Torque vectoring PTV

All your ordering information here!
chrisr111

Post by chrisr111 »

Rarecolour wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:11 pm Kinda pointless in a AWD vehicle.

I think it's debatable whether torque vectoring is pointless on a 2-tonne SUV, but I would argue that it's pointless on all 4WD vehicles.

The diffs in a 4WD system can usually only transfer a set amount of torque by design from side-to-side or front-to-back.

PTV+ or brake torque vectoring is used to effectively enhance the effect of the torque transfer in a positive way by braking a wheel (usually the opposite inside one).

At least that's my understanding.

FWIW my 2022 GTS has PTV+ and 'handles' way better than my 2019 S without PTS+ did, but then that's a bit like comparing apples to pears.... :P

Chris.

Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

It's amazing how divisive this option is. Some on some forums say it enhances the vehicle quite positively, this forum seem to be in the majority of saying it's not worth it.
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

Plyphon wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:11 pm It's amazing how divisive this option is. Some on some forums say it enhances the vehicle quite positively, this forum seem to be in the majority of saying it's not worth it.
Some say it contributes a lot to brake wear but i'm not so sure.

Had a warning that discs and pads were getting low at my first service but next time it went in they didn't mention brakes.

I was all ready to contradict as i ran a micrometer over the discs before i left home!
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

I saw some data on another forum saying their Macan with PTV over a few years had minimal wear on their rears, nothing out of the ordinary. Which I guess makes sense if you dont track your car.
Giz9

Post by Giz9 »

Plyphon wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:33 am I saw some data on another forum saying their Macan with PTV over a few years had minimal wear on their rears, nothing out of the ordinary. Which I guess makes sense if you dont track your car.
My front and rear brakes wore at the same rate and all were replaced together so PTV+ doesn't cause any issues with the rear brakes. Getting new all round at the same time is ideal as far as I'm concerned.
Diesel S - Dark Blue/Luxor Beige. http://www.porsche-code.com/PFRFZG58
Deposit 9/4/2014
Locked down 6/3/2015
Built 12/5/2015. Delivered 2/6/2015
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

Giz9 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:29 am
Plyphon wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:33 am I saw some data on another forum saying their Macan with PTV over a few years had minimal wear on their rears, nothing out of the ordinary. Which I guess makes sense if you dont track your car.
My front and rear brakes wore at the same rate and all were replaced together so PTV+ doesn't cause any issues with the rear brakes. Getting new all round at the same time is ideal as far as I'm concerned.
Thats good to know, thanks!