Repaired alloy - lacquer chipped off, new or existing repair

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
randomscot22

Post by randomscot22 »

Looking for some advice / critique. We had front driver alloy (20-inch RS Spyder) on our 2018 Macan S repaired ca. April last year (under Car Care Plan alloy insurance). The same alloy now has a chip in the lacquer. I sent photos to CCP as the area looked very similar to where the original damage was. They've come back and said (after checking with repair company) this is new damage.

From my perspective the area looks very similar. Unfortunately the tyres have been replaced since so difficult to prove this. I also realise there are a lot of spokes and so I maybe being an idiot and it is new damage ! Interested in thoughts / critique on this before taking further.

Here are some pictures - apologies they aren't perfect:

1. The original damage April/21

21-03 Closeup IMG_1051.jpg

2. Picture I took to show damage to lacquer November/21

21-11 Closeup IMG_2619.jpeg

3. Picture I took this morning - looks like further erosion January 22

22-01 Closeup IMG_3079.jpeg

Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

randomscot22 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:51 am Looking for some advice / critique. We had front driver alloy (20-inch RS Spyder) on our 2018 Macan S repaired ca. April last year (under Car Care Plan alloy insurance). The same alloy now has a chip in the lacquer. I sent photos to CCP as the area looked very similar to where the original damage was. They've come back and said (after checking with repair company) this is new damage.

From my perspective the area looks very similar. Unfortunately the tyres have been replaced since so difficult to prove this. I also realise there are a lot of spokes and so I maybe being an idiot and it is new damage ! Interested in thoughts / critique on this before taking further.

Here are some pictures - apologies they aren't perfect:

1. The original damage April/21

21-03 Closeup IMG_1051.jpg

2. Picture I took to show damage to lacquer November/21

21-11 Closeup IMG_2619.jpeg

3. Picture I took this morning - looks like further erosion January 22

22-01 Closeup IMG_3079.jpeg
Certainly looks like the surface layer coming away from the original patching up, thats definitely not a "scrape". Was the repair guaranteed? If they won't take responsibility now give it time its looking as if all will be revealed in due course.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

Looks to me like the repair area was compromised when fitting the new tyres, and has now failed - there are witness marks from the tyre machine.

Unless the wheel was acid dipped to remove all the previous paint and lacquer then the wheel will never be as good as the original finish for durability
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Which company did that repair?
Macan S MY 2023
andreas

Post by andreas »

Looks like a quick and cheap patch repair which has failed. As Percymon said, the only sure way is to acid dip the wheel and apply new powder coat to the whole wheel.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
keelolo

Post by keelolo »

There's a small nick in the grey paint on the next spoke down - this doesn't look like it is present in the first photo of the original damage. Could that be why they said it looked like a different area?
2017MY GTS - Gone
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Lesson to be learned for all of us, photograph the whole wheel so the tyre valve is visible as well as the damaged area.

You then have a record.

Also on my SD I had to have a tyre repaired following a puncture and after watching how the Kwik Fit not so better fitter was as rough as the Badgers ….. I vowed never to use them again and only use an OPC.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

Col Lamb wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:34 pm Lesson to be learned for all of us, photograph the whole wheel so the tyre valve is visible as well as the damaged area.

You then have a record.

Also on my SD I had to have a tyre repaired following a puncture and after watching how the Kwik Fit not so better fitter was as rough as the Badgers ….. I vowed never to use them again and only use an OPC.
I watch them like a hawk. A kwik fit guy trashed two alloys on my Manta when I was a teen. Never forgot that!!!
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

That looks like a bad repair. On Pic 2, the area surrounding the present defect is clearly visible, with different shading extending as far back as the repair.
As there doesn’t seem to be any tyre lever scrapes around the rim of the defect, adjacent to it. One can likely assume that the repaired area, was not a good one. It looks like the repaired area was only painted, poorly, and not the whole wheel.
andreas

Post by andreas »

Col Lamb wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:34 pm
I had my Macan tyres replaced by Elite Tyres in Rainham. They have a Hunter Revolution automatic tyre changer, which cleverly avoids damaging the rims in any way. Have a look at the video in the link below...

Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)