Approved Tyres List ?

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

Does anyone have a pdf or a link to the official approved tyres listing (N rated tyres) - the only one i can find on Porsche website seems to be as of Jan 2017, and only lists the Michelin Latitude Sport 3 as N0 in 21" fitment

Looking at tyre retailers it's now available in N2, with the correct 101 and 103 load ratings for the Macan - it would just be nice to know these are on a later approved tyre listing before placing an order for the N2s

thanks

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Percymon wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:00 pm Does anyone have a pdf or a link to the official approved tyres listing (N rated tyres) - the only one i can find on Porsche website seems to be as of Jan 2017, and only lists the Michelin Latitude Sport 3 as N0 in 21" fitment

Looking at tyre retailers it's now available in N2, with the correct 101 and 103 load ratings for the Macan - it would just be nice to know these are on a later approved tyre listing before placing an order for the N2s

thanks
It appears that was the last one Porsche issued. I haven’t been able to find one in that format since then. They seem to want us to go to our OPCs to get approved tyres. You could check with your OPC and see if they will price match.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

Thanks for the quick reply Nick

Another call to the OPC then if I buy the car I’m interested in, not sure they’ll match Kwik-fit though with their current offers (I have a good Kwik-fit before anyone cries out to not trust them!)
jonnydrama

Post by jonnydrama »

Just grab the N2’s, that’s what I did. No issue especially if it’s a full set you’re fitting.
GWL

Post by GWL »

As far as I'm aware, the N rating is specific to Porsche. An N0 tyre is the first approved version developed by a particular manufacturer in conjunction with Porsche. Then as the design is (hopefully) improved, over time it becomes N1, then N2, etc. but it is still a Porsche approved tyre.

The problem is that you should ideally have the same N rating on all 4 wheels - this can be difficult if you only want to change the front or rear tyres and manufacturers have stopped making an N rated tyre to match the other axle.
Current car : Macan GTS Gen 2
Previous :
Macan Turbo Gen 1 - my 1st Porsche :D
BMW X1 (F48)
BMW M135i
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

GWL wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:42 pm As far as I'm aware, the N rating is specific to Porsche. An N0 tyre is the first approved version developed by a particular manufacturer in conjunction with Porsche. Then as the design is (hopefully) improved, over time it becomes N1, then N2, etc. but it is still a Porsche approved tyre.

The problem is that you should ideally have the same N rating on all 4 wheels - this can be difficult if you only want to change the front or rear tyres and manufacturers have stopped making an N rated tyre to match the other axle.
jonnydrama wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:31 pm Just grab the N2’s, that’s what I did. No issue especially if it’s a full set you’re fitting.
That’s all correct, I’ve had 18 years of buying n tyres for Boxsters. I’m 99% certain that the N2s are fine, as the size and loading can only be for the macan. I’ll be swapping a near new set of non n tyres for the proper ones, Michelin £812/set versus Contis about £720 a set , I’m sure the Michelin’s will last more miles though.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

WHAT IS A PORSCHE APPROVED TYRE ?
In order to be Porsche approved, manufacturer working with Porsche need to respect a number of specifications laid down by the manufacturer ( size, load and speed indexes, routing sheet)..

Porsche approved tyres feature a reinforced radial structure along with more rigid sidewalls. Taken together, these characteristics prevent tyre deformation, even at high speeds.

A good look up fitment chart for your Macan available here https://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/cars/porsche/macan
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

SAC1 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:24 am WHAT IS A PORSCHE APPROVED TYRE ?
In order to be Porsche approved, manufacturer working with Porsche need to respect a number of specifications laid down by the manufacturer ( size, load and speed indexes, routing sheet)..

Porsche approved tyres feature a reinforced radial structure along with more rigid sidewalls. Taken together, these characteristics prevent tyre deformation, even at high speeds.
Do we know what the difference is between these and, say, the Audi A0 rated version? Do Michelin really stop the production re-jig the factory and start up again between N0 and A0 production runs, or is it just a different print "template" for the sidewall and (another) marketing ploy? I really do wonder!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

^^^^ I often wonder the same, Neil 🤔🤔
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Neil1911 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:43 am
SAC1 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:24 am WHAT IS A PORSCHE APPROVED TYRE ?

Do we know what the difference is between these and, say, the Audi A0 rated version? Do Michelin really stop the production re-jig the factory and start up again between N0 and A0 production runs, or is it just a different print "template" for the sidewall and (another) marketing ploy? I really do wonder!
I bought Maserati rated tyres from Camskill for my Aston and they were fitted to the car by an Aston main dealer. They said there was absolutely no difference between Maserati and Aston rated tyres and it certainly had no impact on my warranty. The more I hear about Porsche practices the more concerned I get about the ownership experience.