Warning Lights, Dashboard Like A Christmas Tree!

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Custard

Post by Custard »

A few months ago I was on a motorway when the Macan's dashboard lit up like a Christmas Tree, warning messages came thick and fast, ACC/PAS, All Wheel Drive unavailable, fault with the air suspension, parking brake fault, and ABS/PSM failure.

Wow! It was a lot to process!

I slowed down and limped back hugging the hard shoulder, expecting the car to grind to a halt at any minute, but to my immense relief made it home.

Next morning the warning messages had all disappeared. So I thought maybe this isn't as urgent as I'd first feared. But after about a hundred miles of driving the same messages came back.

I took the Macan in to the Porsche garage, where of course the messages refused to appear, they said there wasn't anything they could do without the warning messages visible but said they'd "re-set" the system.

There was no reoccurrence of the original messages, but then week later I got a warning about tyre pressure in one tyre. I checked the pressure on all four tyres. They were all fine but now there is a permanent warning about the pressure in ALL the tyres!

Yesterday the original warning message faults came back on, for the same multiple failures accompanied by a message to the effect that the car would only operate in first gear. But like the first time the messages disappear after the car is switched off and cools down.

It's going back to the Porsche garage, but I've sinking feeling I'll get the same fob off.

I suspect there's a few possible explanations, but they don't want to swap components because if I drive away and the fault comes back then the cost of that component will be down to them. However, that leaves me in a Catch-22. They'll "re-set" the car again, but history will surely just repeat itself and I'll be left with the same faults coming back in a month or two.

Has anyone had a similar experience, and if so any suggestions what component might be at fault and how the problem was eventually resolved?

Thanks.

Percymon

Post by Percymon »

Low battery voltage often throws all sorts of errors, particularly with the safety related systems such as traction control etc. I would expect an OPC to find a failing battery/alternator easily enough though.

Is the car parked outside in a rural area ? any nibblers around ?
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Take pictures to show OPC.

Battery issue perhaps, is a good call.
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
Giz9

Post by Giz9 »

Custard wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:32 am A few months ago I was on a motorway when the Macan's dashboard lit up like a Christmas Tree, warning messages came thick and fast, ACC/PAS, All Wheel Drive unavailable, fault with the air suspension, parking brake fault, and ABS/PSM failure.

Wow! It was a lot to process!

I slowed down and limped back hugging the hard shoulder, expecting the car to grind to a halt at any minute, but to my immense relief made it home.

Next morning the warning messages had all disappeared. So I thought maybe this isn't as urgent as I'd first feared. But after about a hundred miles of driving the same messages came back.

I took the Macan in to the Porsche garage, where of course the messages refused to appear, they said there wasn't anything they could do without the warning messages visible but said they'd "re-set" the system.

There was no reoccurrence of the original messages, but then week later I got a warning about tyre pressure in one tyre. I checked the pressure on all four tyres. They were all fine but now there is a permanent warning about the pressure in ALL the tyres!

Yesterday the original warning message faults came back on, for the same multiple failures accompanied by a message to the effect that the car would only operate in first gear. But like the first time the messages disappear after the car is switched off and cools down.

It's going back to the Porsche garage, but I've sinking feeling I'll get the same fob off.

I suspect there's a few possible explanations, but they don't want to swap components because if I drive away and the fault comes back then the cost of that component will be down to them. However, that leaves me in a Catch-22. They'll "re-set" the car again, but history will surely just repeat itself and I'll be left with the same faults coming back in a month or two.

Has anyone had a similar experience, and if so any suggestions what component might be at fault and how the problem was eventually resolved?

Thanks.
One of your ABS sensors is faulty. They need to change all four.

The ABS sensors are used for all sorts of things as well as the brakes because they basically measure the wheel roration speeds. I have had exactly what you've got. It's a relatively cheap repair. Much cheaper than the warning messages might imply!
Diesel S - Dark Blue/Luxor Beige. http://www.porsche-code.com/PFRFZG58
Deposit 9/4/2014
Locked down 6/3/2015
Built 12/5/2015. Delivered 2/6/2015
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Had similar on a BM 435 and it turned out to be a faulty ABS sensor 👍
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Custard

Post by Custard »

Thanks for these replies, all encouraging feedback!
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

When mine had an intermittent problem, the OPC had it for a few days, but it never manifested itself, Sod’s law. They said if it happens again, I needed to take photos of it as Porsche would not authorise any investigations without some evidence of the fault. And the OPC said that goes for everything.
So that may be worth noting.
Custard

Post by Custard »

Hello The Traveller, they said the same thing about photo evidence to me. At first I thought it would require operating the phone camera while driving, but the warning messages are present when stationary.
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

Yep, it's the ABS sensors. Happened to me when I had the SD. I think I posted on here about the AA man being sniffy about VW sensors on a Porsche. I think he said 'It's only an Audi'.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
oldpilot

Post by oldpilot »

Thanks Custard for a very detailed write-up. I had exactly the same messages driving back from France last week with a fully loaded car. Called my OPC and the lass I spoke to immediately said "Oh it's the cruise control. Just don't use that and all will be OK."
Shutting down the engine and restarting caused the 5 messages to disappear and we got home OK, albeit having to repeat this procedure several times.

Taking the car on a round trip to London today brought a repeat performance but worse still the engine "died" in the middle of the Hogarth roundabout and then thankfully came back to life. Also several big "clonks" from the drive as if a manual car was being driven with jerky clutch control.

Anyway, we limped home - all OK, but my OPC (Tonbridge) can't book it in until 14th April!

That's nuts - I shall argue with them on Monday. I have an extended warranty, so if push comes to shove (sic) I'll let them ride to the rescue.

Car is MY18 with air and only 28k miles.