Macan GTS 24 Stolen

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

If you have the drive space but no garage there are conversions that can be done to provide an underground garage.

Then park a 30 year old Fiat on the top.

IMG_5299.jpeg

Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

snipez999

Post by snipez999 »

crockers wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:18 am Sorry to read your misfortune. I’m considering a Ghost but my insurance doesn’t recognise it as it’s not Thatcham approved. Bollards sound good but will only protect the car on the drive whereas Ghost protects anywhere
If I were you I'd get it anyway, as it would compliment the factory fitted Voda (or any other) Thatcham approved tracker - belt & braces (as long as you had both systems).

The ghost is not Thatcham approved as it was said the Ghost 2 immobiliser is a 'new' product and there was no existing category for the ghost because of the method it employs.

Tassa is a new governing body certifying vehicle security systems which has been set up by previous employees of Thatcham and they have certified the Ghost 2 as an 'approved' immobiliser system.

In 2016 Thatcham announced that from 31st December 2018:
It will no longer accredit Aftermarket Alarms, Immobilisers and Opportunist Theft Deterrents
Tracking systems meeting Thatcham categories 5, 6 and 7 would no longer be able to acquire any certification.

Understanding the potential threat this gap posed, VSST Ltd (TASSA founders) gave a collective industry voice which demanded the aftermarket certification be retained by Thatcham.
Whilst Thatcham then continued to provide accreditation for some aftermarket products, this still left a large amount of aftermarket security products unregulated and unverified.

Seems it is starting to become acceptable to [some] insurers now though:
The following TASSA Verified Products are now approved by Toyota Insurance Services:

TASSA Verified Company: Autowatch UK Ltd
TASSA Verified Products:
Ghost II (Immobiliser)
Ghost II Pro (Immobiliser)
Range Rover Sport SVR
Crayon GTS on order for Sept '24!
Porsche Code - now locked in - PSU3UQ71
Pythongrün

Post by Pythongrün »

Considering Ghost and another tracker for ours as we’d like to hang on to it for a few years! I think we can agree the PVTS is no deterrent.
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:09 am If you have the drive space but no garage there are conversions that can be done to provide an underground garage.

IMG_5299.jpeg
How much ??
On order

GT4 RS (track toy)

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
JohnP

Post by JohnP »

Pythongrün wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:26 pm Considering Ghost and another tracker for ours as we’d like to hang on to it for a few years! I think we can agree the PVTS is no deterrent.
I agree that the tracker is no deterrent, but in my experience it does increase the likelihood of getting the car back IF the other security devices are defeated. Mine was triggered as the car was driven out of my drive and 30 minutes later the police had it secured and were searching for the scumbags who stole it.

It didn't stop the little sods stealing it, but it did reduce their time with the vehicle and therefore any opportunities they had to hide it, damage it, or nick my personal effects.
Dolomite Silver Macan GTS Gen 2 (www.porsche-code.com/PLBT3XT5)
Rhodium Silver Macan GTS (sold)
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

Tracky wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:28 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:09 am If you have the drive space but no garage there are conversions that can be done to provide an underground garage.

IMG_5299.jpeg
How much ??
…the 30 year old Fiat🤔…about 10 quid 🤣🤣
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

AllanG wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:39 pm
Tracky wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:28 pm

IMG_5299.jpeg
How much ??
…the 30 year old Fiat🤔…about 10 quid 🤣🤣
About £40,000 for the garage.

I did think long and hard about including the Fiat there, perhaps an old Jag may be a better bet.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

IMG_5299.jpeg
Fine until when you next raise the car it's been submerged in a thousand gallons of water and is written off ;)
Macan S MY 2023
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Until the police get a grip and stop paying lip service, if you even get that, this issue will continue.
There is no deterrent for thieves, whether they are stealing cars, catalytic converters or shoplifting.

When I was first involved with investigating vehicle theft, every police force had a vehicle crime squad, experts in being able to identify stolen vehicle, proper investigators.

In a secret location in London, the Met had a huge facility where stolen / recovered vehicles were housed, it looked like a prestige car showroom. Pol;ice officers assigned to vehicle crime squads attended the location to be trained in identifying the markings on vehicles that were often amended, changed or disfigured to hide the true identity.

These officers were true experts, but as vehicle crime decreased, due to the success of the squads and the increase in vehicle security additions such as immobilisers, the numbers of stolen vehicles dropped significantly, and with demands for cuts in the police force, the majority of the vehicle crime squads got disbanded.

The expert officers were moved onto other duties or left to join private industry.

When thieves overcome the immobilisers, initially this was just a case of switching one for another, often in station car parks where thieves knew the victims would park up and be away for several hours, and then found a way around the OBD port, vehicle crime started to escalate, but there was no longer the experience in the police to deal with it.

i don't want to knock the police, it's a thankless task, but as with everything, it has to be led from the top.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
GTB

Post by GTB »

Skyway wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:35 pm

IMG_5299.jpeg
Fine until when you next raise the car it's been submerged in a thousand gallons of water and is written off ;)
Might be good for an EV being submerged,

GTB
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0