Drainage ducts need cleaning Sir. Kerching!!

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

I would like to know exactly how the OPC clear the drains
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'

Old Chimer

Post by Old Chimer »

bennachie wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:51 am I would like to know exactly how the OPC clear the drains
I'd be more interested to know the circumstances that lead to the drains blocking, and how this could be prevented.

Presumably the roof has to be opened for leaves, etc to gain entry to the gullies in the first place. Eg, if it's never opened the drains will never block?

Can the drain holes not be covered with a fine mesh such that water can still drain but other crap is excluded?
'22 Macan S, GB, 14W/XL, AAS, PA/SV, ACC, LCA, PG, HF/RS, VFS, EETS, 75L, etc, etc.
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

Not a workshop procedure, but did find this service bulletin..

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/ ... 1-9999.pdf
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Percymon wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:41 am Not a workshop procedure, but did find this service bulletin..

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/ ... 1-9999.pdf
This is interesting and obvious now I think about it. It’s not about checking and unblocking drains - if there’s water anywhere in the interior you need to fix the sunroof seals!!
This would definitely be a warranty issue but happens so rarely now in other makes…
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Old Chimer wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:37 am
bennachie wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:51 am I would like to know exactly how the OPC clear the drains
I'd be more interested to know the circumstances that lead to the drains blocking, and how this could be prevented.

Presumably the roof has to be opened for leaves, etc to gain entry to the gullies in the first place. Eg, if it's never opened the drains will never block?

Can the drain holes not be covered with a fine mesh such that water can still drain but other crap is excluded?
Mine were blocked with mud, probably just dust mixed with rain. The issue is that the ends of the pipes are flattened like a birds beak to prevent water from going up the pipes if the car is submerged or in a deep puddle. In reality I can never see water going up the pipes unless there is some sort of syphon effect, so I cut the ends off the pipes. So now my drains flow properly and there is nowhere to allow the muck to get built up.
I honestly do not think leaves would get into the gulleys and drains, its probably more if the car is standing under a tree for a while the leaves may turn to mush and then get into the drains?

As said previously, I had exactly the same problem with my old BMW 5 series estate with pano roof, the design was exactly the same and I also cut the flattened ends off the pipes on that car and I never had an issue again.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

There is a TSB for a new drain cleaning tool - can't access the detail though

TSB #No. 2123
DATE ANNOUNCED:
OCT 26, 2021

Special tools information for a new roof drain cleaning too

Porsche pipe cleaner and compressed air spray can coming to the next Tequipment catalogue ?
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

I don't have the Pano and haven't even seen a drain but I'd be thinking about "rodding them" with something like a nylon guitar string or maybe a suitable strimmer cord. Not too tight a fit but enough strength to feed through. If pipe cleaners came in 2m lengths...... maybe they do?

How about pressure from a bicycle pump, syringe or drastically airline?

NO WARRANTY IS OFFERED OR IMPLIED IN THESE SUGGESTIONS, USERS UNDERTAKE ANY AND ALL PROCEDURES ENTIRELY AT THEIR OWN RISK! :lol:

Percymon's post seems to add some credence.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

I read one of the problems, apart from them blocking is separation at a joint buried in the middle of the pipe which has lead to water getting into the front foot well, so would suggest pushing anything down or up there.

You would think using one continuous piece of pipe would make more sense but then I'm not a car designer so what do I know???

Also older cars seem to have benefited from cutting off the 'duckbillend ends at the bottom of the pipes to allow water to egress more easily.

Someone posted a porsche produced diagram showing the pipes. Might be on the US Macan chat
andreas

Post by andreas »

It's reasonable to assume that most people will close the pano roof when it's raining, or when washing the car. If it's closed, there's very little space for water to get in to the roof mechanism, so in normal circumstances the drains should cope. OPCs seem to "test" the roof drains by pouring a litre or so of water rapidly in to the channel revealed when the roof is open. The drains aren't intended to cope with this volume of water, so the channel will overflow and water will be visible in the boot area. This doesn't mean the drains won't cope normally; it's just an easy way for the OPC to justify relieving the owner of £300 or so. The duckbill valves on the bottom of the drain tubes are a poor design and will encourage blocking - I've cut them off on my car.

The drain tubes are a push-fit on to the roof channel assembly. For that reason, I'd be very wary of using compressed air or mechanical methods from the top - if the tube is pushed off, the headliner will need to come off to replace the tubes.

I've treated the rubber roof seals with silicone lubricant to try to keep them supple.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
mueslibrown

Post by mueslibrown »

andreas wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:42 pm It's reasonable to assume that most people will close the pano roof when it's raining, or when washing the car. If it's closed, there's very little space for water to get in to the roof mechanism, so in normal circumstances the drains should cope. OPCs seem to "test" the roof drains by pouring a litre or so of water rapidly in to the channel revealed when the roof is open. The drains aren't intended to cope with this volume of water, so the channel will overflow and water will be visible in the boot area. This doesn't mean the drains won't cope normally; it's just an easy way for the OPC to justify relieving the owner of £300 or so. The duckbill valves on the bottom of the drain tubes are a poor design and will encourage blocking - I've cut them off on my car.

The drain tubes are a push-fit on to the roof channel assembly. For that reason, I'd be very wary of using compressed air or mechanical methods from the top - if the tube is pushed off, the headliner will need to come off to replace the tubes.

I've treated the rubber roof seals with silicone lubricant to try to keep them supple.
So this was what I was wondering - is the water simply seeping in through the rubber seal/joints - I've used the Sonax 'rubber stick' in the past on my cabrios so might give the seal a light once over ... well the bits I can reach.
2021 Turbo (Collected 11/21) | Dolomite Silver | Half Garnet Red Leather | Pano | 18 Way Seats | PASM + Air | PTVP | Sports Chrono | PSP | PSE | 21" 911 Turbo Wheels | Gloss Black Trims | Bose