Macan EV on sale for late 2022 [?]

All the latest Macan News and Reviews
TK421

Post by TK421 »

pmg wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:47 pm
TK421 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:57 pm
Percymon wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:51 pm

By the time they eventually get this to market it'll need 600bhp to make any impression on the competition. Porsche ponies might traditionally be strong but 500 wont be enough
In fairness the 2.9v6 engine should be good for 600hp. Let hope they go full beans!
I do really think you are forgetting the need to meet EU7 emission regs
We’ve got a few years left yet , let’s hope they get it in before the deadline.
I’m all for a cleaner environment and not wanting to get into the great emissions debate but it really does boil my P1ss, we all know what and who the biggest contributors are, modern ICE are minute contributors in comparison, but contributors non the less. Anyway gotta go and charge my multiple mobile device before heading out. As you were 😉
23 Macan GTS
EX - 22 Macan GTS

The final Hurrah http://www.porsche-code.com/PRSB8KW7

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Autocar - 5 Oct 2022 - article states now 2024 earliest launch for Macan EV:

20221009_134116.jpg

Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Software development is becoming a bottleneck for the Car makers. Mercedes, BMW, Audi, VW and Porsche by extrapolation have multi-year dev pipelines… something has to change. I vote fo Micro-Service Architecture to speed up delivery and to democratise development.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
andreas

Post by andreas »

Pivot wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:44 pm Software development is becoming a bottleneck for the Car makers. Mercedes, BMW, Audi, VW and Porsche by extrapolation have multi-year dev pipelines… something has to change.
VAG has 5000 (yes, 5000) engineers and developers working at Cariad, yet the software still doesn't work, as the long-suffering ID.4 owners will testify.

The big problem has to be that they've hired the wrong people. Tesla has no difficulties implementing software updates almost overnight. The Chinese makers similarly have some stunning software, also developed in minimal timeframes.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

^^^ Also the Koreans - Kia and Hyundai.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

Also the British - MG 😂
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8DH6E6
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

andreas wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:51 pm
Pivot wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:44 pm Software development is becoming a bottleneck for the Car makers. Mercedes, BMW, Audi, VW and Porsche by extrapolation have multi-year dev pipelines… something has to change.
VAG has 5000 (yes, 5000) engineers and developers working at Cariad, yet the software still doesn't work, as the long-suffering ID.4 owners will testify.

The big problem has to be that they've hired the wrong people. Tesla has no difficulties implementing software updates almost overnight. The Chinese makers similarly have some stunning software, also developed in minimal timeframes.
Yea, number of people in the software dept is not the measure of success. In fact, it can become a limiting factor as complexity grows rapidly. Modular design and interoperability is key. Sadly, automotive industry is way behind in this area.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
GTB

Post by GTB »

Afternoon All,

Just received the article below in one of my UK Forecourt publications! some interesting detail and financial numbers of course.

Banning sales of new ICE cars from 2030 will cost five times as much as the benefits says report:

Opponents of banning sales of new internal combustion engine cars in 2030 claim the costs will be five times greater than the benefits.

A new report by a leading consultancy, the Centre for Economics and Business Research (CEBR), suggests the environmental benefits will be worth £76bn, but the costs will add up to £400bn.

The report was sanctioned by an All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) called Fair Fuel for UK Motorists and UK Hauliers, and funded by FairFuelUK, the Alliance of British Drivers and Motorcycle Action Group.

According to the report, the major costs from the proposed ban are likely to be:

new vehicle purchases of £188bn (in extra costs);
increased time lost due to waiting while recharging EVs, valued at £47bn; and
infrastructure for electricity generation and additional charging points of £99bn.
It also notes there is likely to be a loss of tax revenue of £5.8bn a year (£2.7bn when discounted to 2022 base year terms), on average, in the scenario of a ban in comparison to a no-ban scenario, as fuel duty and VAT dwindle away.

Craig McKinlay MP, chair of the Fair Fuel APPG and Net Zero Scrutiny Group, commented: “This in-depth study from the CEBR shows unequivocally that the costs of the proposed ban on petrol and diesel vehicles would be many times the benefits.

“Strikingly, even when using the government’s own methodology on carbon pricing, the study finds that the costs are a staggering five times the estimated benefits. Other reports show the CO2 savings of electric vehicles are limited, not to mention the reality of the limited supply of the elements required for batteries largely under Chinese control and the human misery associated with the mining process.

“No policy can be justified which has such an unbalanced ratio of costs to benefits, under a range of different assumptions. I really hope the government will study these results carefully and abandon a policy that can only leave people worse off. It’s time for a more nuanced approach to decarbonising transport that allows for innovation across the automotive sector. Continuing with this rigid and authoritarian ban risks disaster.

Karl McCartney MP, a member of the Transport Select Committee, said: “There will still be ICE vehicles on land, sea and air, and maybe alternatives to fossil fuels might be a route to follow, with synthetic fuels maybe being a part of the solution of how we transport ourselves, foods, goods and materials around after 2030/2050. As a country we need to support personal choice and vehicle autonomy: the vast majority of my constituents will never contemplate the economic lunacy of an electric vehicle. A new vehicle to them and their family is the equivalent of an average eight-year-old ICE Ford Mondeo. The self-appointed metropolitan elite need to extricate their heads and wake up to the detrimental costs to our nation’s people and economy of what they have been led to believe, and have given their tacit support too, and drive back to the reality checked side of the UK road.”

Douglas McWilliams, vice chair of CEBR: “I’m not against electric vehicles, quite the opposite. But forcing their premature adoption has huge costs which are not covered by the environmental benefits. And the bulk of the environmental benefits are lost in any case through additional production emissions.”

Cheers GTB
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

How can you put a cost on helping prevent global warming and pollution??
I don’t think the motivation for doing this was ever cost?
Incredible.
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
GTB

Post by GTB »

Jon A wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:54 pm How can you put a cost on helping prevent global warming and pollution??
I don’t think the motivation for doing this was ever cost?
Incredible.
Maybe explain that thought to those that do need to pay up!!

Pollution I get, but there are those that still say Global Warming is just mother nature, we havent lived thru enough of the planets natural cycles!!

But I respect your commitment to paying to go green>

GTB
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0