooklands pulled out all the stops and got my car back to me today. It was the expansion tanks after all, cracked where the offtake pipe is on the side.
I had an Alfa Romeo Stelvio as a loaner. Getting the Macan back today really made me appreciate what an incredible car it is, especially for an SUV.
Current ride: 2015 Macan Turbo and 2004 Boxster S