Ceramic coating - first wash

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Neil1911 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:59 am Damned impressive that youve done all that cleaning AND written it up before 09:30, insomnia?
On a weekend at 0930 I'm just having breakfast and trying to find any excuse possible not to wash the car :D
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver

Armin

Post by Armin »

Jon A wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:24 am So I have given the Macan it’s first wash after the coating has been applied. I washed the Sportage as well and used exactly the same method for comparison just out of interest. Both had a film of road crud, insect splats and usual brake dust.
No feedback required on my methodology as I am not a car wash guru and am still learning the best technique etc 😂
Both rinsed with power washer (normal water from tap) then snow foamed with Gtechnic foam. This didn’t “foam” as much as I thought it would and started dissipating almost immediately, but I then rinsed off after three minutes.
At this stage the Kia was looking like it had been rinsed with water and the Macan looked about 90% super clean so interesting. Then two bucket method Gtechnic shampoo applied with microfibre nudal mits and rinsed. Dried with microfibre soft towels (tried a leaf blower but ended up just chasing beads of water all over on the Macan).
The upshot of all this is that the Kia looks very clean and the Macan looks almost impossibly shiny and glossy so pleased with the results…
Is the £1,200 coating worth it? Well it was much easier to clean off the crud than the Kia and looks much glossier afterwards. If that continues for the next three or four years, then yes it’s worth it to me 👍
does your glass and wheels has coating as well?
Previous car:
Merc E class AMG coupe

Current
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPVXGZW7
BMW Z4 3.0l straight 6
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Armin wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:48 pm
Jon A wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:24 am So I have given the Macan it’s first wash after the coating has been applied. I washed the Sportage as well and used exactly the same method for comparison just out of interest. Both had a film of road crud, insect splats and usual brake dust.
No feedback required on my methodology as I am not a car wash guru and am still learning the best technique etc 😂
Both rinsed with power washer (normal water from tap) then snow foamed with Gtechnic foam. This didn’t “foam” as much as I thought it would and started dissipating almost immediately, but I then rinsed off after three minutes.
At this stage the Kia was looking like it had been rinsed with water and the Macan looked about 90% super clean so interesting. Then two bucket method Gtechnic shampoo applied with microfibre nudal mits and rinsed. Dried with microfibre soft towels (tried a leaf blower but ended up just chasing beads of water all over on the Macan).
The upshot of all this is that the Kia looks very clean and the Macan looks almost impossibly shiny and glossy so pleased with the results…
Is the £1,200 coating worth it? Well it was much easier to clean off the crud than the Kia and looks much glossier afterwards. If that continues for the next three or four years, then yes it’s worth it to me 👍
Yes glass, wheels and interior. Different products for glass and leather but still coated
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Armin

Post by Armin »

Jon A wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:14 pm
Armin wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:48 pm
Yes glass, wheels and interior. Different products for glass and leather but still coated
i paid £1000 for my coating to official dealership but they did not done the wheels or glass. i guess either me unlucky or you are the lucky one :D
Previous car:
Merc E class AMG coupe

Current
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPVXGZW7
BMW Z4 3.0l straight 6
SanPorMGTS

Post by SanPorMGTS »

I’ve not had my ceramic coating done yet, but the car needs a wash in the interim.

Is it okay to use the gtechniq products in meantime, I noted here that Jon got:
1. Gtechnic foam
2. G’ shampoo (applied with micro fibre mitt)
3. Dried with microfibres soft towels

Is there anything else I should get - apart from the above, I know I need two buckets with grit guards. Is there anything specific for the wheels/brakes - or as a novice, and to ease me in gently, I can just use the above for now?

Baby steps :) :)
I won’t use the karcher just yet, I’ll just use a good hose.
Thank you :)
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

SanPorMGTS wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:05 pm I’ve not had my ceramic coating done yet, but the car needs a wash in the interim.

Is it okay to use the gtechniq products in meantime, I noted here that Jon got:
1. Gtechnic foam
2. G’ shampoo (applied with micro fibre mitt)
3. Dried with microfibres soft towels

Is there anything else I should get - apart from the above, I know I need two buckets with grit guards. Is there anything specific for the wheels/brakes - or as a novice, and to ease me in gently, I can just use the above for now?

Baby steps :) :)
I won’t use the karcher just yet, I’ll just use a good hose.
Thank you :)
Sounds good to me San. Don’t be too concerned re jet wash just keep it about a metre or more from the paint. I have changed to “guzzler” drying cloths (that’s the brand) and they are like honeycomb style large cloths that just suck up the water in seconds.
Come to think that the actual cleaning products used are better chosen by their efficacy rather than brand name… 😂
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0