So you've got £70k+ to spend on a SUV..

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Old Chimer

Post by Old Chimer »

My Jag spent a total 17 weeks back in the dealership in 3 years of ownership. I'm sure not all JLR products suffer as badly but it left a bitter taste in my mouth. Loved the car when it worked too.
'22 Macan S, GB, 14W/XL, AAS, PA/SV, ACC, LCA, PG, HF/RS, VFS, EETS, 75L, etc, etc.

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Jon A wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:35 am
Wing Commander wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:24 am The new Defender is the JLR product that tempts me the most.
They look great don’t they Simon and V8 must be a stonker!! 😂

I think that Nuclear Nick has ordered a V8. 8-)

I think I’d go basic. Base model, diesel engine and steel wheels, as per the pics above. :)

P.S. My Evoque that I ran for 3 years as my last company car never missed a beat.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
TK421

Post by TK421 »

Jon A wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:21 am
TK421 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:13 am
Percymon wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:09 am

28 months in my previous LR and only dealer visit was for its first service
Everyone I know that’s owned one (including myself) without question has had issues from day one, a lot of software issues to be fair, and some mechanical including oil leaks, but non the less issues. With 2 guys actually refusing the cars and returning (both Velars)
I also know a few lads that work at the factory and they stated they would never own one. Read into that what you will, but if you had trouble free ownership that’s fantastic as I actually really love the product, just wish they’d sort out the niggles.
My Jag never missed a beat to be fair but I think the Jags might be a bit better sorted than LR to be honest. I do think LR interiors are very nice and some of the cars such as Velar and new Defender look great too 😊
One of the JLR lads actually stated that more care is taken on the Jag Production line. There are a few stories he told me about the LR that really shocked me regarding corner cutting, can’t obviously mentioned anything on a public forum but it made my mind up.
Can’t argue at all with the LR designers, beautiful looking cars without a doubt.

Regarding the defender, good friend ordered one when they came out, broke down on him within a week, was recovered by LR had to have the battery and cables replaced, something about a fire hazard or something. :shock:
23 Macan GTS
EX - 22 Macan GTS

The final Hurrah http://www.porsche-code.com/PRSB8KW7
Scotgc

Post by Scotgc »

Never had a problem with my 2 year old RRS.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPRHCJQ5
Crayon Macan GTS on order.

Previous
L494 Range Rover Sport HSE
Audi S3
BMW F32 440i
BMW F30 335d Xdrive
BMW E92 330d
TK421

Post by TK421 »

To be fair LR are consistent, they’ve wore the least reliable manufacturer year on year for quite some time now, and by some considerable margin as well. (Quick internet search will show just how bad it is, visit owners forums for even more insight and what people are willing to accept just to get behind the wheel of an LR)
In the SUV range they normally have at least 3 of there vehicles dominating the least reliable vehicles, again quite an accolade and must take some serious effort to ensure this poor rating. Personally I think it’s awful that what’s regarded as a premium UK product has such a bad reputation and understandably so. They have a very long way to go to get anywhere near the Germans let alone the Japanese and Korean levels of reliability. Yet, people still buy them because they look the business, the last bit I can’t argue with they do look the part. I’ve been tempted a few times and even been offered strong discounts, but still my head overruled and I move on in hope one day they sort it out.

872AB93A-B259-4AAA-8E17-5FDB3A90E100.jpeg

23 Macan GTS
EX - 22 Macan GTS

The final Hurrah http://www.porsche-code.com/PRSB8KW7
Seventy Seven

Post by Seventy Seven »

TK421 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:47 am First thing to check when buying any LR car is what courtesy cars your local dealership has as that’s the car you’ll mostly be driving through your ownership. Plus note you’ll have low mileage when selling, every cloud and all that. As you were
:D I said I would never buy a JLR or black car again…. However, lately I really like the short wheel based Defender in all black! :shock:

Will be sticking to P cars….
Current:
997.2 C2S, Meteor Grey, PDK (with paddles), PSE, Sports Chrono, etc.... (2009)
Macan, Volcano Grey, 21” RS Spyder Design Alloys (2020): http://www.porsche-code.com/PLVB2FZ0
Partysausage

Post by Partysausage »

TK421 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:47 am First thing to check when buying any LR car is what courtesy cars your local dealership has as that’s the car you’ll mostly be driving through your ownership. Plus note you’ll have low mileage when selling, every cloud and all that. As you were
Here here… and joking aside…

Point taken and I know someone who’s effectively taking charge of a group of people who’ve had the same issue (Discovery Sport) and is looking (and will) at taking LR to court.

But…

Also know several people who’ve had plenty of miles and good motoring out of 2/3 RRS or velars over 3/4/5 years and had no bother.
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Just been looking at some sales stats about the Jag. In the UK and worlwide, the sales have been really terrible. I think if it wasn't for the foreign investment, from you know where, it would have been in real trouble. And maybe as it has been previously in the UK hands it would have gone belly up.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

TK421 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:48 pm To be fair LR are consistent, they’ve wore the least reliable manufacturer year on year for quite some time now, and by some considerable margin as well. (Quick internet search will show just how bad it is, visit owners forums for even more insight and what people are willing to accept just to get behind the wheel of an LR)
In the SUV range they normally have at least 3 of there vehicles dominating the least reliable vehicles, again quite an accolade and must take some serious effort to ensure this poor rating. Personally I think it’s awful that what’s regarded as a premium UK product has such a bad reputation and understandably so. They have a very long way to go to get anywhere near the Germans let alone the Japanese and Korean levels of reliability. Yet, people still buy them because they look the business, the last bit I can’t argue with they do look the part. I’ve been tempted a few times and even been offered strong discounts, but still my head overruled and I move on in hope one day they sort it out.
You’ve got a real downer on LR don’t you? That’s four posts during the day on how bad you think they are. There’s no doubt that for some time LR have appeared in the lower regions of reliability surveys, but they seem to have really upset you.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Wing Commander wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:32 pm
Jon A wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:35 am
Wing Commander wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:24 am The new Defender is the JLR product that tempts me the most.
They look great don’t they Simon and V8 must be a stonker!! 😂

I think that Nuclear Nick has ordered a V8. 8-)

I think I’d go basic. Base model, diesel engine and steel wheels, as per the pics above. :)

P.S. My Evoque that I ran for 3 years as my last company car never missed a beat.
Yes that’s right Simon. Due to collect it next Wednesday following its full PPF. Obviously I’m hoping it will be as reliable as your Evoque, and many other owners’ Land Rovers, but I’m well aware of LR’s track record on the reliability front so I’m turning up the optimism button at the moment!

Porsches do much better in the surveys, and mine have been great so far, but forums like this tend to distort the true picture, with owners keen to air their grievances rather than their delight. Hence those one or two on here expressing doubts about their prospective purchase, which is rather sad I think. My advice would be don’t listen to the naysayers, press on and the probable result is that you will be delighted!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA