What did the dealer do for you

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Porsche_nut

Post by Porsche_nut »

Porsche-nut I wish I could buy a cayenne turbo for 75k otherwise I wouldn't be on the macan list,, probably have to take a 2year old one for that and then the opc would offer me 50k in a years time..better residuals with the macan I think thats why you had a better deal than us,, no offence

None taken at all! It's a personal choice, everyone's circumstances are different and it was probably a good thing in my case that I'd been treated badly and quoted over 18mths from point of LOI for the Macan as it turned out to be on the small side for us. While residuals were a consideration for me as well I wasn't going to let the OPC decide for me how long I deserve to wait. At the end of the day a cash buyer who is likely to hold on to the car for several years probably doesn't come out as 'worthy' as a finance buyer who chops in frequently (more $$$ from finance and additional sales and therefore allocation in future).

As great as the residuals for the Macan may be, I didn't want to be in a position where I've committed myself to a new car that I can't take delivery of for 18 mths when I feel it would mean I don't enjoy my part-ex/existing car to its fullest potential and try and keep the miles off etc etc. Cars like this should be bought to be enjoyed, not worrying about what it's worth - if I end up loving and keeping the car until it's worth similar to the sub £10k examples, I'd be peeved that I had to wait 18mths to get it in the first place as I'm never recouping that 'waiting list' premium. If I end up chopping it in at 5 years old, I'm ok with whatever it's worth then too at least I enjoyed it for the whole time. If someone is planning on changing frequently then the Macan is a nobrainer provided they get in early to keep cost to change low.

What isn't fair is when dealers don't treat customers properly/hidden agendas/double standards because the car sells itself - as I said earlier this is very dealer and salesperson dependent. Porsche isn't the only culprit - look at the new RRS for example. Dealers have become very lazy as people queue out the door. My point is that if I were waiting for a Macan, I'd sacrifice any deal sweeteners or hospitality rubbish if it meant getting the car sooner/fairer way.

jonmacan

Post by jonmacan »

Very good point porsche nut as you say and I have bought a vehicle on its enjoyment factor firstly and foremost and what its worth along the line is second place to the dream and reward of ownership ..

I agree fully with your findings in that complacency will be the dealers downfall ultimately and it should not be to the customers downfall,

I was always taught that your only as good as your last success , this should be instilled in all dealerships , customer is king etc..

Couldnt agree more porsche nut.. jonmacan2014-12-31 01:16:31
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGj3NIA8 spec.
dereksharpuk

Post by dereksharpuk »

Good debate this. Two important points i would like to add:

1. It was not always so great for Porsche Dealerships. It will not be so great in the future. Customers have long memories. Loyalty goes both ways.

2. True we buy our vehicles because we love them. But residual value is important. If one loses shed loads, then most of us cannot afford to replace what we have. With high residuals coupled to long waiting lists, OPCs can afford to be complacent. But for how long?

dereksharpuk2014-12-31 09:35:38
White diesel Macan, Arrived early Dec 14
spadge

Post by spadge »

On placing our order & handing over £3,000 deposit on the understanding
that we would receive car mats & a Porche teddy bear for wife. Also received
invite to Silverstone which we haven't taken up yet.
dereksharpuk

Post by dereksharpuk »

Over carpets are part of the UK spec. All dealers supply them with the car so all you are getting is a teddybear. Not a lot for a £50K+ motorcar.

The Silverstone Experience is also built into the overall price of the car and thus is definitely NOT free!

That said, I suppose we should not expect anything by way of a 'thank you' for buying from that particular OPC, even if they do make£5,000+ profit.

dereksharpuk2014-12-31 10:18:55
jamacan

Post by jamacan »

Hi everyone
My first post here although I have been lurking as a guest for a while and have learnt a lot from this forum.
This will be my first Porsche and so my first experience with OPCs and have mixed feelings.
I received an invite for the PEC silverstone within a month and had a fantastic (half-) day. If I cancel my order now I assume I do not have to then pay back the £550 that the silverstone experience would normally cost to book, so dereksharpuk, I would say that is technically a freebie. But I take your point that we probably pay for it when we do buy.
A 24 hour or weekend test drive may probably be worth £150-250?
And then finally getting a macan at the end of it: Priceless
My problem though is the lack of information. I have not been given a clear idea of when I will finally get my car and I imagine that is not the OPCs fault. It may be just me being naive but it would seem an easy calculation for someone at Porsche with access to all their production figures and confirmed orders to make.
Macan S Petrol ordered June 2014, build date 8 July 2015, collected 25 July 2015
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGJ1GY70
dereksharpuk

Post by dereksharpuk »

JK, I take your point about not having to pay back the price of the Silverstone Experience should you cancel. Has anyone done that?

Lack of information is not the fault of the OPC. My dealership, and myself, were tearing our hair out trying to get info on my Macan. One minute it was built, the next it was not! Then it disappeared, then arrived totally unannounced just a few days after the revised date that it was supposed to be built! Obviously the fault lies with the factory.
spadge

Post by spadge »

You are right there dericksharpuk, when I look back 5 years we had over 4,000 pounds nocked off a Ford Couger. O well a bear is better than nothing Confused
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

Mate, we didn't even get a bear.

The car more than makes up for that though.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
spadge

Post by spadge »

Yes Miopyk that's the reason we bought one, we went to local Porsche Dealership to kill a bit of time with no intension of looking @ one never mind buying one. The salesman offered a test ride and that was it we left £3,000 lighter with a order in placed. Having said that I am a SUV fan don't think I would go back to a car again, just love the elevated driving position and with the Macan you get sports car and a SUV Big smile