Small front numberplate holder

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
snipez999

Post by snipez999 »

Appears there's been talk of using smaller front numberplates before - mine's a 4 digit one - but no real solution to the standard moulded frame other than using 3m tape to affix the plate directly to the front bumper area.
I've just been in to my OPC to lock down my orders and asked whether I could specify that the front numberplate holder were *not* affixed to my GTS on delivery. Good news is that this is done at PDI stage, so they will happily accept written instruction not to affix the holder (though I still want it to stick on EBay if all goes well!)
This all leaves me free to use one of these beauties instead: https://stonsho.com/collections/macan/p ... can-sns313
They do specific sizes for UK plates as well. As it does not require any drilling into bodywork, I reckon it could be a winner.
I don't use automatic car washes, so no risk of damage there and it lowers road clearance by half an inch, which also shouldn't be a problem.
I'll post up pics when done (in a few months if you can stand the excitement), but thought I'd post in case anyone else fancied one in the meantime.
Range Rover Sport SVR
Crayon GTS on order for Sept '24!
Porsche Code - now locked in - PSU3UQ71

Jon A

Post by Jon A »

snipez999 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:32 pm Appears there's been talk of using smaller front numberplates before - mine's a 4 digit one - but no real solution to the standard moulded frame other than using 3m tape to affix the plate directly to the front bumper area.
I've just been in to my OPC to lock down my orders and asked whether I could specify that the front numberplate holder were *not* affixed to my GTS on delivery. Good news is that this is done at PDI stage, so they will happily accept written instruction not to affix the holder (though I still want it to stick on EBay if all goes well!)
This all leaves me free to use one of these beauties instead: https://stonsho.com/collections/macan/p ... can-sns313
They do specific sizes for UK plates as well. As it does not require any drilling into bodywork, I reckon it could be a winner.
I don't use automatic car washes, so no risk of damage there and it lowers road clearance by half an inch, which also shouldn't be a problem.
I'll post up pics when done (in a few months if you can stand the excitement), but thought I'd post in case anyone else fancied one in the meantime.
Entirely subjective of course, but that looks worse for me. It’s too low to my eyes and obscuring the front spoiler line.
Will be interesting to see finished item though 👍
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

I have a 5 digit reg and it looks fine on a regular sized plate.

As JonA says it’s subjective, but personally I think that arrangement on the web page looks awful 😬
Macan S MY 2023
snipez999

Post by snipez999 »

American plates are 12x6 and my short plate would be 11.5x4.5 inches (legally spaced) so not quite as 'big' as their sample pic shows. Worth a punt for the money, and I can't find anyone who actually has UK plates on one of those brackets to ask for reviews anyway! If it all goes to sh*t I could always just bung the factory plinth on with a couple of self tappers :thumb:
Range Rover Sport SVR
2japs

Post by 2japs »

Jon A wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:36 pm
snipez999 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:32 pm Appears there's been talk of using smaller front numberplates before - mine's a 4 digit one - but no real solution to the standard moulded frame other than using 3m tape to affix the plate directly to the front bumper area.
Entirely subjective of course, but that looks worse for me. It’s too low to my eyes and obscuring the front spoiler line.
Will be interesting to see finished item though 👍
Agree with you, however could stop some stone chips 😳
Macan S
Audi S3 x 2
Macan
Jag XF x 2
Audi A3/4/6 (C. Cars)
VW Golf/Passat (C.Cars)
Ford Cortina/Capri/Sierra(C.Cars)
Toyota Celica x2
Triumph Stag/ TR5(classics)
MGB
Austin 1300( first car)
AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

That will look awful! :o
2021 Macan GTS Jet Black with Full Espresso Leather :D
2018 Macan in Agate grey (now sold)
Audi B5 RS4 - tweaked a little bit ;)
Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

There's an owner on the "Facebook" UK Porsche Macan Owners group with a Saffire Blue Macan who's relocated a standard size number plate to a similar position - looks totally out of place.
snipez999

Post by snipez999 »

Honestly, I'm in two minds [now]. Have just found a different plate on t'web from 'fourdot designer plates' which could offer a more aesthetically pleasing solution. Regular sized plates but with large black sides and short plate in the middle (in white/yellow as appropriate). Legal and applied to standard plinths. Thanks for comments, likely go for those :thumb:
Range Rover Sport SVR