18 way seats - 24 hr to lock in - Help!

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
HertsMacan

Post by HertsMacan »

I didn't get a chance to actually spend time and drive in the 18 way seats. I am 5,10 and about 43 inch chest. When i sat in a used vehicle (couldn't drive it) to test the Bose which had 18way, i opened the back of the seat as far as it would go and it felt snug. I suppose it should?? I am not sure if i am going to like the feel over a period of time or just need to get used to it. I am paranoid because of what i have heard on here.

Are the 8 way sport seats in the gen 2 GTS the same seat frame and size as the 18 way? I may be able to drive with these seats tomorrow but i don't think they have the 18way for me to drive in.

Deleted User 4752

Post by Deleted User 4752 »

HertsMacan wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:53 am I didn't get a chance to actually spend time and drive in the 18 way seats. I am 5,10 and about 43 inch chest. When i sat in a used vehicle (couldn't drive it) to test the Bose which had 18way, i opened the back of the seat as far as it would go and it felt snug. I suppose it should?? I am not sure if i am going to like the feel over a period of time or just need to get used to it. I am paranoid because of what i have heard on here.

Are the 8 way sport seats in the gen 2 GTS the same seat frame and size as the 18 way? I may be able to drive with these seats tomorrow but i don't think they have the 18way for me to drive in.
this is one if the biggest discussion points 0n the forum and is a very personal choice. I’m sure you’ll be happy with either. I don’t know about the GTS specific seats but I have 14 way comfort seats and have driven cars with sport seats. The 14 way seats are supremely comfortable and still hold you in. The car I drove round the PEC had comfort seats and at no point did I feel i wasn’t being supported on fast corners.

to me the 18 way sport seats are not at all comfortable. I found the cushioning very firm and after a 45 min drive i had back and butt ache. I’ve driven mine with comfort seats for 5 hrs straight and felt like I could go straight out and do another five. The biggest issue with the sport seats though is the bolsters that are genuinely painful when getting in and out of the car.

For reference I’m about 2 inches shorter than you and have a similar chest measurement. I would only really recommend the 14 way seats, although i do think the 18 ways look slightly better

others will totally disagree but I recommend watching this, specifically the bit about the seats that stars at 3:25

Last edited by Deleted User 4752 on Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

I am a very similar size to you and the 8-way GTS seats in my Gen2 are just right for me. I find them very comfortable, even on a 3 hour non-stop trip. They hold you well and are very supportive. I've had no problem with ingress and egress. The bolsters are still like new after 2 years use. I have the Alcantara seat centres - warm in winter / cool in summer. I'm a big fan of these over the all leather seats.

Your OPC should be able to confirm if there is any difference in the seat frame dimensions. I would doubt that there isa ny difference.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
andreas

Post by andreas »

OK, I'll vote for the 18-way seats! I chose them for my Macan and I love them. They're very snug and supportive, and the huge range of adjustment possibilities means you can really achieve a comfortable setting. I've driven for many hours with no aches or pains.

Can't understand people who say the side bolsters are painful; they're not, although you have to get out of the seat rather than just sliding off it.

It sounds like you're not overweight, so the 18-way seats should be fine.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
pmg

Post by pmg »

andreas wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:04 pm OK, I'll vote for the 18-way seats! I chose them for my Macan and I love them. They're very snug and supportive, and the huge range of adjustment possibilities means you can really achieve a comfortable setting. I've driven for many hours with no aches or pains.

Can't understand people who say the side bolsters are painful; they're not, although you have to get out of the seat rather than just sliding off it.

It sounds like you're not overweight, so the 18-way seats should be fine.
plus one with this, I am overweight and am very happy with the 18-way. no issues on entry and regularly do drives of 2 hours plus in great comfort
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

I am rather broad in the beam and for the last 9 months I have been slumming it it the wife's Cooper S. The high bolsters have been literally a PITA. Driving the Macan back yesterday with comfort seats was bliss So it's a no from me, but Shack Urn Asson Goo.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8DH6E6
Deleted User 4752

Post by Deleted User 4752 »

Bluesnose1812 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:45 pm I am rather broad in the beam and for the last 9 months I have been slumming it it the wife's Cooper S. The high bolsters have been literally a PITA. Driving the Macan back yesterday with comfort seats was bliss So it's a no from me, but Shack Urn Asson Goo.
yeah, what he said.

as you’ll notice, this one really is down to individual tastes, although clearly everyone that says 18 way seats are comfortable is just wrong 😉
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

I don’t think this is about how comfortable these seats are, they are both pretty comfortable. The issue is that 18w have unnecessarily high thigh bolsters that simply get in the way of getting in and out. Not painfully, just inconveniently and ultimately they WILL crease as a result - you can see one month old demo cars with these creases already evident.
Of course you can prevent this to some extent by carefully lowering yourself over the bolster (both in and out) but then we are back to embuggerance! 😂
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

There is a big difference in comfort especially if you have back issues.

You will probably find that the 8 way are very similar to the 18 way overall but the 8 way have a very flat back and very, very limited adjustment.

18 way are snug for a person built slim to medium, any larger and you sit on them and not in them.

For me the 14 way are far more comfortable, especially on long journeys as there is squirm room for ones rear, this is severely lacking in an 18 way where the extra 4 ways are just the bolster adjustments.

In both 14 and 18 way I find the 4 way lumber adjustment and the fore and aft squab adjustment great to enable fine tuning of comfort.

I would always vote for the 14 way.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Had both, 18w look better, 14w is better 👍
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6