Rattle accelerating

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
DavidP

Post by DavidP »

My 2017 Macan S Diesel always suffers from a very annoying metallic rattle when approaching 2000 revs on accelerating, then disappears. The Dealer can’t find anything wrong which exhaust etc. but now suggests the dashboard needs to be removed to further investigate. I am told that the Porsche used car warranty most probably won’t cover this…. Have any of you suffered from this problem?

Rusco

Post by Rusco »

Yes I have the same issue.

Same MY 2017 SD, same rattle at the same rpm. The OPC also said the same re warranty but annoyingly it went away when they had it in to investigate.

It’s a little intermittent but is there most of the time.. will be following this post closely!
andreas

Post by andreas »

My 2017 car has an annoying resonance under acceleration at lower revs. The OPC said they could replicate it and it wasn't right. Then they referred it to Porsche who claimed it was a "characteristic of the car", so nothing could be done about it. All part of the wonderful Porsche ownership experience....
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
PowerMalc

Post by PowerMalc »

Could you or Porsche or OPC let me know what all the other 'characteristics of the car' are before I take delivery of mine.
Is it a long list?
https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PPHDBG45
Macan S ordered 14-1-22 Gentian, extended Mojave, Walnut, Air, sunroof, 14 way, ACC, LCA, keyfree, surround, spare, HFW, PS+, PDLS+, Heated wheel, rear airbags, autodim, vented seats
Rusco

Post by Rusco »

andreas wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:38 pm Then they referred it to Porsche who claimed it was a "characteristic of the car", so nothing could be done about it.
Interesting take on it… surely for that to be the case it must be present on all cars the same and be demonstrably so. Sounds like an upmarket take on the old ‘it’s a feature’ brush off!
andreas

Post by andreas »

Rusco wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:20 pm

Interesting take on it… surely for that to be the case it must be present on all cars the same and be demonstrably so. Sounds like an upmarket take on the old ‘it’s a feature’ brush off!
I'm sure you're right, it's just another disappointing aspect of Porsche ownership. I expected better.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
olsenmolsen

Post by olsenmolsen »

My 2014 MacanS petrol has an engine rattle at around 2000 rpm. the rattle disappears when you're accelerating through & it doesn't affect any performance. It' very annoying so I'm taking it into a dealer next week to see whether they can find out what it is. the best guess so far is a slack timing chain and or worn tensioners. Watch this space. Michael North London