Collecting New Macan on 01/09, what to expect

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

bennachie wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:32 pm Have to disagree with that Jon A. However, I use comfort access all the time and it makes a significant difference. Engine off, wheel retracts, key out, seat moves back - makes getting out in our ridiculous 1950s sized parking bays so much easier.

If comfort access isn't fitted, I agree; it is effectively superfluous if you are a sole driver.
I get that with manual steering adjustment! The two are not related - and I agree it’s very useful…
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0

lizmoretti

Post by lizmoretti »

On-Track wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:21 am
Make sure that Porsche Vehicle Tracking System (PVTS) is activated before you leave the OPC. It will require a separate payment to Vodaphone. You will get two fobs supplied with the car. Either of these should be on the driver's person when in the car. The batteries in the fob last around 12 months.

My dealer mentioned these fobs and the tracker. I collected the (used but less than a year old) car last week and have just realised there were no fobs with the keys and no mention of a tracker anywhere and the My Porsche app won't connect to my car.

What do these fobs look like? Should I be worried that I don't have them?

And how useful is the tracker? Does it use the app and show you where the car is on a map? Can you set-up geo-fencing?
Nella

Post by Nella »

The fobs are nothing to do with the Porsche connect app which requires an activation code the dealer should supply.

The PC app will tell you the location of your car at all time amongst other things such as fuel levels, tyre pressures etc.

The fobs are for a tracker system operated by Vodaphone. There is a fee involved. Some people use it some don’t. They have a reputation for being a bit glitchy. I didn’t bother activating mine.
macanese

Post by macanese »

My most important tip, based on my actual experience, is insist you make all your checks including most importantly for bonnet misalignment before paying the balance owed on the car. Do not rely on the PDI done by the dealer to ensure the car meets expected production standards for a premium brand. The dealer focus on the day will be on getting your money before doing the big reveal and before allowing you to check it is up to standard.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Nella wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:45 am The fobs are nothing to do with the Porsche connect app which requires an activation code the dealer should supply.

The PC app will tell you the location of your car at all time amongst other things such as fuel levels, tyre pressures etc.

The fobs are for a tracker system operated by Vodaphone. There is a fee involved. Some people use it some don’t. They have a reputation for being a bit glitchy. I didn’t bother activating mine.
However for the location part of the app to work I believe you have to have a Vodafone connect subscription in place or be in the initial free period for that service irrespective of whether you have subscribed to the tracker option of their service.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
New User

Post by New User »

lizmoretti wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:34 am I collected the (used but less than a year old) car last week and have just realised there were no fobs with the keys and no mention of a tracker anywhere and the My Porsche app won't connect to my car.

What do these fobs look like? Should I be worried that I don't have them?

And how useful is the tracker? Does it use the app and show you where the car is on a map? Can you set-up geo-fencing?
Tracker fobs were in the glovebox on my new car. They are thin black plastic fobs about the size of a £2 coin (remember those!). Vodafone bought the former ‘Cobra’ car alarm/tracking business years ago and these are what remains of that. I would push the dealer to get them because they are supplied new with all cars whether you activate the optional PVTS subscription or or not.

Again these are nothing to do with the Porsche Connect app but in order to activate the Remote Services you need a Porsche Car Connect by Vodafone account (pcc.vodafonetelematics.com) and the dealer workshop must then code your car to match the code that Vodafone give you. They normally want the fobs to be coded as part of this process whether you intend to activate the additional tracking service or not.

Somebody else will have to chip in about the usefulness and integration of the Tracker because my insurer didn’t require it and I was happy with the basic Geofencing that comes with the Remote Services (which is integrated with the app).
martinto8

Post by martinto8 »

macanese wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:28 am My most important tip, based on my actual experience, is insist you make all your checks including most importantly for bonnet misalignment before paying the balance owed on the car. Do not rely on the PDI done by the dealer to ensure the car meets expected production standards for a premium brand. The dealer focus on the day will be on getting your money before doing the big reveal and before allowing you to check it is up to standard.
Good idea. So what happens if you find it not up to standard prior to payment? Walk away until it is sorted?
Macan GTS on order: http://www.porsche-code.com/PPDF6163
Ordered 25th Aug 2021 - Build slot August 2022, Landed in OPC - 29th September 2022 - Collected 29th November 459 days since ordering!
pstrat

Post by pstrat »

Pre delivery i will be sending my SE a detailed list he needs to work through. Which will include verifying panel gaps, map connectivity, wheel alignment etc.
Not fool proof but better than checking on the day and relying on it happening without your input.
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

Thanks everyone, it will be an interesting collection, first new car in over 15 years, last 4 Porsches were all 2 year old used approved.
I shall definitely be checking all things mentioned.
The tracker is an insurance requirement. I had it on the 911 and never had issues with it but had a couple of calls when the fob battery ran out and I was out in the car, so at least the service does as intended.
I sent the code off last week and the SE has confirmed he has it and its ready.

The connect app I had before on the previous Macan, after 12 months I let it lapse as it’s next to useless for my needs, I knew where it was always parked, how much fuel was in it, the mileage and folding in the mirrors after it was parked up was just a gimmick imho! But each to their own.

The main points I will be checking with thanks to all your inputs are, wheels, panel condition & gaps, spec’d items present, PPF condition, live traffic info and anything else I missed but I’ll go through the thread again

I’ll post the obligatory photos when I have a moment

Thanks again 🙏🏻
Macan GTS collected 01/092022 - PN4IVH48

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
Previous - 991.1 TTS met an untimely and sad end.
Previous - 2008 997 Turbo traded for TurboS
Previous - 2003 986 BoxsterS Sold due to needing a 3rd seat :D
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Have a great day! It’s always nice picking up a new car.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA