Front spring failure

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

I had a rear spring go on my Macan SD at roughly 43.2k. They'll replace both springs on the same axle and should undertake a four wheel alignment.

Sounds like the Transfer Box has been on its way out throughout your ownership of the car.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel

nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

Was on a motorbike mini tour of Wales last week and the second we hit English roads again at Shobdon, the difference in road surfaces was night and day, I swear half of the Welsh population work for the Highways Agency!
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

nsm3 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:58 am Was on a motorbike mini tour of Wales last week and the second we hit English roads again at Shobdon, the difference in road surfaces was night and day, I swear half of the Welsh population work for the Highways Agency!
Same for Scotland. Dumfries and Galloway is heaven compared to roads down south!!!
Elie1930

Post by Elie1930 »

Thanks for the valuable suggestion, definitely ask for this. Also that they replace both springs.

I'm naturally now worried about the car's overall safety and reliability - is there anything else that could fail from what seems to be early life abuse?

Can the garage check for this or as with the drive shafts and springs, nothing you can do until the parts actually fail...........what happens if they fail at speed.....

Can they get the car sorted or would it be better to move it on...........

I'm assuming none of these issues is related to the transfer case which I have the feeling is on the way out too........nothing major symptom wise but definitely some intermittent signs
2016 S Diesel sold
2016 GTS Silver :)
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Hi Elie 1930, you may just have been unfortunate with your experiences. But, it might be worth getting your dealer to check for signs of any front end and / or underside accident damage.
Last edited by SAC1 on Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Elie1930

Post by Elie1930 »

Thanks and yes worth a shout but kind of hoping with where it came from and who has service it since it would be ok e.g. came from Porsche Leeds, had the 110+ point check, I interrogated them on previous owners, car history and it's been with a main dealer last 12 months and had various issues that would require them going over the car, especially the main drive / suspension components...........in particular both drive shafts being replaced.

Hoping they can get it sorted as despite all the issues love the car and perhaps not surprisingly would buy another!
2016 S Diesel sold
2016 GTS Silver :)
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

Snapped springs unfortunately are a sign of the times, speed bumps and potholes, especially with bigger wheels and heavier cars - sadly Porsche are no exception. Car use (rough track/driveway/school runs/driven hard) all have a bearing but also where a car has been kept/used (sea air etc)

Drive shafts shouldn't be an issue at 41k miles, i dare say an OPC will flag up issues as soon as they become apparent (or at least if they feel not suitable to make next service period) so be wary of saying yes to any work without discussion/thought, you can always seek a second opinion from a local garage and go back to an OPC weeks later.

Transfer box is covered for 7 years so you have some time yet, and not every car suffers.

Whilst you've had a few unfortunate bills, you should be happy knowing you've had work done and items are back as they were when built - enjoy the car and don't worry about things that may never happen. Swapping to another one could be no better, or worse !
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

nsm3 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:58 am Was on a motorbike mini tour of Wales last week and the second we hit English roads again at Shobdon, the difference in road surfaces was night and day, I swear half of the Welsh population work for the Highways Agency!
Yes, my experience too. We bikers have long used the saying ‘Did 100 miles in Wales and saw one pothole, did one mile back in England and saw 100 potholes!’
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Wrason

Post by Wrason »

My 2016 front offside spring broke 3 months ago at nearly 47500 miles. Porsche wanted £1500 + to replace both front springs. I bought 2 OE replacements from Design911 and had them fitted by a well reviewed, but not Porsche, mechanic for a total of approx £500 (springs + labour). Four wheel alignment at local National Tyres depot for £70 and all's well now. I've got bog standard suspension and after 2 years of lousy ride on anything other than super smooth roads I'll be looking for something with a more settled ride next time around. Can't complain about the fuel consumption though, well into the mid 40s on long motorway trips!
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Wrason wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:53 pm My 2016 front offside spring broke 3 months ago at nearly 47500 miles. Porsche wanted £1500 + to replace both front springs. I bought 2 OE replacements from Design911 and had them fitted by a well reviewed, but not Porsche, mechanic for a total of approx £500 (springs + labour). Four wheel alignment at local National Tyres depot for £70 and all's well now. I've got bog standard suspension and after 2 years of lousy ride on anything other than super smooth roads I'll be looking for something with a more settled ride next time around. Can't complain about the fuel consumption though, well into the mid 40s on long motorway trips!

Nice work. :)

You have a diesel, I presume? :geek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018