Roof Rails

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
pstrat

Post by pstrat »

I understand that roof rails are only factory fit. Does anyone know if you can fit a roof box / bars onto a Macan without the factory roof rails?

Looking online there are various companies who seem to offer roof bars (and hence able to fit a roof box) that fit without roof rails. If that's the case then I won't need to spec the rails.

I ask because I much prefer the look without the rails. I don't own a roof box or have any immediate need to use one. That said, it was just having the possibility in the future of being able to use one if circumstance required. kids etc.

Any info / knowledge on this?

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Thule.

Many years ago I bought something like below from Thule to carry our skis, we toured France, Italy and Switzerland with no issues at all.

The car did not have any roof gutters and the bars have pads that rest on the roof and clamps that hook onto the bodywork.

2D5AF592-1210-4AF7-94EB-12085D7DFAEE.png

Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
pstrat

Post by pstrat »

Col Lamb wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:22 am Thule.

Many years ago I bought something like below from Thule to carry our skis, we toured France, Italy and Switzerland with no issues at all.

The car did not have any roof gutters and the bars have pads that rest on the roof and clamps that hook onto the bodywork.

2D5AF592-1210-4AF7-94EB-12085D7DFAEE.png
Perfect! Yeh the Thule one was what I found too.

Nice that you've had first hand experience of them and had no issues. Sounds like this would do exactly what I would need if the time came.

Think I will bin off the roof rails from my spec now!
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Sorry

I need to add that many years ago refers way back ie the late eighties and early nineties.

So you may want to hold off until someone with actual Macan experience answers that part of your query.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
GentIAN

Post by GentIAN »

I used similar Thule bars on a Q7 for ski-trips. Easy to fit and remove, and no issues. That said, I wimped out and had black roof rails specced on the Macan...
pstrat

Post by pstrat »

GentIAN wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:11 pm I used similar Thule bars on a Q7 for ski-trips. Easy to fit and remove, and no issues. That said, I wimped out and had black roof rails specced on the Macan...
Happy days then.

I have never needed a roof box in my life and my current car is an Audi A3. So with the Macan being larger I am sure 99% of the time I will be fine. At least I know there's an option out there were the situation to arise knowing I don't have the factory rails.
Breezimus

Post by Breezimus »

I’ve just fitted a Thule system to my gen 3 Macan, which doesn’t have roof rails.

I already had the bars and the foot pack, so just needed the correct fittings for where it attaches to the car.

Seems pretty solid and was easy to fit.
Macan S - Ordered November 2021 - PNWV63Y5
pmg

Post by pmg »

if you go the Thule website enter Macan, they ask if you have roof rails or not and then send you to correct options

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/roof-rack/car-roof-racks
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8