Issue with gearbox - 2018 GTS

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
marcusjames

Post by marcusjames »

Hi

Hoping one of you may have some advice on some ongoing issues with my Macan.

Back in June (at 14k miles) the car displayed an amber "R gear not possible" warning. The car was recovered to OPC and given an oil change. A few weeks later the issue returned and this time the valve body was replaced. A month after this, the issue return and the gearbox was replaced.

This week the warning came back! I'm out of ideas and I suspect so is the OPC. The car has been skipping and hesitating for months but they are insistent the transfer box is ok (may not be connected to this issue). There have been lumpy gear changes at slow speeds for months.

Has anyone experienced this warning and have some advice? I'm losing trust in the car now.

Thanks

Marcus

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

marcusjames wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:08 pm Hi

Hoping one of you may have some advice on some ongoing issues with my Macan.

Back in June (at 14k miles) the car displayed an amber "R gear not possible" warning. The car was recovered to OPC and given an oil change. A few weeks later the issue returned and this time the valve body was replaced. A month after this, the issue return and the gearbox was replaced.

This week the warning came back! I'm out of ideas and I suspect so is the OPC. The car has been skipping and hesitating for months but they are insistent the transfer box is ok (may not be connected to this issue). There have been lumpy gear changes at slow speeds for months.

Has anyone experienced this warning and have some advice? I'm losing trust in the car now.

Thanks

Marcus
Very long shot but would be worth ruling out wheel ABS sensors. No idea how this would bring up such a warning but sometimes with these systems logic doesn't apply!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Does anyone know where the sensor for the speedo is located? The lumpy gear changes reminded me of an experience (back in 1999) with a Mondeo automatic. The drive to the speedo was lost and the gearbox virtually stopped functioning. Starting with the selector in low and then at what I thought was an appropriate speed moving it to drive allowed me to complete the journey. The move from low to drive was an instant change and lumpy just fails to describe it.

Like Nick's suggestion this is another long shot but it's beginning to look as if your problem is not with the gearbox itself but somewhere in the control system.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

May also be worth keeping an eye on this thread, most specifically the recent posts on page 6, posted yesterday.. https://www.macanforum.com/threads/i-ju ... es.183224/
marcusjames

Post by marcusjames »

Waiting for the dealer to confirm their diagnosis.

Whilst waiting, I've calculated that since the beginning of November the car has been in their workshop more days than it's been in my possession (53%). I know that's geeky but I got bored waiting for their call.

I suspect they will replace the valve body yet again and return back to me, after emptying my tank of fuel again. I'm starting to lose patience with this OPC.