Macan ICE expiry

All the latest Macan News and Reviews
crockers

Post by crockers »

Isn’t that to try to keep prices level over the EU (which we are no longer a member). Hence in the past some EU countries had much higher taxes on cars so we could buy one free of taxes - import it into UK and pay our VAT. I know I bought a Honda CRV for my wife this way. It was built in Swindon (15 miles away) shipped to Holland. Bought by a broker near Leicester - shipped back to there and bought by me for a good few thousand pounds saving. Madness

TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

crockers wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:33 am Isn’t that to try to keep prices level over the EU (which we are no longer a member). Hence in the past some EU countries had much higher taxes on cars so we could buy one free of taxes - import it into UK and pay our VAT. I know I bought a Honda CRV for my wife this way. It was built in Swindon (15 miles away) shipped to Holland. Bought by a broker near Leicester - shipped back to there and bought by me for a good few thousand pounds saving. Madness
Many years ago, the Germans found that it was cheaper to buy a VW in other countries, mainly Italy and do the same. I think Mercedes were at it too. The company bosses kicked up a fuss, and stopped the dealers from selling to foreigners, who lived abroad.
But the EU warned them, that this was illegal restrictive practices, and would impose fines on them if they continued to restrict sales this way. And if I remember, the fine would be at 10% of their turnover.
That’s one thing good about the EU.
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

IIRC back in the late 1980's there were a lot of brokers selling cars from Belgium at reduced prices due to differing tax rates , it all blew up after a few years and a lot of buyers lost thousands of pounds when they pre-paid for their cars and the brokers went bust.
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Scooby_Doo wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:28 am IIRC back in the late 1980's there were a lot of brokers selling cars from Belgium at reduced prices due to differing tax rates , it all blew up after a few years and a lot of buyers lost thousands of pounds when they pre-paid for their cars and the brokers went bust.
I was one of those! Grp Padron & Co. took a deposit on an Astra (Opel) GTE and then went bust. I actually got a call from the Belgian dealership when the car arrived with them to see if I'd take it, I didn't. Bought a red MG Maestro 2.0 EFI instead.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

Neil1911 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:39 am
Scooby_Doo wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:28 am IIRC back in the late 1980's there were a lot of brokers selling cars from Belgium at reduced prices due to differing tax rates , it all blew up after a few years and a lot of buyers lost thousands of pounds when they pre-paid for their cars and the brokers went bust.
I was one of those! Grp Padron & Co. took a deposit on an Astra (Opel) GTE and then went bust. I actually got a call from the Belgian dealership when the car arrived with them to see if I'd take it, I didn't. Bought a red MG Maestro 2.0 EFI instead.
Out of the frying pan into the fire. :)