it's time to bring buttons back for controlling your car

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Perhaps the future is nothing at all? Why doesn't my car already know the windscreen is frozen up and automatically turn the things on that are needed using AI ;)
Macan S MY 2023

Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Skyway wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:03 am Perhaps the future is nothing at all? Why doesn't my car already know the windscreen is frozen up and automatically turn the things on that are needed using AI ;)
Yes, then it can go and collect the shopping, have a blast round the countryside and pick up a ticket or two on the way home, all courtesy of AI! You can stay in bed, in fact, you're superfluous.... why did you buy it? :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

:D :D :D

Sometimes with the crazy traffic around I do wonder that. It's those few blasts that make it worthwhile :lol:
Macan S MY 2023
Wolands Advocate

Post by Wolands Advocate »

I have zero problem with the haptic buttons in my Macan - it's the touchscreen and the lack of an equivalent to the iDrive rotary controller that annoys me.

I think it also depends whether you use Carplay. I tend not to.
2023 Macan GTS
2022 Mini Cooper
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

Skyway wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:35 am :D :D :D

Sometimes with the crazy traffic around I do wonder that. It's those few blasts that make it worthwhile :lol:
We're in the Leicestershire villages but it's getting rarer and rarer to be able to "have a blast" even here.

The Macan S was a good choice on the one hand as (a) my wife liked it and it was her car being replaced and (b) it's 0-60 time is equivalent to my 981C, as is the driving position and layout. But most of the time in either car is spent just pootling about, so what's the point?

The badge; build quality; power to get out of trouble...?

In our case... Warranty. That was number one on the list of requirements. The car we could keep under extended warranty the longest.

Oh... and number two on the list... real buttons! Hence Gen2.
mueslibrown

Post by mueslibrown »

Apart from the climate controls, which buttons are people fiddling with regularly? All mine are already selected and i dont change any of them from one journey to the next.
2021 Turbo (Collected 11/21) | Dolomite Silver | Half Garnet Red Leather | Pano | 18 Way Seats | PASM + Air | PTVP | Sports Chrono | PSP | PSE | 21" 911 Turbo Wheels | Gloss Black Trims | Bose
Makanik

Post by Makanik »

mueslibrown wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:20 pm Apart from the climate controls, which buttons are people fiddling with regularly? All mine are already selected and i dont change any of them from one journey to the next.
I rarely use any buttons, and certainly not the climate control ones.

I do however really miss the buttons in earlier Macan generations, that allowed switching between the top level PCM functions e.g. Nav, Media
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Makanik wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:42 pm
mueslibrown wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:20 pm Apart from the climate controls, which buttons are people fiddling with regularly? All mine are already selected and i dont change any of them from one journey to the next.
I rarely use any buttons, and certainly not the climate control ones.

I do however really miss the buttons in earlier Macan generations, that allowed switching between the top level PCM functions e.g. Nav, Media
Ask it nicely and see what happens.... "display Nav screen" and "display Home screen" certainly work, not tried the others.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
mueslibrown

Post by mueslibrown »

Interestingly when I handed back my loaner Macan S and I was discussing my service items with the tech he suggested that Porsche will look to make more use of voice activation to for controls instead of having to look to find the right switch or button.
2021 Turbo (Collected 11/21) | Dolomite Silver | Half Garnet Red Leather | Pano | 18 Way Seats | PASM + Air | PTVP | Sports Chrono | PSP | PSE | 21" 911 Turbo Wheels | Gloss Black Trims | Bose