Do I Really Need New Brake Discs With Only 0.5mm Wear ?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
RAA

Post by RAA »

I've now had my Macan S for three years since new, having just done 37,000 miles. The brake pads needed replacing, and the OPC said the car also needed new rear discs. When I went to a local MoT garage, they ordered the new pads and discs in from Porsche UK, and I had the work done last Friday. I asked for the original discs to be left in my car boot: when I got back home, I measured the amount of wear, as being approx half a millimetre (0.5mm). Surely, half a millimetre of wear is not enough to warrant the discs needing changing (?)

What should the depth of wear be, before the discs really DO need to be changed ? (A friend of mine who is a senior technician with the racing branch of a well-known super-car manufacturer in Surrey, took a look and feel of my rear discs last week, and reckoned they DIDN'T need changing. Two other friends told me the same. My brother who has owned a Cayenne, Audis and Jaguars etc., tells me the same.)

I'm keeping my old discs to be used again ! What do other forum members think ?

(Bob, Surrey)

Percymon

Post by Percymon »

If you use Brembos website as a guide then the rear discs are 22mm thick when new and have a min thickness of 20mm - so 2mm of useable surface thickness.

OPC use brakes as a nice money earner. Any dealership will always err towards advising change of wear components if there is any chance they may wear out before the next service (2yrs these days for most). Your MOt garage were little better, they could have told you to keep hold of the new parts for another year.

Having said al;l that at 37k miles i would expect the rear pads to need replacing or not far off, more so for cars with ACC or PTV systems - Porsche will always advise pads and discs at same time, but you can often run two sets of pads for one disc
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

+1. Some Brembo discs have the minimum thickness stamped on them.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

Front wear limit for a Macan S is 32mm and 20mm for the rear. Start is 34mm and 22mm.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
bigbaldybloke

Post by bigbaldybloke »

At approx 35k miles in my previous S I needed new discs and pads on the front but only pads on the rear, this was at the supplying dealer.
Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PH8LE871
Macan GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPNV5P9
Lotus Elan +2
Mitsubishi Shogun
Mini Cooper S Electric
RAA

Post by RAA »

Thanks everyone for your views and experiences.

Bob
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

If you want to check yourself there's a little notch in the cover just below the calliper.

Slip a micrometer in and if you have spoky wheels take a photo with your phone to read the measurement.
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
HertsMacan

Post by HertsMacan »

RAA wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:41 pm I've now had my Macan S for three years since new, having just done 37,000 miles. The brake pads needed replacing, and the OPC said the car also needed new rear discs. When I went to a local MoT garage, they ordered the new pads and discs in from Porsche UK, and I had the work done last Friday. I asked for the original discs to be left in my car boot: when I got back home, I measured the amount of wear, as being approx half a millimetre (0.5mm). Surely, half a millimetre of wear is not enough to warrant the discs needing changing (?)

What should the depth of wear be, before the discs really DO need to be changed ? (A friend of mine who is a senior technician with the racing branch of a well-known super-car manufacturer in Surrey, took a look and feel of my rear discs last week, and reckoned they DIDN'T need changing. Two other friends told me the same. My brother who has owned a Cayenne, Audis and Jaguars etc., tells me the same.)

I'm keeping my old discs to be used again ! What do other forum members think ?

(Bob, Surrey)
Good for you using an independent garage but genuine Porsche parts to carry out your repairs. Like you, I am not prepared to pay the OPC's silly prices for routine and basic service requirements. Do enlighten other members on the small fortune you undoubtedly saved. Garages use the exact same tactics with tyres. They "recommend" they are changed when there is still 75% of the tread left. Its a nice little earner, as Arthur Daley would say. Totally agree, keep those old discs and use in future.
Cobnapint

Post by Cobnapint »

Main stealers aren't called main stealers for nothing - they ALL do it. It's the oldest trick in the book.

My old SLK 350 failed it's first MOT at the main dealer on brake imbalance (it was actually pulling to one side when braking at speed). I knew about it but still put it through.
When informing me that it had failed, the Merc service guy said 'our technician says it needs new discs and pads'.
Cough, splutter, what? I don't think so mate, it'll be a seized caliper.
I look it to an indy who freed it off for £75 and it was as good as gold after that.
MY23 Macan S
2012 Cayenne Diesel
2009 997.2 C4S Cab pdk
2006 997.1 C2S Man
2006 SLK 350 (factory collect)
2004 350Z
1999 Audi TT 225
1990 944 Turbo (250)
1990 Celica GT4
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

It just pays to shop around :)