Is Paint Protection Film a Must for a New 2022 Macan?

Cleaning and detailing your Macan.
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

BanZ wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:08 pm Expecting sparks to fly here but….

I have watched a few videos which suggest from their tests that wax will protect your car from stone chips far better than gtechniq ceramic coating. One video had a very basic test where they had each coating on the same panel and then tried scratching/hitting it with a lighter. The waxed side held up significantly better.

I’d assume but seen no tests that ppf would protect against stone chips even better(did see a video from USA where the owner had significant holes in their ppf from all the impacts over a few years). But as with all these things it depends what you are treating your car for/protecting against.
I never thought ceramic was a protection against impacts, I thought it was more to do with water beading and thus easier cleaning??

Could have got that hideously wrong though… 😳
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0

Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Jon A wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:11 pm
BanZ wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:08 pm Expecting sparks to fly here but….

I have watched a few videos which suggest from their tests that wax will protect your car from stone chips far better than gtechniq ceramic coating. One video had a very basic test where they had each coating on the same panel and then tried scratching/hitting it with a lighter. The waxed side held up significantly better.

I’d assume but seen no tests that ppf would protect against stone chips even better(did see a video from USA where the owner had significant holes in their ppf from all the impacts over a few years). But as with all these things it depends what you are treating your car for/protecting against.
I never thought ceramic was a protection against impacts, I thought it was more to do with water beading and thus easier cleaning??

Could have got that hideously wrong though… 😳
No you haven't!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Just using an old thread, but has anyone on here had their side blades PPF’d, and if so has it been okay?
Macan S MY 2023
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Skyway wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:27 pm Just using an old thread, but has anyone on here had their side blades PPF’d, and if so has it been okay?
I've had the whole car PPF'd they are fine. That said, they were painted, I assume the rough plastic articles wouldn't have PPF applied.

On the subject of PPF I should make a couple of observations in light of my 6 months experience:
  • It's edges are more obvious (to me) than I expected, albeit in only a few places, e.g. where it's fitted round the roof rails;
  • An issue arose with muck behind the film at the front of the sill,

20231030_095530.jpg

there were a number of possible causes but it was quickly sorted;
  • Another issue occurred on a door handle, the PPF covers the exposed surface and it's edges don't meet at the back, this wrinkle appeared,

ppf crinkle.jpg

again rectified without fuss;
On the positive side:
  • Washing is not in the least stressful, only ONE bucket needed, more vigour and less chemicals can be applied to remove tar or dead insects
  • Contact with stationary objects, bins, fences and country lane hedges is neither drama, nor crisis!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the response here. Much appreciated. I get a little 'edge' grime in some of the 'relief' areas which generally washes out. I also use the XPEL PPF cleaner occassionally and keep a layer of XPEL Ceramic Boost on it it occasionally. I only have the front end including headlights and door mirrors done.

I have the front end with lots of gloss black and that was all PPF'd and looks great. My concern with the gloss black side blades I have is exactly that - they're gloss black which seems to need careful attention in order to avoid swirling etc.

I'm think about getting them done.

Has anyone on here had the gloss black side blades for enough time to undertand how well they resist the elements and stay looking good?
Macan S MY 2023
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

@Neil1911

Hi Neil, could you do me a favour and check how many pieces of PPF were used to cover your sides (assuming you have them covered)

My detailer has said that the front side blade is one piece, but the rear door side blade is two pieces because of the contour.

I'd like to validate that this is the only way, and also ask if the join is visbile or not?

Thanks
Macan S MY 2023
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Skyway wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:06 pm @Neil1911

Hi Neil, could you do me a favour and check how many pieces of PPF were used to cover your sides (assuming you have them covered)

My detailer has said that the front side blade is one piece, but the rear door side blade is two pieces because of the contour.

I'd like to validate that this is the only way, and also ask if the join is visbile or not?

Thanks
At the next opportunity without getting drenched!
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Thanks

Those rain clouds are definitely the gift that keeps on giving 🙁
Macan S MY 2023
homerdog

Post by homerdog »

Skyway wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:27 pm Has anyone on here had the gloss black side blades for enough time to undertand how well they resist the elements and stay looking good?
Yes, my previous Macan's side blades had bad gravel rash, particularly in front of the rear wheels, so had PPF applied to the new one - 2 years on, not a mark on them.
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Skyway wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:06 pm how many pieces of PPF were used to cover your sides (assuming you have them covered)

Sideblades, one on each, however, the rear has a "slit" to accommodate the shape. We're assuming here that all sideblades are the same shape, safe? Here are pictures, I had to kneel on the floor with an extra LED light to see the end of the split:

Rear upshot.jpg