Pirelli corsa tyres in cold weather

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
fabmacan

Post by fabmacan »

my macan GTS came with factory fitted pirelli corsa tyres, i noted in my handbook that Porsche do not recommend that you drive with these tyres when the temperature drops below 7 deg. C!
Surely they cannot expect you to change perfectly legal tyres on this car when for around 6 months of the year i will be driving in these temperatures.
2023 Macan GTS
Gulf Orange

Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

The Corsa tyre specifically is a high performance tyre that is aimed at dual track and road use, so no surprise they dont recommend operating in low temperature.

That said, they'll probs be fine.
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

fabmacan wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:07 am my macan GTS came with factory fitted pirelli corsa tyres, i noted in my handbook that Porsche do not recommend that you drive with these tyres when the temperature drops below 7 deg. C!
Surely they cannot expect you to change perfectly legal tyres on this car when for around 6 months of the year i will be driving in these temperatures.
In Germany it's law to change to winter tyres.

Given how little snow we now get, I'm sure driven normally the Corsa tyres will be fine.
pmg

Post by pmg »

wab172uk wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:18 pm
fabmacan wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:07 am my macan GTS came with factory fitted pirelli corsa tyres, i noted in my handbook that Porsche do not recommend that you drive with these tyres when the temperature drops below 7 deg. C!
In Germany it's law to change to winter tyres.

Given how little snow we now get, I'm sure driven normally the Corsa tyres will be fine.
Winter trres are not just about snow. they offer dramatically shorter braking distances when temps are below 7 deg irrespective of whether road, dry, wet or snow or ice covered. They also wear less in winter than summers do when used in winter
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

This is another stupidity of the new WLTP rules after VWgate...... :roll:

Porsche used to offer no-cost choice of all-season tyres on the Macan, which was the sensible option for UK.
But, that means double the amount of testing for alternative tyres etc., so Porsche no longer offer the all-seasons, and being they deign for German home market, where everyone changes to winters for 4 months of the year, the silly summer spec performance tyres are the default option now. :roll:

I used to run Pirelli Corsa's on my BMW 135i and they were indeed a great tyre in the summer, but they were indeed also absolutely useless once the temp dropped below 7C.......the compound seemingly turning to concrete below 5C. They were borderline dangerous in a lightish rwd car with 325hp and 450Nm of torque.
I bought another set of rims and a set of winter tyres and used to change over every year for winter months. People think that winter tyres are only for snow, but they really are not, the compound is much more effective in lower temps, and when wet, not just snow/ice conditions.

When/if I get a Macan, I will change over to all-season tyres on mine after the OEM set of tyres wears out.