Live Traffic Info on PCM Navigation Map Not Showing

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Deleted User 4752

Post by Deleted User 4752 »

Nella wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:39 am IT WORKS!!!!!

Turned it in an nothing was showing then a few seconds later BOOM the traffic all appeared!!!

Just about to start road trip to Scotland so will see how it goes!!!!
Wohoo! Have a great trip

jharrower

Post by jharrower »

Good afternoon. All

Could anyone definitely state if Live Traffic info is a free service for an initial period, or a subscription based feature?

I have only had the live traffic icon (globe) appear a couple of times on my 6-month old Macan S, but have not really needed to use it. However, I have a couple of longer trips coming up where I think it may be beneficial. Consequently, I contacted my OPC today to ask if it can be looked at. Their initial response was to state that live traffic info on the PCM is a subscription-based feature. I don't recall that being stated in this thread, although I may have missed it. I also recollect that someone had been offered an element of compensation by Porsche UK for their inconvenience. That could simply be an extension to the period it is showing, whether free or otherwise. Anyone actually had 'compensation'?

I have my car booked in on 19th August for the PCM to be looked at and, if necessary, updated. I'd like to go clued up on this. Grateful for any confirmed specifics on the whole 'live traffic info' thing.

Many thanks

John
Deleted User 4752

Post by Deleted User 4752 »

jharrower wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:55 pm Good afternoon. All

Could anyone definitely state if Live Traffic info is a free service for an initial period, or a subscription based feature?

I have only had the live traffic icon (globe) appear a couple of times on my 6-month old Macan S, but have not really needed to use it. However, I have a couple of longer trips coming up where I think it may be beneficial. Consequently, I contacted my OPC today to ask if it can be looked at. Their initial response was to state that live traffic info on the PCM is a subscription-based feature. I don't recall that being stated in this thread, although I may have missed it. I also recollect that someone had been offered an element of compensation by Porsche UK for their inconvenience. That could simply be an extension to the period it is showing, whether free or otherwise. Anyone actually had 'compensation'?

I have my car booked in on 19th August for the PCM to be looked at and, if necessary, updated. I'd like to go clued up on this. Grateful for any confirmed specifics on the whole 'live traffic info' thing.

Many thanks

John
I think you do have to pay for it BUT it’s definitely free for at least the first 12 months. It works fine on my car and I’ve not paid for it. My car was registered Dec last year.
pmg

Post by pmg »

In 2019 it was free for 2 years and then subscription. it is the Navigation and Infotainment package and includes over the air map updates, the news, weather and other apps. The last annual premium I paid I think was £159.

This is separate to the Vodafone Porsche connect service which brings location and tyre pressures etc to the My Porsche app which is another subscription.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

pmg wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:55 pm In 2019 it was free for 2 years and then subscription. it is the Navigation and Infotainment package and includes over the air map updates, the news, weather and other apps. The last annual premium I paid I think was £159.

This is separate to the Vodafone Porsche connect service which brings location and tyre pressures etc to the My Porsche app which is another subscription.
You're correct. Or at least my experience with a 2020 registered Macan. The Vodafone part is £99 p.a. after the first year.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Corneyboy

Post by Corneyboy »

THHGTTG wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:34 pm
jharrower wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:55 pm Good afternoon. All

Many thanks

John
I think you do have to pay for it BUT it’s definitely free for at least the first 12 months. It works fine on my car and I’ve not paid for it. My car was registered Dec last year.
It's a paid for service, but comes with 2 years free for new cars.
Mine goes to the OPC to be fixed in early Sep - earliest they could do, and that was booked in mid-July! I kicked up the initial fuss about this in early March when it did not work from day 1. They gave me an initial OPC credit of £100 and have now offered a further £200 OPC credit plus an additional 12 months free when the initial period expires.
Gen 3 Macan S - http://www.porsche-code.com/PN3Q73U2
Previously Gen 1 SD sold 06/21
Nella

Post by Nella »

So the live traffic worked a treat. Took me on what I thought was a massive detour via Crewe and Chester but when I stopped and checked on another device this was correct due to carnage on the M6 near Madchester.

As for the drive it was superb, every minute. Only issue was keeping anywhere near the speed limit.
Used the boost button once and will have to be very careful in future!!!! Wow!!!!

Also noticed how the PCM screen comes ‘alive’ when you hand is near it but not actually touching it, more tiles appear as if in anticipation.

The next bit I posted elsewhere but is relevant……

The map on my car that now works is basically Google so if you have CarPlay running all the data comes off your phone. Ie If you change destination on your phone whilst in the car it simultaneously changes the destination on the PCM screen so must be getting the data from there.

I’m guessing maps will still work after two years so still not sure if it’s worth buying the £159 or whatever it is package after that date???

So from that what I’m not sure about is what happens if you dont update in two years time? I don’t use the other functions such as news etc so wonder if Google maps on my phone would update the maps itself now?!?!? Will have to wait and see.

As far as I can Porsche Connect app is nothing to do with vodaphone. Happy to be corrected? The Vodaphone ‘thing’ is a separate tracking device. I can find now one connected with Porsche that privately recommends it so I didn’t bother. The Porsche connect app always shows exactly where my car is and the state it is in so must be sending the info somewhere but I’m still not sure how?!?!

I will pay a pic of the software in my car later.

Finally it was the first time I really had chance to use the lights probably at night in pitch black Scotland.

Awesome. Don’t know how anyone can complain about those at all. Love how they seem to light up a bit extra to either side when the car senses something or someone is there. Love how the lights move round corners too. Very happy with that.

Pps Porsche have offers the same compensation as Corneyboy but as I have had other as yet not fully resolved issues I will be emailing them in the week. Aircon didn’t work when first used. Now fixed. Cracked plastic panel that has yet to be fixed.
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Nella, I'm sure Apple users will know better but I believe that if you are using Carplay what you see on the PCM is Google maps off your phone and NOT the Porsche Navigation, you will get that if Carplay is not active. I have an Android phone and am happy to pay the fee for Nav+ but that coukd change if Android Auto becomes available.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Nella

Post by Nella »

Neil1911 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:33 pm Nella, I'm sure Apple users will know better but I believe that if you are using Carplay what you see on the PCM is Google maps off your phone and NOT the Porsche Navigation, you will get that if Carplay is not active. I have an Android phone and am happy to pay the fee for Nav+ but that coukd change if Android Auto becomes available.
I’m not an apple fan having had a succession of BlackBerrys running android but the iPhone works well.

If there were no apple phone and you weren’t using any other phone in the car then the PCM map is basically Google and is drawn from you two year deal followed by the annual payment to keep the maps updated.

Now I do stand to be corrected on this but my understanding is if you use your CarPlay then you will always get the upto date maps via the phone so no need to pay the £159 after two years.

As for Android that won’t happen I don’t think with Porsche but there is a guy on Facebook in some Eastern European country who will send a crack that enables android for several hundred pounds but I have heard of that getting wiped when cars have been serviced by Porsche. Tbh for several hundred pounds it would surely be cheaper and safer to buy an iPhone???

As an aside my music comes via Amazon prime through CarPlay and sounds amazing through the Bose so I’m glad I paid for that too.
PBT147

Post by PBT147 »

I had the no live traffic issue since picking my car up in April, however, it went in yesterday for the update and I am pleased to confirm it's back to how it should be.