SD Card use? iPod no longer supported

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

Hi All
I’m not a subscriber to any music services as such but have thousands of albums stored on a NAS drive, etc

Can the SD card slot in the 2024 Macan be used to play music if I transfer albums onto one? I tried to use the iPod I had knocking around but apparently the Gen3 no longer supports IPod via the USB-C

Anyone with experience of playing their favourite compilations through the USB-C or SD card slot in the centre console who can advise me best way to do it u would be grateful

The online app owners manual is pretty useless to be honest unless I’m not looking in the right section of course
New Macan GTS being collected 14/06/24
Previous
Macan GTS collected 01/092022 - PN4IVH48
2015 Macan SD
991.1 TTS
2008 997 Turbo
2003 986 BoxsterS

andywebber

Post by andywebber »

Yes, just transfer your iTunes library., or any music for that matter onto the SD card and you are just to go.

This is how I generally listen to music, but do also use Spotify now and then, but I have a 128GB SD card in the glovebox and it works well - I even have some FLAC file son it and they play just fine :)

HTH
Andrew
fabmacan

Post by fabmacan »

I transferred all my music i wanted to listen to onto an SD card, works fine from the centre console SD card reader, i also transferred music onto an external hard drive which works perfectly from the USBC slot in the same console, and can move from one to the other easily.
2023 Macan GTS
Gulf Orange
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

Excellent,

Thank you both, will give that a go later.
New Macan GTS being collected 14/06/24
Previous
Macan GTS collected 01/092022 - PN4IVH48
2015 Macan SD
991.1 TTS
2008 997 Turbo
2003 986 BoxsterS
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

There are supposed limits to the number of tracks that the rubbish PCM Infotainment system can read.

Occasionally I get a message whinging at me the file limits exceeded.

As it is I now have a few SD cards in a case that takes eight, they are labelled His, Hers, Both, Heavy, Prog, 60’s, compilations and Runrig and I swap them over as the mood takes me or if the Mrs is in the car
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
mueslibrown

Post by mueslibrown »

Useful thread if you do ripping from CDs ... viewtopic.php?t=13908

Would be interested to know if there is any appreciable sound quality difference between FLAC and say 320kbps mp3 in a Macan.
2021 Turbo (Collected 11/21) | Dolomite Silver | Half Garnet Red Leather | Pano | 18 Way Seats | PASM + Air | PTVP | Sports Chrono | PSP | PSE | 21" 911 Turbo Wheels | Gloss Black Trims | Bose
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

mueslibrown wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:57 pm Useful thread if you do ripping from CDs ... viewtopic.php?t=13908

Would be interested to know if there is any appreciable sound quality difference between FLAC and say 320kbps mp3 in a Macan.
Not to my ears.... although that may not be a definitive answer!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

This is the ripping thread that I originally created years ago and updated it in 2023.

viewtopic.php?t=13690

Yes there is a large difference in quality between MP3 itself, depending upon the data rate used for the ripping.

When you rip a CD I always use the highest data rate available.

To compare a FLAC file against the same MP3 file recorded at the highest data rate then yes there is a discernible difference in audio quality. The FLAC will sound brighter, with greater clarity and ambience. The difference will be more noticeable in quiet passages, slow Ballards and classical music

There is still a problem with ripping as many CD’s do not have the correct encoded data within the CD and written with each track.

The result can be that the Macan sees Track1, Track2, Track3 etc rather than the name of the track.

To circumvent this I use MP3tag a freeware app to correct the omissions, I also find the CD album cover art with a max pixel size of 499x499 and include that within the ripped CD’s folder and within the App I assign this image to each music file.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

To me using my Apple Music from my iPhone via CarPlay is so much easier than faffing about ripping CD’s to SD cards or memory sticks!! 👍😁
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon