Macan EV

All Porsche Macan Electric Related Discussion
pstrat

Post by pstrat »

Don't know way anyone would rush into these things.
EV's will be around for years, only a few years left of buying a new Petrol engined cars. Enjoy them whilst you can. There will be many years of EVs only, why would you choose to jump the gun on it is baffling.

pmg

Post by pmg »

THHGTTG wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:17 am
MrBaozi wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:47 am There's still an extensive and growing waitlist for the Taycan. Can't see Porsche releasing the Macan EV while this is still the case. Personally I think Q1/Q2 2024 press/demo cars will be here. Q3 2024 when the public can get their hands on one. This is best case scenario imo.
i think they are a very different car and possibly a different price point. I’m not sure I agree that Taycan sales will affect Macan sales ( just my opinion )
yes Taycan, different factory Zuffenhausen, Macan FV production more likely to impact availability of Macan ICE's as Leipzig switches to EV production
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Agree with 2024 before Joe Public gets theor hands on one in UK. Price point difference? Not a lot, by the time you have specced the extras that should be standard I suspect you will be way into 2wd Taycan territory.
I also agree that the biggest worry is the digital side. Porsche has demonstrated a woeful ability to program software and firmware that is resilient. There are a significant number of 'issues' highlighted on Taycan forum.
I won't be rushing in.....
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Makes one wonder what planet Porsche is on.

The Jag ePace was released 5 years ago, since then there have been a plethora of electric models but alas not much in the quality SUV sector.

Even the Renault Zoe is on its second iteration.

VW have the ID range now available in particular the ID4 SUV.

The Tincan took years to develop from its Misson e concept.

As regards the software it makes zero Engineering sense to have each division do their own thing rather than having a common system throughout the Group with brand specific flash screens displayed as necessary.

Audi blazed the Group way with the eTron but to me it looks like the Group is putting its efforts into the mainstream market.

I cannot understand the petrol head mindset, I like acceleration, not the motive power hence what is not to like about putting your foot down and leaving the twin turbo V6 or V8 in your wake as the EV you are driving disappears into the distance thanks to its shedload of instant torque.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 4752

Post by Deleted User 4752 »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:37 pm Makes one wonder what planet Porsche is on.

The Jag ePace was released 5 years ago, since then there have been a plethora of electric models but alas not much in the quality SUV sector.

Even the Renault Zoe is on its second iteration.

VW have the ID range now available in particular the ID4 SUV.

The Tincan took years to develop from its Misson e concept.

As regards the software it makes zero Engineering sense to have each division do their own thing rather than having a common system throughout the Group with brand specific flash screens displayed as necessary.

Audi blazed the Group way with the eTron but to me it looks like the Group is putting its efforts into the mainstream market.

I cannot understand the petrol head mindset, I like acceleration, not the motive power hence what is not to like about putting your foot down and leaving the twin turbo V6 or V8 in your wake as the EV you are driving disappears into the distance thanks to its shedload of instant torque.
I suspect a lot of “petrol heads” haven’t tried a properly fast electric car. They are a completely different experience and utterly insane in terms of speed.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

To many ‘petrolheads’ it’s not just about neck-snapping acceleration in a straight line.

Many other things, including sound, handling & feel come into the equation. ;)

That’s why companies like Morgan are still making cars, with long waiting lists too. :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Deleted User 4752

Wing Commander wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:02 pm To many ‘petrolheads’ it’s not just about neck-snapping acceleration in a straight line.

Many other things, including sound, handling & feel come into the equation. ;)

That’s why companies like Morgan are still making cars, with long waiting lists too. :)
But the assumption is lecky cars don’t handle, which isn’t my experience. Noise can be artificially added, but I still on the fence about that. The Model 3 perf, is insanely fast, handles well, is quiet, comfortable and no worse thrown together than a macan. The looks are subjective ( looks pretty good from all angles, except the front unfortunately). Previous gen electric cars were all horrible, but modern ones not so much.

I certainly feel a Rimac or a Tincan would be more fun to drive than a Focus ST, which is more of a petrol heads car.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

^^^ and a totally different price point.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Deleted User 4752

SAC1 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:01 pm ^^^ and a totally different price point.
Absolutely, and lecky cars are stupid expensive at the moment. But from a technology perspective one is electric and one petrol and the electric ones in that ( rather crude I’ll admit ) example are better cars for petrol heads.

Perhaps a better example would be the Model 3 Performance and a 340 bmw. The model 3 would be faster and just as much fun to drive, it just ditches the soundtrack.

All moot really though because over the next decade we’ll have very little choice
GWL

Post by GWL »

A friend of mine working for a large car franchise group (which includes a few Porsche outlets) is hearing that the 1st model of Macan EV will be around the £100k mark.

A couple of asides :

I test drove a Volvo C40 Recharge (all Electric, 404 BHP) and the acceleration was phenomenal (made me almost laugh out loud)

I have watched a number of videos on You Tube recently made by disgruntled EV owners (e.g. Audi e-tron) who are getting rid of their EVs because the charging network is dire. One of them could no longer take the anxiety he was developing every time he was going to a charging station, where many chargers would be out of order, or unable to take payment and the process usually took an hour - 1/2 hour queueing, 1/2 hr charging (Not to mention the hassle from his wife questioning his sanity in buying an EV now rather than in 5 years time).

With EV cars generally £10,000 more than the ICE equivalent and a crap charging network , I don't see how the Gov't. is going to stop ICE sales by 2030 :roll:

I know my Gen 1 Turbo is expensive to run, but with the cost to change on top of the above issues, I'm sticking with it for now.
Current car : Macan GTS Gen 2
Previous :
Macan Turbo Gen 1 - my 1st Porsche :D
BMW X1 (F48)
BMW M135i